Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

Hawkeye, do you have that link??

This will be a good storm to see how this model performs.

https://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=GFS&area=NAMER&ps=area

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

FWIW the ARW, NMMB and NSSL are all colder, slower and drier than their 12z runs. Some still bring a slug of significant snow across much of E IA(probably dropping 3-6") but given the dry air present at the onset, they wont be having any widespread heavy totals I wouldn't think I lied, all 3 have a swath of 6-8". Where the mixing line sets up varies, but the ARW is warmer than the NMMB and NSSL. What is notable is that they still have snow in the area early tomorrow morning. (11-13z)

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

00z GFS-FV3 also much slower, but not farther south... surface low still lifts up into southeast Iowa.

gfs_namer_048_precip_ptot.gif

gfs_namer_048_snodpth_chng.gif

Holy cow that one buries me; even half that would be 6+. I think the trend on tonight is a slower and more pronounced band moving through. Gonna all come down to luck with that band. Fwi dean wysocki has mentioned the change in models via social media.

Local mets here in Omaha are all adjusting their snow forecasts with the heaviest band further south as the new model data is showing - with 3 to 6 inches of snow lined up along Interstate 80 in Nebraska from Lincoln to Omaha, with higher amounts possible. This is getting fun!

What they showing back towards Columbus?

Local mets in Des Moines verbally mentioned possibilities of more snow. Said tune in on the morning shows. One in the weather field professionally should always be checking latest conditions/models/reports. That's Weather 101. Too lazy and dependent on NWS. I award them no points and respect them less

• Like 2

Local mets in Des Moines verbally mentioned possibilities of more snow. Said tune in on the morning shows. One in the weather field professionally should always be checking latest conditions/models/reports. That's Weather 101. Too lazy and dependent on NWS. I award them no points and respect them less

The non-chief mets here love to just simply regurgitate what the NWS says. I honestly question their credentials sometimes. They just say what the NWS is saying verbatim and nothing more. I saw that on one of our channels here tonight. The forecast map was literally WPC's with a couple minor tweaks. 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Wow, the fv3 gfs is absolutely insane for eastern Nebraska. No way anyone gets 18 inches lol. I could see 4-7 inches isolated 8 inches in the heaviest band.

• Like 2

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

00z Canadian is farther south, but it has been the farthest north.  This run still takes the low through southeast Iowa and brings rain up to near Cedar Rapids.

00z UK pretty far south, tracks the low from central MO to Quincy to Chicago.  It actually has the heaviest precip southeast of Cedar Rapids.  I never thought I'd have to hope for no further shift south.

us_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019012200_48_5660_220.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"