PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

3 hours ago, Jginmartini said:

Love the timer!  Holding the arctic front accountable and to be on time 😱

Small timer updates based on latest guidance. 🤣🤣 Snow Sunday, modified arctic on Wednesday thanks to the low.

Best version of the script yet IMO with the cold upper-level-low back in the cast of characters. Act 2 plots better now.

• Snow 1

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Fake cold must be here. Only 35 currently. 

Not really fake cold... 925mb temps are pretty chilly today.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-0954400.png

• Like 4
  • Shivering 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not really fake cold... 925mb temps are pretty chilly today.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-0954400.png

On second thought... maybe that is showing the low level cold because the 925mb temps are higher over the mountains.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, High Desert Mat? said:

I’ll bet that rip run is a huge outlier. Like Josh in high school. 

Last night's ECMWF operational and control runs were certainly extreme outliers compared to the rather boring ensemble Mean. We'll probably get something in between as usual. If we do get those lows dropping south that will really help midweek cold and snow even in those uninhabited territories south of PDX.  😇🤣

I can't remember the ECMWF and control run being in such lock step on every run and the EPS completely disagreeing.    Very confusing.   Might speak to the volatility of the pattern but its really hard to discount the ECMWF and control when they are in perfect agreement in the 7-10 day period.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

idk the pattern looks the same to me. Maybe the EPS is missing something... 

The pattern actually looks different as well by the middle of the next week. 

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1667200.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1667200.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Looks like the OP is quite a bit warmer than the mean so far.  Also, does anyone know how degraded the resolution is on EPS compared to OP? 

ecmwf-seattle-us-476n-12.jpeg

The high-res model is 9 km resolution and each of the ensemble members are 18 km resolution according to: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I was worried about pipes bursting last December because we were going to be out of town.    Similar concern for next week but at least we will be home.     

What kind of HVAC do you have?  I can give you some tips on preventing it.