Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

It’s obvious on the radar that the moisture moving north of the Olympics is rapidly moving northeasterly upon clearing the east side of the mountains. Not looking good for anywhere south of Randy’s house. Seattle and areas to the south may get in on what rounds the Olympics to the south.

• Like 2

If last night’s was any indication. King County, particularly C. Sound will be shadowed. The track is primed for it.

Ya it’s been hard watching all the heavy snow happen the last few days just north of me. We will definitely get shadowed and north sound will definitely get more snow but we can still have a chance at getting some good amounts.

Calm down everyone. The precip will be coming off the Olympics shortly. We have seen this a million times throughout the year but just rain.

I think this will be different.  

The radar often looks like this with an incoming wave along a warm front... and the rain spreads over the region from NW to SE.    That happens all the time.

This a weak "warm front" lifting north... but as Matt mentioned yesterday its running into arctic air in this situation and that is a unique set up.  I think that is the reason for the intense snowfall up north and on the coast.   But this is probably not going to spread southeast as usual.   Its going to continue feeding in from the coast as the entire band very slowly lifts north.   

The south winds will be picking up soon and go all night to the south of the band.   SEA just switched to S13 at 5 p.m.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Olympics will eat everything. I hope I am wrong but that is the sad truth.

This is not going to be a problem for south areas because of snow shadow because the flow is just fine it is a precip problem. If there is downslope drying then the precip should never make it to me and it already has got here.
  • Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Light snow at the moment. Very doubtful we'll get any stickage. Nice to see though.

Nothing here on the east side.  Been dry all day.  36F right now.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The radar often looks like this with an incoming wave along a warm front... and the rain spreads over the region from NW to SE. That happens all the time.

This a weak "warm front" lifting north... but as Matt mentioned yesterday its running into arctic air in this situation and that is a unique set up. I think that is the reason for the intense snowfall up north and on the coast. But this is probably not going to spread southeast as usual. Its going to continue feeding in from the coast as the entire band very slowly lifts north.

The south winds will be picking up soon and go all night to the south of the band. SEA just switched to S13 at 5 p.m.

agreed and good point on the arctic air interaction as I am not sure what that will do. But we have seen this similar storm come in from the west and it starts to fill in a bit around the Olympics but takes a bit and is definitely a lighter precip.
  • Like 1

The radar often looks like this with an incoming wave along a warm front... and the rain spreads over the region from NW to SE. That happens all the time.

This a weak "warm front" lifting north... but as Matt mentioned yesterday its running into arctic air in this situation and that is a unique set up. I think that is the reason for the intense snowfall up north and on the coast. But this is probably not going to spread southeast as usual. Its going to continue feeding in from the coast as the entire band very slowly lifts north.

The south winds will be picking up soon and go all night to the south of the band. SEA just switched to S13 at 5 p.m.

I’m trying to hold to that NE wind but it has failed. It has switched to S last hour to 7mph and temp jumped from 29 to 33.

Calm down everyone. The precip will be coming off the Olympics shortly. We have seen this a million times throughout the year but just rain.

Yes.  But, I still think Piece County has a hard time seeing it move East like that.  Its going to be North of Tacoma mostly, I think till later on.

This is not going to be a problem for south areas because of snow shadow because the flow is just fine it is a precip problem. If there is downslope drying then the precip should never make it to me and it already has got here.

What time did it start to snow there?  The moisture is racing up the Peninsula I am glad to see.

Am I out to lunch thinking this clearing might get the WV down to freezing pretty fast tonight?

I just hit 32f.  I was guessing I might hit close to 28f.  Fog might be a problem though.  Unfortunately it will have warmed above freezing before the moisture moves in. 

Yes. But, I still think Piece County has a hard time seeing it move East like that. Its going to be North of Tacoma mostly, I think till later on.

agree the precip line is all pretty much north but there’s some low hanging fruit looking to swing out that way if it doesn’t get eaten up too much before it gets there.