May 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Yikes, it's been a rough week for the GFS. The correlation scores are approaching coin flip territory. :lol:

#GooFuS

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/4D21AABD-831A-4231-B132-E7671944EA5B_zps79lccwhh.jpg

• Like 1

This all stems from the GFS's inability to properly simulate tropical convection, due to the fact it's an old school spectral model with a very outdated cumulus parameterization(s).

This all stems from the GFS's inability to properly simulate tropical convection, due to the fact it's an old school spectral model with a very outdated cumulus parameterization(s).

I got this word for word in a fortune cookie at dinner this evening.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yikes, it's been a rough week for the GFS. The correlation scores are approaching coin flip territory. :lol:

#GooFuS

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/4D21AABD-831A-4231-B132-E7671944EA5B_zps79lccwhh.jpg

Yeah, it's funny, most the time the GFS isn't that much worse than the Euro, but every once in awhile it falls WAY behind.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Yeah, it's funny, most the time the GFS isn't that much worse than the Euro, but every once in awhile it falls WAY behind.

Yeah, and it always seems to happen during MJO waves or the inception/termination of the Asian summer monsoons.

Coincidence, I think not. This model just struggles with tropical convection, plain and simple. It seems to perform much better during strong ENSO periods, which are often devoid of MJO activity due to dominance of the low frequency background boundary conditions.

I got this word for word in a fortune cookie at dinner this evening.

This makes you very important. Somehow.

82/50 here... gorgeous day.

It was 83 on Lake Sammamish this afternoon... kids actually went swimming which I thought was a little crazy.    The lake was very busy and there was a wait to launch which is unusual.  

We figured out a way to keep my daughter safe since she insisted on being in the water.   :)

18558625_1333138913420980_77852416369519

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We're finally starting to see some model agreement w/ regards to the timing of the MJO bifurcation out of the EHEM. If this holds true, June will be a -PNA/+AO month, with a trough axis west of the continental divide an Aleutian/GOA anticyclone.

This supports the low-frequency-derived pattern analogs favoring a cooler than average June in the PNW and much of the Intermountain West as well.

Looks like we'll even get a taste of the possible June trough axis this upcoming week. If the trough axis does end up around here it will be interesting to see how much forcing comes along with it.

Cool'ish and moisture is fine, I just hope another June 13th 2001 isn't in the cards when 17" accumulated here in downtown. I love snow but June snow just isn't right.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like we'll even get a taste of the possible June trough axis this upcoming week. If the trough axis does end up around here it will be interesting to see how much forcing comes along with it.

Cool'ish and moisture is fine, I just hope another June 13th 2001 isn't in the cards when 17" accumulated here in downtown. I love snow but June snow just isn't right.

Snow does not feel right in April and May either.   17 inches in June is just crazy.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, a summer solstice snowstorm would feel like the apocalypse to me, given what I'm used to at that point. Though, it wasn't too long ago that the majority of snowfall in the US occurred during the summer. ;)

• Like 1

Western MT saw heavy June snowfalls in both 2001 and 2008...in both cases, following major heat waves in May here in the PNW. 

• Like 2

06z GFS is the first run of any model to knock down the ridge already on Memorial Day.   The ECMWF and EPS showed nothing even close to that solution... but I assume the 06Z GFS will be the trail blazer on this one.  :)

Snow does not feel right in April and May either.   17 inches in June is just crazy.

The April snow wasn't too bad but I agree about May. Definitely easy to lose track that it's almost Memorial Day when it's still snowing.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Western MT saw heavy June snowfalls in both 2001 and 2008...in both cases, following major heat waves in May here in the PNW. 

Looks like 2008 was the last time significant accumulating snowfall in June occurred in this area. Interesting point about the May heat in the PNW and Western MT snowfall correlation.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looks like 2008 was the last time significant accumulating snowfall in June occurred in this area. Interesting point about the May heat in the PNW and Western MT snowfall correlation.

That June 2008 trough was cold. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

We really deserve it. I don't know how anybody got through this spring without crippling depression.

If you managed to, there is clearly something deeply wrong with you. Might want to seek therapy if the suicidal thoughts were occurring on a less than weekly basis.

It's been a long, agonizing six months since our last record-courting torchy period.

Sarcastic Jesse is back!   Must be turning nice.   ;)

12Z ECMWF is perfection through day 10 and still no signs of a big crash at 240 hours.   Good enough for me right now.  

If you managed to, there is clearly something deeply wrong with you. Might want to seek therapy if the suicidal thoughts were occurring on a less than weekly basis.

I didn't see a single smile when I was there last month. And I was there for a wedding.

A forum for the end of the world.

12Z ECMWF is perfection through day 10 and still no signs of a big crash at 240 hours.   Good enough for me right now.  

Just think though, we'll have a trough at some point in June. That means you can't enjoy any of the next 10 days because in the back of your mind, you'll know that the nice weather won't last forever.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

At least the 12z Euro came in a little cooler overall than the 00z. Gotta focus on the small things.

Tragic to have a dry period after 3.5 months of almost daily rain and the second record breaking wet winter in row.

We need a wet and cold month to offset this... makes sense. :)

Cooler and dry is great too.

That would be good too. I am cheering for dry... don't care as much how it gets there. That's just me.

You said you are hoping for a wet and cold June. As most people are... I am sure. :)