March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Not insanely terrible by hour 72, though.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Weird how many models are so far north and some are so far south...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a bad EURO run.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

00z EURO for the Gorge, Columbia Basin is colder than previous runs.

ecmwf_T850_nwus_4.png

Past 4 runs

attachicon.gif3-11-20 00z EURO 850mb 4 runs.gif

King GFS? 

Makes sense with the trough just pushing further south on this run. 

Don't like the low track though.

12z ECMWF had 0.9 in of precip for PDX for the Saturday event, the 00z has 0.4 in. More cold air does make it into the basin as you pointed out. Gonna need to be a careful balance between the cold and precip as usual. 

• Like 2

Not a bad EURO run.

Yeah. This is looking quite solid right now. It's hard to say how much moisture will be available, the exact placement of the low, but seeing the Euro trending colder is never a bad thing. C'mon! Think Cold and SNOW!!!! Man it sucks not having access to my weather groups! I guess eating a midnight Pizza might help with that. Oh, I didn't have DQ tonight, that was a week ago. Good stuff.

I'll be back in about 14-18 minutes. Toilet....

If you can't joke around during a media virus scare, when can you? You gotta have fun to have fun.

• Like 1

King GFS? 

Makes sense with the trough just pushing further south on this run. 

Don't like the low track though.

12z ECMWF had 0.9 in of precip for PDX for the Saturday event, the 00z has 0.4 in. More cold air does make it into the basin as you pointed out. Gonna need to be a careful balance between the cold and precip as usual. 

Yeah. Let's get that low hugging right off Astoria and slowly scoot southward. I like our chances!

6z NAM in 1 hour 13 minutes

• Like 2

00Z ECMWF shows temps close to 60 up here on Monday... warmer in the foothills than near the Sound.    And not as warm in Oregon.

Did not expect to see a chance at 60 here so quickly.

And then even warmer on Tuesday... this looks like golf in a short-sleeve shirt for Chris.    :)

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m-f-max

Same thing again on Wednesday too.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z ECMWF is about 1c colder at 850mb (-6c) over PDX and about 2c colder in the basin (-12c). 

850th.us_nw.png

The GFS has about -14c in the gorge at the same time. That brings them a decent bit closer together. The big difference is of course that the GFS has close to 3x the precip...

850th.us_nw.png

The cold lingers much longer in eastern OR as well... into next week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Quick shot of chilly air again next Thursday and then it warms up fast again per the ECMWF.

This run shows a decent chance at 60 or above on 5 out of 6 days next week here.

Way out at day 10... it shows Portland has a shot at 70.

I probably just jinxed it all though!

Quick shot of chilly air again next Thursday and then it warms up fast again per the ECMWF.

This run shows a decent chance at 60 or above on 5 out of 6 days next week here.

Way out at day 10... it shows Portland has a shot at 70.

I probably just jinxed it all though!

.... and we're back to "Dang it, TIM!" :D

31.6F here. Preparing for tomorrow nights wet flurries

Dry flurries are overrated. Why would anyone want cold or arctic air that's rapidly drying out the atmosphere. Wet flurries could possibly lead to wet and heavy snow showers with accumulations. C'MON!!!! Saturday night and Sunday night look dang close to being Cold Enough For Socks! ©Rob 2019-2020.

Total snow per the 06Z ECMWF... might be a little more snow for the Seattle area but in general the models have been trending much drier from Olympia northward.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total-sno

Still going to be an interesting weekend...I like my chances of seeing some snow in the air atleast...would be cool to see accumulating snow but in mid March it wouldn’t last long anyways. Should be a pretty chilly weekend for early spring...hoping PDX can score a really fun event to make up for the last couple of years. Kind of funny how it looks like snow chances will be mainly south of Seattle now after Seattle south got screwed in January.

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Still going to be an interesting weekend...I like my chances of seeing some snow in the air atleast...would be cool to see accumulating snow but in mid March it wouldn’t last long anyways. Should be a pretty chilly weekend for early spring...hoping PDX can score a really fun event to make up for the last couple of years. Kind of funny how it looks like snow chances will be mainly south of Seattle now after Seattle south got screwed in January.

I’d rather just have a December or January event that actually delivers big snow that sticks like 1/10/17. But of course the time with the greatest potential must torch every winter.

January 2020 in Portland had a similar average temp to a normal Sacramento January, even with that chilly stretch mid month. Fail at life

• Like 1

Got down to 30F. Beautiful morining!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I’d rather just have a December or January event that actually delivers big snow that sticks like 1/10/17. But of course the time with the greatest potential must torch every winter.

January 2020 in Portland had a similar average temp to a normal Sacramento January, even with that chilly stretch mid month. Fail at life

It would make this a much less crappy winter if you guys did score something even if it is brief and in mid March. Better late than never.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0