Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

KFXA in Cedar Rapids now says 4-7 inches for Cedar Rapids.

That's kinda trigger happy IMO. I'd say 3-5 accounting for either dry air, or mixing at any point. It's possible CR sees that much, but that probability isn't high enough to put that in a forecast.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I'm in Iowa City and thinking 1-3" for myself. That is still MUCH better than rain so I'd be content with that. However statistically, I'll still "measure" in Hiawatha and record that. 

Seeing the same structural changes in the GFS.  The 500 mb energy, which had been expected to focus in Nebraska and head east, is instead being shifted back sw by about a state.  It's kinda being detached from the northern stream.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh18_trend.gif

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I knew this would come south. Just didn't expect it to be so late in the game. I pretty much gave up on myself yesterday after the models trended even farther north for last night's 00z. I'm very surprised to say the least. Just had a feeling that models were too far north/warm when they were having WAA overpower a vast expanse of deep snow so quickly, that looks to be the case. Then again that might not be as the changes were at 500mb as well. 

• Like 1

Wow, wind's howling outside. 20-30mph. Out of the SSE.

Not typical for us, indicates rain.

54* and currently a 20% chance of rain rising to 40% in the early hrs.

This month is acting more like March in Texas, not January.

What gives Weather Swamis ??

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I knew this would come south. Just didn't expect it to be so late in the game. I pretty much gave up on myself yesterday after the models trended even farther north for last night's 00z. I'm very surprised to say the least. Just had a feeling that models were too far north/warm when they were having WAA overpower a vast expanse of deep snow so quickly, that looks to be the case. Then again that might not be as the changes were at 500mb as well. 

Its weather.  Complicated right?

The other note would be the storm deepens as it ejects on the GFS.  A large change from a not many runs ago.  The new gfs was the first to show that possibility

Yeah, as the energy is detaching some from the northern stream, it's slowing and strengthening a bit more compared to earlier runs quickly whisking the energy up and away.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Its weather.  Complicated right?

Yea no doubt.I'm trying to find out why exactly the models trended south. One would think surface snowcover wouldn't affect whats happening at 500mb, especially when the vort itself is embedded in such a large scale feature like that trough in the west. Unless the vort itself was just handled that poorly, but even that seems implausible. Interesting case if these trends verify.

• Like 2

OAX update.

FXUS63 KOAX 220331

AFDOAX

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE

931 PM CST Mon Jan 21 2019

.UPDATE...

Issued at 925 PM CST Mon Jan 21 2019

Freezing drizzle has set up across northeast NE and northwest IA,

north of a line from Columbus, NE to Onawa, IA. The Norfolk, NE

ASOS has already measured 0.12 of flat ice, which would correspond

to 0.05 of radial ice. Models seem to be locked in on this area

through the remainder of the evening, and not seeing much trend to

shift south until after midnight.

Another concerning trend would be the changeover to snow on

Tuesday. 18z GFS and 00z Nam models have shifted the axis of

heavier snow a little farther south for tomorrow afternoon, but

not seeing that trend in the most recent RAP and HRRR models and

the Hires ARW, but not the HiRes NMM models. So that is something

that we`ll be looking at closely when the 00z GFS and ECMWF

models come in to see if an adjustment is needed farther south in

higher snowfall totals.

• Like 3

I’ll take the gfs for the win please!

Yeah same here, 6+ from this system would be a huge surprise. I am still thinking 2 to 4 inches across the Omaha metro area is a safe bet, on top of a sheet of ice... both the morning and evening commutes around here are going to be miserable LOL. 

• Like 1

00z GFS-FV3 also much slower, but not much farther south... surface low still lifts up into southeast Iowa.

gfs_namer_048_precip_ptot.gif

gfs_namer_048_snodpth_chng.gif

• Like 2