Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

12z 03km NAM keeps the heaviest totals over northern areas. Lesser totals (obviously still respectable) and further north than 06z.

Boooooo.

I like that color shade over my house!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looks like that area of low pressure is crossing the Olympic mountains now and getting ready to bring in a band of snow the the central sound.

You can clearly see the curl on the radar up around Port Angeles representing the NW quadrant of that low pressure area.

ATX-0-3.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Do you get powerful east winds at your place like what is shown for late tomorrow?

Usually not up here. Much more on the valley floor. I remember in December 2008 we were supposed to be slammed with wind and it ended up being just a little breezy up here but basically nothing at all. It was probably gusting to 40 mph down in the valley through.

North Bend gets rocked when its an east wind... but if the angle is a little more from the SE then Enumclaw gets pummeled and its not too bad in North Bend.

This looks like more of a North Bend event and not Enumclaw. But it does not look extremely strong... probably some 40 mph gusts which is not unusual in the winter. I don't see a damaging event in the valley. All the trees here are very used to the east wind and it takes a lot to cause problems.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-gust-mph-

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The looping uw radar shows it pretty good. I know you don't use that one but it shows this pretty good.

I do like that radar because it gives you a nice view of the big picture.   As I have mentioned... because its a composite of numerous radars there can be overlapping and things can look more robust than reality.   That does not seem to be the case this morning.   And it really shows the center of the low pressure area well right now.

21F and moderate snow here. Really appreciate this band moving in from the strait.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Snow really coming down now! 20.6 degrees.

Does not look like much on radar... that cold air is effective at wringing out all the available moisture.  

WOW What did I just read from the NWS? This is why I don't night shift! Way too fun to wake up and see a call for 3-5 more inches of snow :).

Anyways, 27 here right now and just a light dusting from last night before I even went to bed. Roads are covered, but only just. 

My wife is ferrying a elderly woman to jury duty today. Apparently she lives 3 minutes away from us and barely got out yesterday in her electric car. Wouldn't want her on the road with the conditions they are in this morning...

• Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

12Z ICON keeps the snow north of Everett tonight.   But it did shift south from the last couple runs,

You would think the ICON could have a handle on something just 12 hours away.   Maybe not.

6:55 AM Upper Air Temps

• 925mb
Portland: -2.0c
Salem: -1.5c
The Dalles: -4.8c
Seattle: -5.5c
Bellingham: -7.7c
Pendleton: -5.0c
Moses Lake: -9.0c
Spokane: -8.0c
Omak: -11.3c
*Note the 925mb isotherm contours and how they are 'stacked' across the central and eastern Gorge. This would typically represent a decent low level blast IF we had offshore gradients.
82072468_10219628488334480_4490615541802

• 850mb
Portland: -7.2c
Salem: -7.0c
The Dalles: -7.0c
Seattle: -9.5c
Bellingham: -11.3c
Pendleton: -6.0c
Moses Lake: -9.2c
Spokane: -9.5c
Omak: -13.0c
81961702_10219628523815367_6763186491641

Everything depends on if the arctic air from the now snow covered central Gorge and Columbia Basin holds in place, or if its briefly pushed back today. If so, then we may not get enough arctic air pulled back into the Gorge and the east winds won't help us get cold enough. However, if the arctic air remains in these areas that changes things quite a bit and would likely lead to a period of snow for PDX metro perhaps for 4-8 hours. Hood River and The Dalles are forecast to be 32-34 today. The snow covered central Gorge and Columbia Basin would be huge if it remains in place through Tuesday night.

Barely anything for Seattle overnight.

Every time your name verifies, I'm gonna chuckle. Every time it doesn't, I'm gonna chuckle. 

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Yeah, have a feeling this is going to be Sunday night 2.0.

So close, yet so far.

:(

Maybe y'all need to pack up and move out close to Kayla.

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Latest HRRR looks to be a little further north than previous through 8PM.

Not looking good for us south of Seattle.

Guess those of us around Seattle will have to just enjoy the 0.5” from Sunday night and the other 0.5” from last night.

Wednesday system look like as well anyway with the east wind.