August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Tim needs to read this. :lol:

Pretty much what everyone (well at least all the rational people here) have been saying this summer.

I did read this earlier this afternoon... and agreed.  

And wrote a post afterwards stating just that.

This summer been pretty normal overall.

The mid-June to mid-July period was much cloudier than normal out here... with many days in that period not clearing at all and sometimes actually getting darker in the afternoon. But even just 4 or 5 more days with partial afternoon sun in that month-long timeframe would have made it a much more typical cloudy period.

The amount of sun and rain and cloudy periods since the middle of July has been much more typical of summer as well. And the first half of June was quite sunny and dry. So it averages out to around normal.

The nights have been generally warmer than normal... and the high temp departures have been a little below normal. Again... fairly close to averaging out.

Here is the overall temperature departure for the last 60 days:

anomimage-1.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Oh, I guess that’s one of the pitfalls of having you on ignore. Although it’s worth it for missing a bunch of whining and trolling in between the meaningful posts.

Sure.    Also easier to assume the worst in the people if you are not communicating.

Anyways... I often seen you respond within seconds of my posts and be the first to quote me.    Happens all the time.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure. Also easier to assume the worst in the people if you are not communicating.

Anyways... I often seen you respond within seconds of my posts and be the first to quote me. Happens all the time. ;)

If we are in some sort of debate or conversation (like now), of course I will!

Tim needs to read this. :lol:

Pretty much what everyone (well at least all the rational people here) have been saying this summer.

Here’s the killshot:

nh7hInO.jpg

• Like 1

Although before we get TOO excited, just because a met with name recognition posted it it doesn’t necessarily make it the gospel. There have been plenty of posts from Cliff Mass that I have taken up issue with since I think he is presenting a skewed look at the data based on his own personal biases.

77/57 for Springfield today.  Currently 64F and clear. Should be a good star watching night.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Here’s the killshot:

nh7hInO.jpg

Not really... it averages out. I said that. The persistence from mid-June to mid-July sucked. It was the cloudiest summer period I can ever remember here. But it averages out over a longer period of time. And it still sucked at the time.

Statistically a fairly normal summer.

Not really... it averages out. I said that. The persistence from mid-June to mid-July sucked. It was the cloudiest summer period I can ever remember here. But it averages out over a longer period of time. And it still sucked at the time.

Statistically a fairly normal summer.

And you made sure we all knew it sucked for you over and over and over and over and over and over........ and over!
  • Like 2

And you made sure we all knew it sucked for you over and over and over and over and over and over........ and over!

I did point it out... but 90% of the discussion about it was debating the statistical significance and not just endless complaining.   Go back and look.   Its all there for you to read.    I also praised the sunny days in that month-long period way more than normal.    

Here is an example during that period...

Today was literally perfect. A few morning clouds... a few decorative cumulus this afternoon... some high clouds at sunset. High temperature in the upper 70s. Dewpoint around 50. Perfect for yard work this morning... perfect for the boat and water activities this afternoon... perfect for a late dinner outside on the patio.

If you want to encapsulate my definition of summer bliss... it was today. Mark it down.  :wub:

Going through an old external hard drive of pics tonight and saw we did not have a white Christmas in 2005, but I did go jetsking!

55E99D0D-71C2-45C8-B521-036D117C2310.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Also for all of you golf course fans out there...This will probably make you vomit! 7 green and fairway at Kayak Point!

Anyway back to the weather...Nice evening!

550E30F1-F50F-430E-B366-86C7A5307273.jpeg

015E03C8-02BC-4AF0-ADFB-ACDB3D625C4F.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

There are hundreds of dying cedar trees around here. Want me to post pics?

. I have definitely noticed them dying around here as well. It seems to be a certain type of cedar though for some reason that may have been heat stressed over the years and now affected by some sort of rot.

. I have definitely noticed them dying around here as well. It seems to be a certain type of cedar though for some reason that may have been heat stressed over the years and now affected by some sort of rot.

They are mostly western red cedar. The native species.

I did point it out... but 90% of the discussion about it was debating the statistical significance and not just endless complaining. Go back and look. Its all there for you to read. I also praised the sunny days in that month-long period way more than normal.

Here is an example during that period...

Your complaining is 100% more memorable (not in a good way) than any other part of that timeframe, can't deny that.

And, you use an example at the tail end of the supposed dark period.

Nice night. 57F pretty stars.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope