September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

Outer Banks NC

That’s all I know and all he wants us to know...lol

Ouch. No bueno.

Some weather stations from there (same site as before).

http://surfchex.com/live-weather-reports-north-carolina-coast/

• Like 1

Satellite shows the hole in the clouds that has been over King County all day...

sat_9-9.png

Been catching more clouds up this way. Solid overcast since 3:30 here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Been catching more clouds up this way. Solid overcast since 3:30 here.

Waiting for my kids at Safeway... starting to look a little more interesting again now.

20180909_165245.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pete needed to be a little quicker with that challenge flag in the first half...age is catching up with him.

Denver's last TD was BS, ball was caught with a foot out of bounds but not overturned, however, Seattle coaches as usual deviated from what worked in the first half on offense before Denver showed they could stop it, this loss is on the coaches....

• Like 1

Almost feel like taking a road trip to Gray’s Harbor county today just to see some real rain.

You might be a curse... it still has not really started raining even out there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Big county. I’m sure the northern part has seen plenty. Such as the Lake Quinault area, where I probably would have gone.

Ahhhh... thought you meant Aberdeen or Hoquiam.

Does anyone know if we set the 85+ record as well this year?

We're at 48 right now, record is 51 from 2015. Our repeat of the September 1974 heatwave late this month will easily seal the deal.

In other news regarding the unending niceness, PDX has received just 1.38" of rain in the last 146 days. Can't expect much more than that here in the Atacama though.

• Like 2

We're at 48 right now, record is 51 from 2015. Our repeat of the September 1974 heatwave late this month will easily seal the deal.

In other news regarding the unending niceness, PDX has received just 1.38" of rain in the last 146 days. Can't expect much more than that here in the Atacama though.

But PDX also received over 27 inches of rain in the 170 days before that.    And almost 170 inches of rain from 2014-2017.

I would like to see the Atacama manage that!   

Picked up 0.18" here, with nearly a half inch overall this weekend. I expect things will green up a little this week, the rhodos look much happier today.

0.36” for the weekend here. I checked to see how far the rain had penetrated the parched earth. Looks like roughly 3/4” to 1”.

Yikes..that’s legitimate desert mimicry. Every single tree here would die if that happened.

Yikes..that’s legitimate desert mimicry. Every single tree here would die if that happened.

Portland averages less rain than Phoenix in July and August.

We do some desert mimicry almost every summer. :)

For those who think the Oregonians concerned about tree die-off are being neurotic and silly:

https://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2018/09/oregon_conifers_hit_hard_by_ye.html?ath=4d617f40620a6c90ade01b8723da6819

At my property, I have a perfect-storm combination of borderline climate, southwestern exposure, and shallow soils.  All my trees look stressed to some degree, and many are dead or dying.  My landscape will likely be a desert by this time next year.  Yes, things could always be worse, but it still sucks.

Sounds like those trees were not meant to be there and it was just a matter of time...

Historically conifers grew at higher elevations than the oak-dominant zone of the Willamette Valley. When Doug-firs and other conifers increased in abundance in the oak woodlands of the valley - driven by the end of controlled fires used by indigenous peoples - the trees were then on the lower end of their water needs.

"It's an elevation-driven thing," said Shaw, who has lost 12 Doug-firs on his five acres of land. "Precipitation drops as elevation drops. If you start out in the Coast Range where rainfall is typically over 80 or 90 inches of rain annually and go east to the middle of the valley, you're historically getting only 40 to 45 inches of rain on average. So during a drought, trees that would normally be on the edge of their drought tolerance aren't anymore. Some trees, particularly Doug-firs and grand firs, are very susceptible to drought below a certain elevation."