April 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

The end of marijuana prohibition and the federal government's right to oppress the poor and most oppressed in Oklahoma last year was one of the greatest restorations of individual liberty in US history. 81 years of oppressing the meek and poor ended because people figured out how to stand for themselves again and quit taking "no" and "you can't" for an answer. My state had become a state of captives. A state of depression and mental brokenness.

The scars that oppression and control left behind will fade. The prison state and the power of control and judgement of folks will continue to be broken every day. Minds will be restored. Hope will be restored. Truth is being restored. People are seeing things they couldn't for the very first time.

I don't necessarily glorify a plant, but I glorify the restorative power of individual liberty without false judgement, condemnation, and control any day and every day.

Highest power the law ever had was death and accusation.

That was proven on Good Friday. I celebrated that sacrifice to break the power of death and law yesterday.

On Sunday, I celebrate the One who broke the law of control and death to restore love, hope, faith and the law of liberty.

He paid for our freedom. I'll be forever grateful and humbled for what that means.

I love this group of men and women. You're all unique and very awesome people who haven't ever stopped caring about one another from all over these plains and lakes. Even though I've been pretty silent for awhile, I think of you folks often and am blessed to know this group.

Happy 4/20.

PS: In the words of Cross Canadian Ragweed many years ago in Stillwater, OK..."Smoke it if you got it". ;)

Well said brotha...well said....Keep shinin' down there in OK!

• Like 1

It's mid 80s in the Lincoln/Omaha area.  That suggests we may over-perform Sunday and pass 80º.

We've reached the low 70s after starting in the 30s.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Where’s this cycling wet pattern? Under an inch of moisture in last 4 weeks and some parts of KC even lower then that. The LRC called for a wet/cool/ wild month of April for KC. Big bust!!!! Another dry week ahead...after 22 inches of moisture since Oct, we are now watering heavily in KC.

• Like 3

To be fair, this is about as late as Easter gets.  Some years it's in March.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Where’s this cycling wet pattern? Under an inch of moisture in last 4 weeks and some parts of KC even lower then that. The LRC called for a wet/cool/ wild month of April for KC. Big bust!!!! Another dry week ahead...after 22 inches of moisture since Oct, we are now watering heavily in KC.

I thought I remembered a heavy rain event in KC somewhat recently.  I just checked the 30-day rain map and it shows 3-4" of rain has fallen through the entire KC area.  Farther west in Kansas it has been dry and also the I-80 corridor in Iowa has been dry.  I wouldn't mind a nice soaker.

30-day-rainfall.png

• Like 5

Happy Easter from warm and sunny Arizona! I decided to book a flight and head west for a bit and visiting family and also do some traveling. Took an early flight (5:00am) and I was able to snap some nice pics of snow capped peaks while the sun was rising this morning. The west coast ridge will be pumping some early season heat here next week and it’s perfect timing to hit the beaches of So Cal. I’ll try to post some pics later. Enjoy the day!

• Like 2

Hawkeye,

Most of that was south of the city and it came fast. All rolled off. I’m in north KC and we have been running irrigation for a couple of weeks now. 86 and very windy now....

Most recent GFS has very little rain in the next few weeks. Lezak called for a wet spring and cooler then average spring, the total opposite is happening. It’s early, we still have time to get wet, we’ll see.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

Severe Thunderstorm Warning

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley Nebraska

1104 PM CDT Sun Apr 21 2019

The National Weather Service in Omaha has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

Central Lancaster County in southeastern Nebraska...

Southeastern Seward County in southeastern Nebraska...

* Until 1145 PM CDT.

* At 1104 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over southwestern

Lincoln, moving northeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage

to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...

Lincoln, Waverly, Hickman, Roca, Denton, Raymond, Davey, Pawnee

State Recreation Area, Wagon Train State Recreation Area and

Conestoga State Recreation Area.

This includes Interstate 80 in Nebraska between mile markers 390 and

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a

building.

Already the 2nd warning of the season for my balcony. I had 2 for my balcony all last season.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Beautiful sunny day out there w a few clouds n temps are hovering in the low 50s. T'stm activity moving in tanite w cooler temps tomorrow.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

It's nice to wake up to mid 60s.  A thin line of thundershowers just went through, but it was just a couple cracks and enough rain to wet the pavement.

• Like 1

Good morning from the valley of the Sun!  It' feels great to finally be able to take a trip out west.  There is something about the energy here that feels just right.  Anyway, I promised to post some pics of my fly over across the southern Rockies.  I believe I was over S CO at the time I took these pics which is the typical flight path into PHX from ORD.  As you can see, there were snow capped peaks and pretty healthy looking which will help feed the reservoirs with water.

While on the topic of snow, yup...I said it, models are pointing towards more blocking and thus trending colder for next weekend into the last few days of April across the norther tier of our Sub.  This fits the idea of parking a trough across the region utilizing the 10mb maps I always do which provide a better clue in the longer range.  Not the way you want things to trend, esp after some delightful weather up north.

00z Euro...some more late season Snow potential for Wisco next Sat???  Ugly pattern shaping up in the 6-10 day for the northern half of the Sub.

• Like 5

Remember this map once we get past the 6th/7th of May.  My long standing idea of a nice ridge to pop across the GL's/SE Canada may be showing signs in the longer range modeling.  Sudden Summer lurking??? When I use the LRC as guidance, we will be entering a period when there was a blossoming HP across Hudson Bay/SE Canada in previous LRC cycles that caused cold air to lurk close by...the same pattern will likely cycle but produce different results in the Spring.  This is when it takes my judgment as to predict what I anticipate will happen. 

With that being said, this is when I firmly believe Summer-like conditions show up and could last a little while.  However, I don't expect it to stick around for a long time as the LRC pattern has been very transient, but at times, I do expect to see some warm periods next month, esp across the eastern CONUS/GL's/MW regions.

Nice little, quick patch of rain moving through this morning. Heard a rumble of thunder, but not too much. Little downpour, but should be done in a matter of minutes. 

Hoping to get some storms this evening. Small chance of severe, but I don't even need that. Just some nice rain and lightning for a little while will suffice. 

I may or may not get a storm this afternoon.  There will be storms, but they're expected to fire near or just east of Cedar Rapids.  The chance of storms improves as you go north and east of CR.

The official temperature at GRR is now at 74. Here at my house I now have 76.  This will be the warmest April 22 since 2007 when the high reached 82. And the record for the date of 86 set in 1986 is safe.  I have been outside and it sure feels nice out there.

Tom, I love the pics! Great shots. However, that Euro map is no bueno. I’m planting my tomato plants this week that I started growing in mid-March. Even 2” of snow is 2” too many. I can’t.....

Enjoy the West. I too get a great feeling out there when I visit my mom in PHX and brother in San Diego.

• Like 1

Tom, I love the pics! Great shots. However, that Euro map is no bueno. I’m planting my tomato plants this week that I started growing in mid-March. Even 2” of snow is 2” too many. I can’t.....

Enjoy the West. I too get a great feeling out there when I visit my mom in PHX and brother in San Diego.

Thanks my friend! It’s been about 2 years since I’ve came out this way. Long over due and I also plan on heading to San Diego...maybe later this week. Right now I’m enjoying a late breakfast on the balcony with a view. Gosh, I love coming here!

As for the snow, hope it doesn’t pan out. You may have to put a bucket over them just in case nature decides to do so. Summer will arrive soon enough. I’m already in Summer mode over here. Sorta don’t want to come back until its full blown Summer back in Chi when everything is lush and green.

• Like 1

It’s going to be a close call here for afternoon storms. HRRR has storms developing just to the west of CR and then they get better organized as they move east.

Another thing that might help with storm development is that temperatures are over performing here once again. The forecast high was 74 but it’s already 78 degrees.

• Like 1

It’s going to be a close call here for afternoon storms. HRRR has storms developing just to the west of CR and then they get better organized as they move east.

Another thing that might help with storm development is that temperatures are over performing here once again. The forecast high was 74 but it’s already 78 degrees.

I would say the current radar trends are a positive development for the CR area. Storms seem to be firing up west of there already. Will maybe help them get better organized before heading into the area.

There is a pretty bright hail core on radar about to graze the south side of CR.

• Like 1

No hail here, just a heavy downpour that dropped a quick 0.25".  There must be some pretty good hail just south of town, but no spotters have reported.

• Like 1

Only sprinkles here this morning with some thunder. Same thing this afternoon/eve. Cells here this morning were mostly virga or dry storms like the western states have. But dews were around 60° at the surface this afternoon, but the elevated cells still kind of moisture starved. I was in a svr storm warning, but it passed to the north. Had dark cloud bases right overhead from growing clouds & figured it will produce rainfall just to my east & that's what happened. On to the next storm next weekend.