January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Although it's not that cold east of the mountains (mid 30s in the Columbia Basin) it's cool enough that the east wind that persists in the PDX area is keeping temps in the low 40s there.

Meanwhile, here in Battle Ground and in places south of Portland like Salem, temperatures are in the upper 40's to mid 50s now. My temperature has warmed up several degrees in the last couple of hours.

Even made it to 60 degrees in Eugene today.

1.9.19 East Wind Influence.jpg

sfc_lws.gif

Here's a bit of good news. Feel free to dismiss and fork to death as you wish.

The GEFS has gradually moved colder air westward across Canada over the past 4 runs. 18z was actually the best yet, a bit improved over the 12z. 

But the difference between last night's 0z and the 18z is pretty noticeable. 

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_41.png

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_44.png

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Hey guys, because winter is over, I’ll probably shut down the site. It’s been a fun 10 years, but cold and snow are overrated and we’re never going to get it anyways.

Phil, please just post more maps and pictures that deal with the East Coast.

Tim, please remind us about how snow is overrated and we should be hyped for a February spring.

Everyone else, post pictures of forks.

Anyone caught posting about our climate is favorable to winter events into March or how things are not set in stone, or even presents any data that the extended period of low solar or non guarantee of El Niño may give optimism to someone who enjoys active weather, will have the police called on them. We all know how irresponsible it is to post long range images or discuss them as it may put people on suicide watch.

Now who has some cherry blossom pictures they can share?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forks,_Washington

We need some jokes in here. I'll start.

1949-50 analog.

Hey man, I think I’ve been fairly optimistic. Or at least I’ve tried to be. ⛄

And I certainly have not been plastering this place with east coast stuff lately. That was one of my New Years resolutions, lol.

Whatever happened to K12?

School happened.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

School happened.

Accurate :)

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Yep!! Math was ALWAYS my strong point not grammar.

Seen’t has always been my favorite. When I worked at the school in Skamania County I would often tell the kids I seen’t a Sasquatch in my yard the other night. Lots of believers out there.

• Like 1

Only took 9 days in 2019 to hit our first 60 temp. Honestly, it might as well be this warm if there is no snow or ice. Random, useless cold is pretty blah to me. I'm headed out of town for 30 days within the next couple of weeks. Expect winter to finally start here around that time.

Here's a bit of good news. Feel free to dismiss and fork to death as you wish.

The GEFS has gradually moved colder air westward across Canada over the past 4 runs. 18z was actually the best yet, a bit improved over the 12z.

But the difference between last night's 0z and the 18z is pretty noticeable.

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_41.png

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_44.png

Yeah, that's definitely noticable. Good trends right there, just need it to continue.

Yes Andrew. I was in Madras again all morning and it didn't get above freezing. As I drive south towards Redmond on my way home the temp jumped from 31 to 48 at the high bridge "Crooked River Crossing" and continued to ride to about 55 as I hit Redmond about 6 miles later. Crazy inversion going on there today. I believe it's all gone now as the winds cleared out the muck.

Only took 9 days in 2019 to hit our first 60 temp. Honestly, it might as well be this warm if there is no snow or ice. Random, useless cold is pretty blah to me. I'm headed out of town for 30 days within the next couple of weeks. Expect winter to finally start here around that time.

Oh don't worry, I'm still here, it won't  :lol:

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

So much great discussion today! Love hearing about how a certain type of rain is more tolerable than other types of rain, or how nice the sunshine can be... especially when are all snow starved. Must have put a lot of effort into those posts.

Speaking of starved...I think he is just starved for this sort of reaction. You just fed the Tim monster.

• Like 1

So much great discussion today! Love hearing about how a certain type of rain is more tolerable than other types of rain, or how nice the sunshine can be... especially when are all snow starved. Must have put a lot of effort into those posts.

I give this post two thumbs down, four frowney faces, and one fire emoji.

• Like 1

As we progress through January and enjoy the lovely El Nino background state, I'll be looking for the models to begin hinting at a departure of the Alaskan vortex and begin a transition to a more favorable blocking regime toward the end of the month/beginning of February. The SSW should promote cooling over the equatorial troposphere, allowing the MJO to maintain/strengthen its propagation through the tropics. As long as the MJO can overwhelm the background state, and the raging jet backs off once forcing enters the EHEM, we have another shot at some winter in the West.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/twc_globe_mjo_vp200.png

• Like 2

More rain in San Diego's forecast than in Portland's forecast. Phoenix has only slightly less rain in the forecast.

Sucks for FarmBoy.

• Like 1

Speaking of starved...I think he is just starved for this sort of reaction. You just fed the Tim monster.

Meh, maybe if the monster goes on a big enough tangent, then Fred can actually make use of the mod preview function. I'll gladly go on mod preview as well if it means I don't have to see the same BS everyday :)

• Like 1