PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

This study (led by a UW professor) explicitly addressed the question of whether centennial glacier retreat is categorical evidence of global climate change, given that glaciers do fluctuate naturally. They found that mountain glacier retreat provide some of the strongest evidence that climate change is occurring. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2863

• Like 8
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, lowlandsnow said:

They must consider it part of glacier peak rather than it being on the Kololo peaks

Honeycomb Glacier (Washington) - Wikipedia

It looks like that area is a high ridgeline that extends SE from the summit of Glacier Peak proper, so I can see why they’d lump them together. Mount Daniel/Mount Hinman are in a different geographical area completely, in the Alpine Lakes between US 2 and I-90.

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

10 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

I’ve been up to the Athabaska glacier in the Columbia ice fields. It’s shocking how far they have receded in recent decades.  It’s losing 15-20feet of thickness per year currently 

I saw that one in the 1990’s then about 6 years later in the early 2000’s and it was astounding how far it had retreated.

It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

It looks like that area is a high ridgeline that extends SE from the summit of Glacier Peak proper, so I can see why they’d lump them together. Mount Daniel/Mount Hinman are in a different geographical area completely, in the Alpine Lakes between US 2 and I-90.

Actually went for a nice backpacking trip in that area in September 2007. Over from the upper Cle Elum river up to Cathedral Pass, then down to Surprise Lakes which is right across the Foss River Valley Daniel/Hinman. Great winter for glacial growth followed.

• Like 1

When I was teaching the lab for Glaciers and Global Change at UW, I designed an activity where we looked at climate model output and estimated future glacier changes for the Pacific Northwest. All models showed that Cascades and Coast Mountains glaciers would shrink due to increased summer melting and increasing fraction of winter precipitation falling as rain on glaciers, but many models showed that Rocky Mountain glaciers could stabilize or even grow due to increased winter precipitation, with temperatures remaining cold enough for all snow even under a much warmer climate. This was just an activity and not a formal study, so take it with a grain of salt. Formal studies for Rocky Mountain glaciers exist as well, e.g. https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/53/2/131/254976  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Actually went for a nice backpacking trip in that area in September 2007. Over from the upper Cle Elum river up to Cathedral Pass, then down to Surprise Lakes which is right across the Foss River Valley Daniel/Hinman. Great winter for glacial growth followed.

Awesome area for backpacking. Lake Ivanhoe is one of my favorite places on earth. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Awesome area for backpacking. Lake Ivanhoe is one of my favorite places on earth. 

Tuck and Robin Lakes are gorgeous as well.

42B2E54E-8EB7-4A30-A9EC-223D4800ABB9.jpeg

I don’t take credit for this photo, but the peak across the way there is the Daniel/Hinman complex, where the glacier was.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

For those keeping score at home 850s ended up verifying at -8 (GFS), or -9 (ECMWF) over SEA.  The GFS was too warm.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Tuck and Robin Lakes are gorgeous as well.

42B2E54E-8EB7-4A30-A9EC-223D4800ABB9.jpeg

I don’t take credit for this photo, but the peak across the way there is the Daniel/Hinman complex, where the glacier was.

That is drop dead gorgeous.  I know that Hinman, Daniel, and Chikamin Peak are all pretty impressive.  Just blows my mind these are within 35 or 40 miles of my house.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Holy shitt the DP is down to 11F? What the fuckk? With it being 41F you wouldn't have really guessed. Weird day but it sure is nice to have the sun as well as much cooler temps than Jun-Sept.

• Shivering 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Cold outflow winds are keeping the temps in check today.  Both SEA and PDX have shown little movement in the last couple of hours.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Currently 35.8 after a low of 24. That’s pretty good for recent January standards. That’s actually colder than it ever got during Jan 2020 for me as I didn’t go below 25 during that. But that of course had a lot of snow for me with it and there was a lot of cloud cover during that as well.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Holy shitt the DP is down to 11F? What the fuckk? With it being 41F you wouldn't have really guessed. Weird day but it sure is nice to have the sun as well as much cooler temps than Jun-Sept.

Going to be some really nice mins tonight in some places.  Winds are supposed to quit for most areas pretty early on.  Nice to see this actually happen in January.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I’m seeing 38 at the official station down there. A degree cooler than PDX (lol). Pretty impressive. Holding at 37 here. Hopefully just a couple more hours of warming to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Cold outflow winds are keeping the temps in check today.  Both SEA and PDX have shown little movement in the last couple of hours.

38 at SEA... appears there might not be a sub-40 day with this event.     But could happen tomorrow with a colder start.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Pity there’s no moisture to work with. Even if it briefly started as rain, it would end up snowing and in the mid-20’s soon enough.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

For those keeping score at home 850s ended up verifying at -8 (GFS), or -9 (ECMWF) over SEA.  The GFS was too warm.

Also the ECMWF showed 850mb temp bottoming out at -11C over SEA just yesterday so it was too cold in the lead up.

• Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m seeing 38 at the official station down there. A degree cooler than PDX (lol). Pretty impressive. Holding at 37 here. Hopefully just a couple more hours of warming to go.

You were holding at 36 a few minutes ago and now you’re holding at 37?

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

This is a good point. The volume of pre-eruption glacial ice on St Helens won’t be approached by the new glacier.

Surprisingly the Crater Glacier may currently exceed the volume of pre-eruption glacial ice on the mountain. As of 2001 the volume was 50% that of the original glaciers and in the last two decades the glacier has continued to grow. I couldn't find a recent estimate for the glacier's volume, but I would assume it's now 75% or more of the original glaciers (assuming a slowing of the glacier's growth).

Of course, if you made a big enough crater (or hole) at a high enough elevation anywhere in the Cascades you could grow some truly giant glaciers. The trick is just keeping them shaded during the summer and able to collect snow during the winter.

• Like 7

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

1 minute ago, Skagit Weather said:

Surprisingly the Crater Glacier may currently exceed the volume of pre-eruption glacial ice on the mountain. As of 2001 the volume was 50% that of the original glaciers and in the last two decades the glacier has continued to grow. I couldn't find a recent estimate for the glacier's volume, but I would assume it's now 75% or more of the original glaciers (assuming a slowing of the glacier's growth).

Of course, if you made a big enough crater (or hole) at a high enough elevation anywhere in the Cascades you could grow some truly giant glaciers. The trick is just keeping them shaded during the summer and able to collect snow during the winter.

I was second guessing myself after making that post. It’s tough to find hard numbers though, as you said.

• Like 1

Currently 36.7 with a DP of 18. 
Temp had spiked up to 39 a bit ago but has been on the steady decline since. Should be a chilly night coming up. 

• Shivering 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!