PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

4 minutes ago, Gummy said:

NWS not on board with anything impactful Mon/Tues.

They know that Western WA folks will forgive snow overperformance as long as they have some possibilities and call for slush/little accumulations. But if they call for snow and it doesn't happen, pitchforks will be out. It's psychologically understandable, even if it doesn't feel like it is always the most accurate option.

• Like 3

Just now, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

They know that Western WA folks will forgive snow overperformance as long as they have some possibilities and call for slush/little accumulations. But if they call for snow and it doesn't happen, pitchforks will be out. It's psychologically understandable, even if it doesn't feel like it is always the most accurate option.

The thing I still don't understand is the safety aspect of it. Why wouldn't you rather get yelled at for being overly cautious if the reverse could cause real damage? We all know that snow has the potential to cripple the region, especially if it's a surprise. I just don't understand the "embarassment" aspect of it when safety is at stake. I don't think I'll ever get it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Wow this is beautiful. 

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_fh52-63.gif

Wow!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

NWS completely downplaying any significant snowfall this week. 

I don't get that at all.  A lot of model runs are showing it being a big deal.  The atmosphere is certainly cold enough at that time as well.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, WildrootParable said:

The thing I still don't understand is the safety aspect of it. Why wouldn't you rather get yelled at for being overly cautious if the reverse could cause real damage? We all know that snow has the potential to cripple the region, especially if it's a surprise. I just don't understand the "embarassment" aspect of it when safety is at stake. I don't think I'll ever get it. 

I don't think it's embarrassment. I think it is actually them not wanting to be called the-boy-who-cried-wolf. In more marginal set ups, they would rather update during an event than have people discount their warnings because "those forecasters are never right." I do think that it has some merit. Too many warnings or even advisories or special statements that bust would mean that the general public would have no faith when it was a certainty of dangerous conditions. And that could be even more dangerous. This is looking to be potentially messy but shouldn't freeze up unlike Portland this week. It should all melt off pretty quickly and on a Sunday morning there won't be as much traffic or any school transportation issues. 

• Like 2

I do wish these events wouldn’t be in the middle of the night 😂 I had to work at 5am today, even though I took a power nap it’s still gonna be rough tonight. Thankfully I’m off tomorrow.

• Like 4

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

2 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

I don't think it's embarrassment. I think it is actually them not wanting to be called the-boy-who-cried-wolf. In more marginal set ups, they would rather update during an event than have people discount their warnings because "those forecasters are never right." I do think that it has some merit. Too many warnings or even advisories or special statements that bust would mean that the general public would have no faith when it was a certainty of dangerous conditions. And that could be even more dangerous. This is looking to be potentially messy but shouldn't freeze up unlike Portland this week. It should all melt off pretty quickly and on a Sunday morning there won't be as much traffic or any school transportation issues. 

Yeah I was thinking if this system were coming through on a work/school night they might be a bit more cautious in warnings/amounts.  None of the forecasting apps seem to be picking up anything notable for Mon/Tues in the Sound though, whereas this system has predicted 1-3 inches for a few days now.

• Like 3

The GEM shows the Seattle area getting thumped with 5 or 6 inches in a short period of time Tuesday morning.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Back home now. Still 40 degrees but the DP has dropped from 23 to 20 now. Makes me wonder if I’ll see 30 degree snow instead of 32.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 minutes ago, WeatheringLoyalHeights said:

Yeah I was thinking if this system were coming through on a work/school night they might be a bit more cautious in warnings/amounts.  None of the forecasting apps seem to be picking up anything notable for Mon/Tues in the Sound though, whereas this system has predicted 1-3 inches for a few days now.

Apps?  Are you serious?

• Thanks 1
  • lol 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm wondering if the NWS is just kicking the can down the road about Tuesday morning until after we're done with the event tonight.  They still have time to wait on pulling the trigger on that one.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, BurienSnowGlobe said:

Heavvvyyy rain at Ocean Shores and it’s not the Modelos talking

Good moisture feed coming.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Bremerton airport reporting light rain interesting. Precip getting a bit closer. 

That's the only rain I've heard of tonight other than right on the coast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9