February 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Sort of off-topic, but I plan to go to a spotter training class this year. Was going to go years back, but I was running a little tight on time and wasn’t sure if I was at the right place, so I chickened out.

Anyway, how many people on here have attended one or more of these classes? I actually took what is supposed to be a similar class on MetEd, but they don’t allow that to be used officially. Doesn’t seem too bad. Will be good learning for me too, as my severe weather knowledge is much less than my winter weather knowledge.

It's not bad. They last a few hours and cover all the bases of measurements as well as to know what you're looking at. I'd recommend it. I need to go again primarily because I lost DVN's phone number. So yay me!

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Received ice earlier this evening. Now just cloudy w spotty drizzle. Temp at 33F. Roads were a mess.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Here at KJXN as well, but at least we didn't fully torch as it was looking a few days ago. Still looks like winter for at least another day or so when the 30's & 40's followed by the rainer will end our little streak

Its too bad because I would hate to lose this beautiful snowpack I currently have. I have a feeling that by Sunday, right b4 the colder air arrives behind that system, there will be very little snow left otg, if any. Seems like we are unable to keep a snowcover for more than a few days this Winter..

You heard it here first, but now some well known mets across the country are starting to show examples of historically cold opens to the month of March.  Folks, I firmly believe that what is on the table to close out Feb and open up March will be a Historic stretch of wintry weather.  I'm in absolute awe and truly fascinated from what I'm seeing as I continue to digest the data.  I'll likely start a March thread over the weekend as I'm way to busy with work stuff that's why you see me posting a lot more very early in the mornings rather than during the afternoon of late.

• Like 7

Well, this snowpack was awesome (and this winter has been awesome), but today is where it all starts to go away for a bit. Hopefully not the rest of the winter, though. Took some pictures this morning so I can reference how great it was there. But with high 20s today and mid 30s tomorrow (both sunny), it’s going to take a huge hit. And then the rain starts this weekend...

• Like 3

Currently at 34F w sunny skies and a few clouds from time to time. Temps today remaining in the 30s. Snowpack will taking a small beating unfortunately.

Temps still skyrocketing. Zero clouds to keep this from happening still. We're supposed to see an increase in clouds this afternoon but until then temps are just gonna keep rising. 48 minutes since my last post and it's already risen 6.5 degrees to 25.7*F.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It seems many long time record keeping stations are recording (or soon will) all time snowfall records for FEB. Some I know - MSP-STC.ROC.DSM.OMA.ALO- probably more to come. Some go back further into time which makes it more impressive, MSP and DSM/OMA records go way back into the 1800's/ 

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Regardless of the storm/snow/rain- the cold air behind this system is EPIC. Many stations will see reocord low/maxes for several days on the 26th-27th etc..

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The bright late February sun, combined with deep, fresh snow, is blinding.  I have to squint just walking around the house.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

There are some seriously large ice dams forming around town here...Easily 6-8”+. Some of them have icicles hanging from them that reach the ground. I anticipate there will be quite a bit of damage caused by them in the coming weeks. Here’s a pic from my neighbors. This isn’t even close to the biggest one I saw either.

FFFEC263-B918-4DE5-B250-1B221430DD83.jpeg

• Like 3

I really think the Hastings NWS is gunna bust bad on this thing. It's comical how much they're downplaying snowfall amounts while still hoisting winter storm watches. If they're putting any stock in the NAM that's pretty embarrassing.

I agree Clint. These storms are usually good for our area. They basically won’t even look at the GFS. NAM May end up being correct, but totally throwing it out seems odd imo.

You were really optimistic heading into winter. You will get your fun at some point. It all evens out eventually. We had kind of a fast start, and then it was boring, and now its Poundtown.

I will say, that I am glad that my optimism didn't fully prove fruitless. I truly am glad that many of you have gotten to enjoy real winter fury this year. I have also highly enjoyed reading through this one as a spectator in a lot of ways. A very jealous spectator, at times, but one nonetheless. Winter on friends. I have a taste of more storms coming up, it appears.

You heard it here first, but now some well known mets across the country are starting to show examples of historically cold opens to the month of March. Folks, I firmly believe that what is on the table to close out Feb and open up March will be a Historic stretch of wintry weather. I'm in absolute awe and truly fascinated from what I'm seeing as I continue to digest the data. I'll likely start a March thread over the weekend as I'm way to busy with work stuff that's why you see me posting a lot more very early in the mornings rather than during the afternoon of late.

I'm glad you have gotten to enjoy some once in a lifetime winter this season. Well-deserved for all of the hard work, enthusiasm and thought you carry for our group on here.

Well done.

• Like 1

Try Texas,

We get screwed coming and going. Rainy winters and hell fire summers. I have to laugh at all the folks from New York and California that move here for the economy and leave because of the weather! I mean, duh. It's Texas people!!

We don't have lovely cool evenings in the summer. You could bake a plate of brownies on a summer evening here. Lol

There's no skiing, unless it's water skiing. No ice skating, no snow boarding. But if you want to broil while watching some NASCAR or a rodeo, y'all come! It's Texas.

I hear ya. I do sympathize with you. The weather is the literal ONLY reason on earth I wouldn't want to move to TX. Our states have the most even-keeled weather statistics battle of any two there is. It's pretty neat to go through both states' record books side by side. Your's owns the hurricanes and mine has everything but hurricanes. (Although, saw a few 45 mph sustained tropical storms pass over this elevated area) :lol:

After 2011, I'll never move anywhere that has the potential to be warmer than that. Not ever. Hottest summer anywhere in US history is pretty prolific. Sadly, that's a warming stat I won't ever forget.

Currently at 20F w sunny skies. Snowpack still around.

Just went for a little walk to the grocery store, and I must say I'm rather impressed with how well the snowpack held up after yesterday. It's still mostly powder with a very thin layer of crust on top. Beginning the day clear which was not expected. This can end up being a good or bad thing, and that depends on when the clouds move in. 21.6*F.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I was in the far southwest side of Grand Rapids yesterday and I was surprised on the difference in the snow depth there compared to here NW  Grand Rapids. Here there is still a solid 7” on the ground and down there it looked more like 2” with a many area of bare ground.  Clear and 26.4 here at my house.

As for this weekend it looks more like a wind and rain event and would look for the Winter Storm Watch to be replaced/changed to some sort of wind warning instead. In fact not sure why the NWS here in Grand Rapids issued a Winter Storm Watch in the first place. But that said if indeed we do get winds with 60 MPH gust well there will be power outages once again.

Well this is just vomitrocious. Unexpected sunlight has made the temperature shoot up, and melting is commencing once again. I was hoping we'd get our clouds in before we hit the above freezing mark so that melting wouldn't happen AS much under the clouds but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. 32.7 freakin *F.

Still complete unfiltered sun. This is god awful. We were barely supposed to hit the 32 mark. Makes me REALLY ******* worried about thermals when precip gets here. As much as I hate ice, I'd rather see that than >32 rain but I think it'll be too warm for that now. 36.0*F.

Temps have shot up to the upper 30's (38F) with full sun and light winds.  Birds are chirping and there is a slight smell of Spring in the air...but boy, are things going to be drastically different by late in the weekend.

I heard some birds chirping right after our last snowfall Wednesday. They weren't Robins or anything, but thought it was a bit unusual to hear them...

• Like 1

Its a gorgeous day today w plentiful sunshine and temps that actually feel much warmer, but they are only holding in the upper 30s (37F). Deep blue skies. Feels like Spring is knocking on our doorstep.

I’m not ready for March!!

It means Spring down here. St. Paddy’s Day is usually our starters gun for Spring. :/

We’re very very wet and chilly at 48*

Expecting 70* tomorrow with sun.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*