November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Gfs gets wet in the clown range, but not very wet at all for November through day 10. Could make a run at being the driest November’s I’ve recorded in the last 15 years. 3.21” in 2007 is the driest at the moment we need 2.44” to avoid that.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Rain is basically over by Monday evening... then dry for the rest of the run.

That crazy consistent EPS was sure wrong about a blocky and generally dry November.   ;)

Split flow mania even in the long range on the 00Z ECMWF:

ecmwf_z500a_namer_10.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’ve got my extrapolation easel all set up, standing by for hour 240!

5 days ago and 4 days ago and 3 days ago and 2 days ago... the ECMWF was going some place special at day 10.

Today is no exception... we have a repeat of Monday's trough coming in again.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Really getting the feeling we are going to pay big time for all this boring weather we’re having now at some point. Went through a period of active weather 9/7-10/31, boring period the last 2 weeks...will probably last a couple more weeks then BOOM.

• Like 4

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Seems like we went through this last year rinse and repeat c**p. I think that's when we start bailing take a break for awhile enjoy some family time and your Seahawks my oh my! bye week I believe. Finish up chores around the house your Thanksgiving holiday's are right around the corner. Love this time of year it even feels like the official kick off to Christmas season up here as well. The models will still be there when you look again maybe they will look better then.

• Like 2

Seems like we went through this last year rinse and repeat c**p. I think that's when we start bailing take a break for awhile enjoy some family time and your Seahawks my oh my! bye week I believe. Finish up chores around the house your Thanksgiving holiday's are right around the corner. Love this time of year it even feels like the official kick off to Christmas season up here as well. The models will still be there when you look again maybe they will look better then.

Will you be with your pals Pokey, Prickle and Goo?

Gfs isn’t very wet over the next 5 days, even less so south of the WA/OR border. Vancouver island is the bullseye of the precip with 2-3” there but only 0.5”-1.0” predicted over the next few days in western WA, 0.10”-0.50” in western OR.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

47F and cloudy.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Really getting the feeling we are going to pay big time for all this boring weather we’re having now at some point. Went through a period of active weather 9/7-10/31, boring period the last 2 weeks...will probably last a couple more weeks then BOOM.

Exactly , it will happen too! 

I have no doubt 

Would be nice but I’m just not feeling it anymore. I thought that cold October was going to lead us into a stretch where we saw more regular periods of cold but instead we have had 02-03 redux to this point. That was a year where the 534 thickness line never even made it to the Willamette Valley.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

34 and fog, was upper 20's just before sunrise.

Nice to see the fog making more of a comeback. I live in a pretty foggy place on average in the Fall and Winter seasons, and I've had countless clear mornings here in 2019.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Would be nice but I’m just not feeling it anymore. I thought that cold October was going to lead us into a stretch where we saw more regular periods of cold but instead we have had 02-03 redux to this point. That was a year where the 534 thickness line never even made it to the Willamette Valley.

October 2002 wasn’t even cold like this October, it just had some cold at the end.

• Like 3

We will see, you honestly never know. Most people considered last winter a lost cause. It’s never over until it’s over.

Things can change so quickly, we were very active in terms of weather in September and October, pattern couldn’t stay like that forever so it flipped. This pattern won’t stick with us the entirety of the winter, although I do think split flow will be with us for most of the winter. I wouldn’t be surprised if this pattern we were in stayed with us for a few more weeks before a shift into something else.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

October 2002 wasn’t even cold like this October, it just had some cold at the end.

Oct 2019 might have even had a lower mean temperature than 2002 in some locations, including here. It was a more consistent cold last month.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Destructive storms even in the Banana belt!!!

lol, those were awesome ice storms back then :wub:

should read Hanwood Lane Oak Grove area

Wow, that's the type of picture I'd expect near the Gorge not in the Milwaukie dome! I read good things about the January 7-10, 1980 snow/ice storms. Must of been one heck of a messy transition event getting out of all the cold air.

Oct 2019 might have even had a lower mean temperature than 2002 in some locations, including here. It was a more consistent cold last month.

Might have? 2019 was colder than 2002 across the board. There’s really no contest.

PDX’s mean temperature was three degrees colder in 2019 than 2002.

• Like 2

Wow, that's the type of picture I'd expect near the Gorge not in the Milwaukie dome! I read good things about the January 7-10, 1980 snow/ice storms. Must of been one heck of a messy transition event getting out of all the cold air.

Not sure how PGE felt about those storms!

Dad loved them though.  He would stoke the wood stove getting are house to 100* and open doors to let cool air in. He was a proud man reliving those days on the farm in North Dakota!  

Us kids would play that hand held football game endlessly as we weren’t allowed outside due to falling tree branches and getting hit by ice bombs!  

3D2EEBA0-175D-435E-A70E-1861E5B9C857.jpeg

• Like 1