August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

58-60 in the house in middle of summer is comfortable? I would never let it get that cold in my house during the winter with jeans and a sweater.

I would be miserable with a temperature in the 50s in the house... the rest of the family would hate it even more.  I am not even sure how you would get your house down into the 50s in JJA here.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

58-60 in the house in middle of summer is comfortable? I would never let it get that cold in my house during the winter with jeans and a sweater.

It's worth it!  When we can manage to get it that cold at night, we will still be at 68-70 inside when it is 80-85 outside.  58-60 is pushing it as far as comfort but we just sleep under blankets.  In the morning I am up and out the door within 30-40 minutes, and as for Mrs Chewbacca, our bathroom has a huge light strip over the mirror with 10-12 of those decorative globe bulbs (its as bright as the surface of the sun in there) to keep her warm.  Between those lights and the steam of the shower, it's a race for her to get her makeup on before she breaks out into a sweat.  

The MJO will return to the Indian Ocean sometime during early/mid August.

End result of that could be a -PNA/Plains ridge pattern and an Atlantic hurricane burst from 8/10 - 8/20, following what might be a very warm 8/1 - 8/10 in the PNW/western Canada.

Looks like 2/3 for me this time.

8/1-8/10 PNW heatwave - check

8/10-8/20 Atlantic hurricane burst - check

8/10-8/20 plains ridge - bust (though -PNA is semi-verifying).

The stratospheric polar vortex has officially formed in the upper sigmas. So begins the official slide into the NH winter circulation.

• Like 1

Western subdivisions in Sisters are now under a level 2 evac alert. Smokey here in Bend this morning with some ash falling. 

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Troughing signal just about gone.

Looking like we may skate to warmest August on record quite easily. I was thinking it might be more of a fight about a week ago. Could even end up the warmest month on record, period, if we get a major heat event in the last week.

Looking like we may skate to warmest August on record quite easily. I was thinking it might be more of a fight about a week ago. Could even end up the warmest month on record, period, if we get a major heat event in the last week.

If the 12z GFS verified it would be the first month in Portland history to not see  a

Our historic run of non-troughy Augusts would continue. This would be our 4th in a row without a sub-70 high...never saw more than two consecutive prior to that. 

Yeah, it's been crazy long since there was even any kind of appreciable troughing in the month. In the past even our warm Augusts would usually feature some kind of noteworthy pattern change at some point. 

Eugene had a 69 degree high on Sunday, causing much statistical mayhem.

The eclipse outlook is looking really good at the moment for the valley.  Cliff Mass says the computer models currently say there is only a 5% chance of clouds for the Willamette Valley.  I have my super secret back roads route to a super secret location locked in.  I even bought some emergency beef jerky.

• Like 1

Euro shows a setup at day 10 that would lead to a major heat event.

Good ensemble support too. I'm going to go out on a limb and say we see another bout of 95+ degree heat in the last five days of the month. Should lock in our warmest month on record.

What season it is or isn't has no bearing on the potential for anomalies. And I don't know if you've heard it from me yet or not, but our falls have been running VERY warm in recent years. ;)

Fall is still cooler than summer.

...FOR NOW!!!!!!!! DUNT DUNT DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

What season it is or isn't has no bearing on the potential for anomalies. And I don't know if you've heard it from me yet or not, but our falls have been running VERY warm in recent years. ;)

Ah, but it will take more than warm anomalies through the end of the month to finish record warm.  ;) Temps the second half of August average about 1.5 degrees cooler than the first half.

Add to that the fact that we had an extremely warm first half that it's unlikely we get close to in second half, and odds definitely favor a month that ends up cooler than the record.

A forum for the end of the world.

It's worth it!  When we can manage to get it that cold at night, we will still be at 68-70 inside when it is 80-85 outside.  58-60 is pushing it as far as comfort but we just sleep under blankets.  In the morning I am up and out the door within 30-40 minutes, and as for Mrs Chewbacca, our bathroom has a huge light strip over the mirror with 10-12 of those decorative globe bulbs (its as bright as the surface of the sun in there) to keep her warm.  Between those lights and the steam of the shower, it's a race for her to get her makeup on before she breaks out into a sweat.  

Wow, that's crazy you can get it that cool in your place. It hasn't been below 68F in here in months. The low in the house was 70F and high 77F and it's still around 76F in here. This is with multiple windows open, no heating, in a location on a hill and an outdoor hi/low of 76F/55F; I consider this comfortable, but it gets much warmer during heatwaves.