August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Today has a "surprise" 90 feel to it.

Probably depends on when tonight's marine push starts to take effect.

850s at 19C with light offshore flow, good enough to get it done. Marine push will probably come too late.

12z Euro ensembles look a lot different than the op at day 10.

attachicon.gif image.png

Looks like the ensembles don't like cutting off that low. This heat event could end up being another mirage.

Hard to tell without looking at the individual ensemble members, it could just have trouble figuring out the strength/location of the cutoff. The Canadian at 240 hours looks pretty similar to the Euro.

Hard to tell without looking at the individual ensemble members, it could just have trouble figuring out the strength/location of the cutoff. The Canadian at 240 hours looks pretty similar to the Euro.

Hard to say. Models seem to be struggling with the pattern evolution following the weekend/early week ULL.

Given the tendencies this summer it wouldn't at all surprise me for the trough to trend closer and the offshore ridge further east/stronger.

Snowwizz you seem to learn nothing. You do this all winter long. This is a lock or that is a lock. The weekend isn't here yet but in your mind it's already been cool. Wake up man.

Graceful you are. Is Snowwiz not the one of the kindest human beings there is? Heart of a child, filled with faith. Love you Jim!

• Like 3

Graceful you are. Is Snowwiz not the one of the kindest human beings there is? Heart of a child, filled with faith. Love you Jim!

I didn't really get that attack. The models are looking cool this weekend. That is a pretty reasonable range to talk about. It's not like he was saying a January snowstorm was a lock.

#6!

Amazing to think that we already had 22 90's by this time last year.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

83° for a high today here. Got to see the Blue Angels fly right overhead as they were heading in for their practice runs.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

83° for a high today here. Got to see the Blue Angels fly right overhead as they were heading in for their practice runs.

This could end up being one of the coolest Seafair weekends ever.  It will be interesting to see how it actually plays out.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This could end up being one of the coolest Seafair weekends ever.  It will be interesting to see how it actually plays out.

I have a co-worker moving out to Seattle this weekend. I told her this time of year is usually perfect, but her first weekend will probably be unusually cool/cloudy.

A forum for the end of the world.

I have a co-worker moving out to Seattle this weekend. I told her this time of year is usually perfect, but her first weekend will probably be unusually cool/cloudy.

She needs to be aware the game has totally changed. Throw climo out the window.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

This could end up being one of the coolest Seafair weekends ever. It will be interesting to see how it actually plays out.

Pretty nice Saturday and maybe part of Sunday. It looks pretty sunny for Saturday now and the ULL is southwest of us on Sunday still which might allow for a decent day early on.

Makes you happy though when summer events are ruined. I remember you gleefully laughing at kids playing baseball in the cold rain back in May one year.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We usually do summer and early autumn right.  No doubt about it.  I would still like to see a return to the cooler / drier summers we used to have though.  The ocean must have been consistently cold during the first quarter of the 20th century.  That would probably explain the combination of suppressed precip and consistently cool temps we sued to have during the summer.  The key to having that kind of summer seems to be having the Pacific high dominant enough to keep the 4 corners high pushed away from us.  Something we have seen at times this summer.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty nice Saturday and maybe part of Sunday. It looks pretty sunny for Saturday now and the ULL is southwest of us on Sunday still which might allow for a decent day early on.

Makes you happy though when summer events are ruined. I remember you gleefully laughing at kids playing baseball in the cold rain back in May one year.

ULL being further southwest would usually lead to increased rain chances as well. Hmmm....perhaps even better opportunities for Jim to celebrate in the misery of others.

A forum for the end of the world.

I also told her it doesn't actually rain much in the winter, and white Christmas's are quite common. 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cruel.

Even during the good old days White Christmasses were far less common than white Groundhogs Days (which happened reasonably often) .

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

ULL being further southwest would usually lead to increased rain chances as well. Hmmm....perhaps even better opportunities for Jim to celebrate in the misery of others.

Not per the very reliable ECMWF.   Its dry for the Seattle area all day now on Sunday and then rain by Sunday evening.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

To set the record straight.  I wasn't gleeful about the kid's baseball games being rained out.  I was pointing out how crazy it was that year in that regard.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

To set the record straight.  I wasn't gleeful about the kid's baseball games being rained out.  I was pointing out how crazy it was that year in that regard.

OK Jim.   Thanks for the clarification.

You actually remember that?

Not per the very reliable ECMWF.   Its dry for the Seattle area all day now on Sunday and then rain by Sunday evening.

It could still be pretty dark though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

OK Jim.   Thanks for the clarification.

You actually remember that?

The real interesting point is that you remember it.  And...yes I do.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We usually do summer and early autumn right.  No doubt about it.  I would still like to see a return to the cooler / drier summers we used to have though.  The ocean must have been consistently cold during the first quarter of the 20th century.  That would probably explain the combination of suppressed precip and consistently cool temps we sued to have during the summer.  The key to having that kind of summer seems to be having the Pacific high dominant enough to keep the 4 corners high pushed away from us.  Something we have seen at times this summer.

Were summers really drier back then? I don't see much evidence for that. If anything, it seems like our summers are slightly drier now than they used to be. SEA has had a couple of anomalously wet summer months the last few years but that has been isolated right around the Seattle area, it's been normal to the north and south.

Our summers are obviously quite a bit warmer than they used to be though.

The real interesting point is that you remember it. And...yes I do.

Yeah... I remember thinking you must like it when other people are miserable in the weather. But then you became the loudest complainer of the normal gloom here for a good part of the year.

I suspect MN will be a bit too warm for you too, then.

Won't be doing yardwork there... just playing all day and usually in the water with ice cold drinks. It should be warm but not real hot.

WRF for Saturday afternoon...

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/intcld.48.0000.gif

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/wa_tsfc.48.0000.gif

Were summers really drier back then? I don't see much evidence for that. If anything, it seems like our summers are slightly drier now than they used to be. SEA has had a couple of anomalously wet summer months the last few years but that has been isolated right around the Seattle area, it's been normal to the north and south.

Our summers are obviously quite a bit warmer than they used to be though.

Yes.  I was referring to the late 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th.  Most summers were extremely dry.  At least in Seattle.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9