2/23 - 2/24 Central Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Rdps

Looking at the northern part of the heaviest snow band as it dissects south central Nebraska; that sob stays south of the Platte River going off towards Iowa. Today’s snow in Holdrege stayed north of the river. I’m telling you guys the Platte River can effect weather just as a lake can. When storms hit here the heaviest always occurs either to the north or south; that is from old generation farmers and I might start buying into it.

I’m making a prediction, and I am hopeful....That blizzard warning has to get extended from Imperial Nebraska up through Sioux Falls. That dry air will either win out, storms rob us from the southeast, or every major model will agree that heavy band will be wider than we think.

It should be a fun six hours for southeast NE through southeast MN.

As expected 3-5 days ago, the low will move right over southeast Iowa.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Some wacky weather for MBY is definitely in the cards. Severe weather followed by snowshowers and very windy conditions w temps falling into the teens late Sunday afternoon and into the evening hours. Slippery travel likely in hvy squalls.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I loved hearing dean wysocki mentioning a small shift north and west in the models. His snow totals shows I-80 corridor getting drilled and the rest of south central Nebraska in moderate snow. I think tomorrow is gonna be an awesome day for a lot of us.

Is that on his Twitter page or somewhere else? All I see in the models is a south trend so it is good to hear a meteorologist mention north and west.

We ain't getting over a foot from this thing. Models are failing to account for the fact that our moisture will be slightly limited by the severe wx event in Dixie alley. Not doubting that we could see isolated areas over 10", but I'd say a widespread maximum of 8-9" is more likely.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

We ain't getting over a foot from this thing. Models are failing to account for the fact that our moisture will be slightly limited by the severe wx event in Dixie alley. Not doubting that we could see isolated areas over 10", but I'd say a widespread maximum of 8-9" is more likely.

Agree. I think we see a wider deformation zone with 6-8" within that area. I think areas along the I-80 corridor stand on seeing totals approaching that. Another thing to take into account is do we see convection wrapping into the cold sector tomorrow? If so then areas closest to the main area of low pressure will see a period of enhanced snow rates. 

• Like 1

I was thinking someone posted about not being able to see the Ukie’s temps, but on this site it lets you pick 2m temperature. Also has winds and precipitation as well.... Right now it only has the 0Z precip maps out but still has 12Z temps and winds.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/map-explorer.php?mod=ukmet&run=00&stn=PNMPR&hh=024&map=na&stn2=PNM&run2=00&mod2=ukmet&hh2=024&comp=1&fixhh=1&lang=en&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&mode=latest&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo

I think it’ll have to do more with the pace of the storm than limited moisture.

I think it’ll have to do more with the pace of the storm than limited moisture.

I'm not concerned about the moisture, I just think it's a given here. Most local mets as well as OAX have accounted for that in their forecast. I'm not concerned about the pace either. If anything it's slowed down compared to what we had a couple days ago.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.