January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Meh, maybe if the monster goes on a big enough tangent, then Fred can actually make use of the mod preview function. I'll gladly go on mod preview as well if it means I don't have to see the same BS everyday :)

Would be nice but it’s actually everyone else’s fault.

• Like 1

The 00z GFS shows a backdoor Blast for the PNW as a massive block forms just offshore in the long range. Then we see the block start to retrograde. Great run!

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2019011000/348/500h_anom.na.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2019011000/348/850th_nb.na.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2019011000/384/500h_anom.na.png

Phil, is it common for the MJO to play a bigger role in the upper air pattern following a warming strat / cooling equatorial troposphere? The MJO has been consistent this year, but it didn't quite have the effect I was hoping for during the last EHEM passage

• Like 1

Meh, maybe if the monster goes on a big enough tangent, then Fred can actually make use of the mod preview function. I'll gladly go on mod preview as well if it means I don't have to see the same BS everyday :)

Talking about the actual weather is such a tangent on a weather forum.

The heart of the matter is that you hate me so much that you intentionally launch personal attacks hoping that you get a response so that we both go over the cliff together.    You want to sacrifice yourself.   

It reeks of desperation.   I am not attacking anyone or telling anyone what they should like.   The conversation today was very cordial and friendly.   And then you come on and start your usual BS attacks.    

Its sort of entertaining to watch you swing your fists looking for a fight every day... when nobody on here is even fighting about anything.  Except for you.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Talking about the actual weather is such a tangent on a weather forum.

The heart of the matter is that you hate me so much that you intentionally launch personal attacks hoping that you get a response so that we both go over the cliff together. You want to sacrifice yourself.

It reeks of desperation. I am not attacking anyone or telling anyone what they should like. The conversation today was very cordial and friendly. And then you come on and start your usual BS attacks.

Its sort of entertaining to watch you swing your fists looking for a fight every day... when nobody on here is even fighting about anything. Except for you. :lol:

This post might hold some credence, if it weren't for the fact that other people called you out as well. Discussion can end here :)

• Like 1

You have small trees.

TBH, I still think the 150ft+ hardwoods here are more impressive than those skinny twigs I saw in Everett.

Just sayin’. These guys are only ~ 100yrs old.

GooZT14.jpg

jd8xkya.jpg

• Like 1

This post might hold some credence, if it weren't for the fact that other people called you out as well. Discussion can end here :)

Its usually the same few people.  

But no one comes close to your consistent anger level.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ha you want to know something funny. There is a palm tree a couple miles from my Business and everytime i drive by that thing i think of Tim lol.

I am flattered! 

Ironically... we have not planted any palm trees.    So we are not part of the "problem".    ;)

Global warming is actually a result of Tim’s climate manipulation device. It’s also why the strongest ridges on the planet keep setting up over his house.

Get him!

• Like 2

Global warming is actually a result of Tim’s climate manipulation device. It’s also why the strongest ridges on the planet keep setting up over his house.

Get him!

Global warming will be our friend eventually.   You will thank me.    :)

TBH, I still think the 150ft+ hardwoods here are more impressive than those skinny twigs I saw in Everett.

GooZT14.jpg

jd8xkya.jpg

That’s insane and reckless. Those power lines are going right underneath and thru some of the tree’s canopies. A power outage waiting to happen. ☹️
  • Like 4

Global warming will be our friend eventually. You will thank me. :)

How do you figure. Staving off the ice age that was going to come long after we were all dead anyway? But in the short term (which matters more to us) it will likely cause some problems.

Phil, is it common for the MJO to play a bigger role in the upper air pattern following a warming strat / cooling equatorial troposphere? The MJO has been consistent this year, but it didn't quite have the effect I was hoping for during the last EHEM passage

Yeah, or at least it’s common to see its amplitude increase and its forward propagation slow, all else being equal.

Since the integral of static stability within the deep tropics decreases during/after SSW events, it affects the MJO and the timing/longitude of its it’s return cycle/CCKW splintering.

• Like 1

How do you figure. Staving off the ice age that was going to come long after we were all dead anyway? But in the short term (which matters more to us) it will likely cause some problems.

I was just repeating something Phil told us before... and I figure we have ice age starting in about 18 months!

That’s insane and reckless. Those power lines are going right underneath and thru some of the tree’s canopies. A power outage waiting to happen. ☹️

Lol. They did make an exception for cherry blossoms. People would have thrown hissy fits if they cut those.

GooZT14.jpg

jd8xkya.jpg

Impressive...Still no contest though. You did take HWY 2 over to Leavenworth, correct? Did you notice the trees?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Impressive...Still no contest though. You did take HWY 2 over to Leavenworth, correct? Did you notice the trees?

Honestly, what I remember is trying to avoid taking the wrong turn-off. I also remember some of the roads having very bizarre names up there. I don’t recall any monster trees but that’s probably because I wasn’t looking. It was my first time driving up there so I probably kept my eyes on the road for the most part.

Plus it’s not like we have any actual old growth here anyway. The oldest stuff is ~ 250 years old and all of those trees lost their tops long ago. I don’t think it’s physically possible for trees to grow as tall here as they do out west given several centuries. This climate probably precludes that. But they can grow wide and thick for sure.

Think about your great great great great great grandchildren yo.

• Like 1

Honestly, what I remember is trying to avoid taking the wrong turn-off. I also remember some of the roads having very bizarre names up there. I don’t recall any monster trees but that’s probably because I wasn’t looking. It was my first time driving up there so I probably kept my eyes on the road for the most part.

Plus it’s not like we have any actual old growth here anyway. The oldest stuff is ~ 250 years old and all of those trees lost their tops long ago. I don’t think it’s physically possible for trees to grow as tall here as they do out west given several centuries. The climate here probably precludes that.

Next time you are out this way you should have one of your relatives driving so you can really take in the surroundings! Take HWY 20 over...that drive is amazing! But you will miss a lot of driving that route since it is pretty twisty and you have to dodge the motor homes and motorcycles on the two lane highway.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!