January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Next time you are out this way you should have one of your relatives driving so you can really take in the surroundings! Take HWY 20 over...that drive is amazing! But you will miss a lot of driving that route since it is pretty twisty and you have to dodge the motor homes and motorcycles on the two lane highway.

Highway 20 is better travelling East to West, BTW.

• Like 1

Honestly, what I remember is trying to avoid taking the wrong turn-off. I also remember some of the roads having very bizarre names up there. I don’t recall any monster trees but that’s probably because I wasn’t looking. It was my first time driving up there so I probably kept my eyes on the road for the most part.

Plus it’s not like we have any actual old growth here anyway. The oldest stuff is ~ 250 years old and all of those trees lost their tops long ago. I don’t think it’s physically possible for trees to grow as tall here as they do out west given several centuries. This climate probably precludes that. But they can grow wide and thick for sure.

Most of the true giants have been cut down here anyways. The “Cary Fir” was cut down over a century ago near North Vancouver BC. Measuring 417ft tall and 25ft in diameter.
  • Like 2

Next time you are out this way you should have one of your relatives driving so you can really take in the surroundings! Take HWY 20 over...that drive is amazing! But you will miss a lot of driving that route since it is pretty twisty and you have to dodge the motor homes and motorcycles on the two lane highway.

Definitely will have to do that this summer.

I wasn’t supposed to drive initially, but the family member who was going to do it herniated a disk while fishing so it was just the gf and I and 2 others in that car and she used waze (or something like that, I don’t exact remember) to get us there faster. So I assume we didn’t take the scenic route.

• Like 1

Most of the true giants have been cut down here anyways. The “Cary Fir” was cut down over a century ago near North Vancouver BC. Measuring 417ft tall and 25ft in diameter.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s possible for any tree to grow that tall east of the Cascades. It’s probably be hit by lightning or snapped off in a microburst long before it got even close to that high.

I wasn’t supposed to drive initially, but the family member who was going to do it herniated a disk while fishing so it was just the gf and I and 2 others in that car and she used waze (or something like that, I don’t exact remember) to get us there faster. So I assume we didn’t take the scenic route.

There are only 3 ways you could have gotten over the mountains in that area and all off them are scenic.     ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At hour 144 on the 00z Euro sure seems like there is a continued westward progression of the cold air. Numerous runs seem to be pushing it westward. May result in Nothing but found it interesting specially with SSW influences.

Tonight’s run

F9B1A3E6-CC33-41F7-AD33-81B267861BF2.png

Previous

D4BBF985-8C06-4186-822B-C2F6349662B7.png

Wait, 417ft? Geesh. That’s like a giant jenga tower.

Was it a tape measure job?

The “Cary Fir” is actually a hoax. Though there seems to be some validity of Douglas firs near 400ft tall with diameters approaching 14ft. I’m not sure if they actually measured them with a tape. Considering they would “split” them with powder charges to make them small enough to haul to the mill.
  • Like 1

The best route is up over the Stampede pass scenic highway.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Lala land maps are just lame to me. Don't find them very interesting, sorry. You call it pretentious, I call it realistic.

I don't judge those who enjoy them for what they are.

Hope is a good thing. And no good thing ever dies.

Getting gang raped in prison however is NOT a good thing.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The “Cary Fir” is actually a hoax. Though there seems to be some validity of Douglas firs near 400ft tall with diameters approaching 14ft. I’m not sure if they actually measured them with a tape. Considering they would “split” them with powder charges to make them small enough to haul to the mill.

Psssh, you’ve been added to my troll list. I thought you were legit.

At hour 144 on the 00z Euro sure seems like there is a continued westward progression of the cold air. Numerous runs seem to be pushing it westward. May result in Nothing but found it interesting specially with SSW influences.

Tonight’s run

F9B1A3E6-CC33-41F7-AD33-81B267861BF2.png

Previous

D4BBF985-8C06-4186-822B-C2F6349662B7.png

Me: Slowly and quietly putting the fork back into the drawer.

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The 00z Euro is still progressive af but it completely reversed over the Arctic..much more -AO now onwards from D7.

I think (hope) it will fall into line. Too tired to investigate and find out why it’s different.

The 00z Euro is still progressive af but it completely reversed over the Arctic..much more -AO now.

I think (hope) it will fall into line. Too tired to investigate and find out why it’s different.

Well, keeping it 100% real, both -AO and SSWs have a history of getting the east cold more than the West. Especially the West coast. Especially during El Nino.

But... neither hurts either, so who knows.

A forum for the end of the world.

Well, keeping it 100% real, both -AO and SSWs have a history of getting the east cold more than the West. Especially the West coast. Especially during El Nino.

But... neither hurts either, so who knows.

I think it depends on the structure of the -AO block and the strength of the Pacific jet/AAM balance. The -AO can evolve in many different ways.

We have January 1969 and 1943 as bright, shining examples of this.

-Says Andrew every 24-48 hours

I've seen better FV3 runs this winter. If it had a habit of verifying we would be around average in terms of temps this winter. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks like 850s drop below freezing for a good 24-36hrs with that blast.

The most important thing to takeaway from the run is the huge blocking that setups and the classic retrogression signal that we see at the tail end. The surface details this far out will change as we get closer. I couldn't be any more happier than what I saw from the GFS tonight, great run from where we were at before IMHO.

Damp and 46 out there. Maybe the overnight runs will provide some hope...

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This is pretty cool...

"A weather forecasting system that can provide hourly updates for any location on the planet has been announced by technology giant IBM."

In a way, we could say screw the government and help to improve the GFS ourselves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46790221

I wish more private companies would take on a bigger role when it comes to numerical weather prediction.

Glad to see you here for the night shift! I thought I'd be the only one.

I try to stay up for it. The good model runs have to start somewhere. I would love for it to be overnight at some point.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Overnight GFS is further west with the cold action in the long range but it still slides east. A chilly airmass but wouldn’t get the job done.

But it’s still light years better than yesterday’s runs.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

06z GFS-FV3 gets a wee bit chilly. 486 thickness line reaches Montana and the WA lowlands get a full on snowstorm. 

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_56.png

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Watching Trump rant to reporters on the front lawn right... looks springy in DC. Light jackets and green grass and sunshine. :)

Phil... what are those trees in the background that keep their leaves in the winter?

20190110-071040.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**