September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Per TV report, Irma now down to Cat 2, after land falling as a Cat 3.

Technically, there was a Cat 4 landfall in the Florida Keys, but crossing a thin island chain really isn't the same thing as a mainland landfall.

The Americans that live in the keys feel the same way. " Doesn't count guys".
  • Like 1

crossing a thin island chain really isn't the same thing as a mainland landfall.

It's not? How is that?

It was a Cat4 at landfall. Done and done.

• Like 2

It's not? How is that?

It was a Cat4 at landfall. Done and done.

A mainland landfall at Cat 4 is both harder to achieve, and it's actually a full landfall where the entire eye eclipses land.

In other words, Irma technically counts, but it was kind of a cheapie. Unlike Harvey.

A forum for the end of the world.

A mainland landfall at Cat 4 is both harder to achieve, and it's actually a full landfall where the entire eye eclipses land.

In other words, Irma technically counts, but it was kind of a cheapie. Unlike Harvey.

Still, Irma is the 7th most intense hurricane to make landfall in the US, and the 3rd most intense to make landfall on the Florida keys, by central pressure. That's impressive.

Still, Irma is the 7th most intense hurricane to make landfall in the US, and the 3rd most intense to make landfall on the Florida keys, by central pressure. That's impressive.

1935 still stands as the benchmark.  I thought global warming was supposed to create a barrage of epic hurricanes in the US.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm betting Jesse liked the ECMWF.  Downright sexy trough next week and a decent one later this week.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1935 still stands as the benchmark.  I thought global warming was supposed to create a barrage of epic hurricanes in the US.

Yes Jim.   Regardless of the cause... we all know the Earth is not warming.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm betting Jesse liked the ECMWF.  Downright sexy trough next week and a decent one later this week.

I loved the ECMWF.   Why would it only be Jesse?

Cool, sunny trough later this week... nice weekend... and then some more rain on day 8... and then turning nice again.  

What is there not to like?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A 130mph gust was just recorded on North Marco Island before the anemometer got taken out. They're not even in the worst of it yet.

Now that is impressive.  The best gust I've seen at an official station was 92 or something like that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sure...but central pressure is not how hurricanes are categorized, in terms of intensity.

In terms of wind speed I think it's still the third most intense to cross the keys.

Anyway, Florida really got lucky here. What's happening with this storm is bad, but it would have been way worse if either Miami had been in the RFQ, if Irma hadn't made landfall on Cuba, or if Irma had tracked over or just west of Tampa Bay.

In terms of wind speed I think it's still the third most intense to cross the keys.

Anyway, Florida really got lucky here. What's happening with this storm is bad, but it would have been way worse if either Miami had been in the RFQ, if Irma hadn't made landfall on Cuba, or if Irma had tracked over or just west of Tampa Bay.

Agreed. Overall, Irma was a bullet dodged for the U.S.

Their offensive line sucks again.

Terrible.   How many years does it take to make that a priority?   Everything else is worthless if you don't have a good o-line.

Yeah. I mean, Irma technically doesn't hold a candle to the big dogs like the Labor Day hurricane back in the 1930s (185mph sustained, 220mph gusts), but it's still legit.

• Like 1

Now that is impressive. The best gust I've seen at an official station was 92 or something like that.

146mph in Naples.

At least summer is transitioning to fall. Focus on the positives.

Warm Septembers = no positives.

Alright the hurricane stuff was annoying enough. Are we back to the time of year with nonstop football talk too?

Yes. Football season has started. It means its fall. :)

Seems like I'm going against the grain here too. Talk until your hearts content I guess. I'll try to find the weather posts hidden in between.

I think it comes down to if the line of excessivity is crossed. Phil was kinda blowing his load early on Irma way before she was even close to the U.S., but once landfall was clearly imminent, can't blame people for wanting to talk about it.

Football is obviously more off topic, but there were only a handful of posts in this case.

• Like 1

I think it comes down to if the line of excessivity is crossed. Phil was kinda blowing his load early on Irma way before she was even close to the U.S., but once landfall was clearly imminent, can't blame people for wanting to talk about it.

Football is obviously more off topic, but there were only a handful of posts in this case.

Seahawks keep playing like this and football talk will not be a problem on here for a long.  

Since this is a sports thread I guess. Just leaving San Jose and my panthers walloped the Niners! Weather was way too hot.

Why are you a Panthers fan??

So much of a fan that you go to the Bay Area for a game?   

Seems like I'm going against the grain here too. Talk until your hearts content I guess. I'll try to find the weather posts hidden in between.

Football, the peak of hurricane season and Jesse whining... Sounds like fall to me!

Too bad the sun angles aren't cooperating...

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

146mph in Naples.

Wow!  I hardly call that a poor performance.  Nobody will have egg on their face with this event.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Impressive band of convection moving over Orlando and Cape Canaveral:

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=MLB&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Think of how nuts it would be if this somehow happened here.

The trees aren't made for that here.  It would be utterly horrible if we had a major hurricane.  Columbus Day 1962 was equal to about a Cat 2 and it was pretty awful.  

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Except for that guy standing downwind from a chicken coop.

I think I saw that on you tube.  Pretty sad.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Gorgeous day here. Probably one of the nicest in a few weeks.

Agreed.  The stage looks set for some chilly low temps tonight.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9