March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

I wonder what the magical temps will have to be to actually get sticking snow on the streets IF this happens.  Sun angle has warmed surfaces and even during the day it will be tough to get sticking snow on the streets with a higher sun.  I'd bet temps would have to be 28f max to get things sticking.  Hey, I'd still be happy with 33f snow in March for a day.  Looks to me there will be possible light southerly drift to start with.  That isn't going to help either if we want sticking snow on the valley floor. 

I think good precip rates and just around freezing is still good enough. It is hard to get those together though, especially this time of year. Upper 20s and snow isn't going to happen with this. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total-sno

Good chance most people will atleast see some snow in the air. Euro is pretty chilly too. Maybe this will be a fun Portland special to make up for the lame winter down there.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

At least the last 6 if not more GFS runs actually take a really similar track with the Friday low and the ensemble support looks good too. Hopefully counts for something. I'm still quite skeptical about the GFS and its cold bias but having the euro on board makes me feel better about seeing something. Snow in the air at the lowest elevations looking quite doable.

The EURO being similar inspires confidence. I may get a few flurries here at the top of the West Hills.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I feel it’s a northerly pull

Of course— that would be preferable for you. Either way PDX has a better chance simply because of the added Gorge influence this weekend, I feel.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think good precip rates and just around freezing is still good enough. It is hard to get those together though, especially this time of year. Upper 20s and snow isn't going to happen with this. 

It would have to be really heavy rates, night-time but accums will be brief on the roadways.  The asphalt is  soaking a lot of solar up during the day now and makes it pretty tough to get a 33f snowflake to last on a 45-50f street.  Those street temps could be a little colder when the precip starts but still too warm.  It could happen briefly but unless it's prolonged heavy snow, it just won't be cold enough.   If it's daytime, obviously will be even tougher.  I'll still take an inch of wet snow and bare pavement over no snow at all in March. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total-sno

• Like 1

Enjoying these beautiful days. It's gonna be depressing when/if wet snow starts falling. It won't stick and would just be an annoyance. I'm ready for summer. 57/40 today. I was happy to not scrape frost off the windshield this morning.

• Like 1

UKMET is south too. Good low position on most models outside of the NAM and ICON. 

attachicon.gifukmet1.png

Still so many ways this thing can screw up even assuming the low comes south. Hopefully don't end up with the classic cold air getting held up and not getting here through the groge before the precip ends problem.

Great news. Would be nice to even just see some flakes.

• Like 1

This cold will not quit. My teachers recommended I stay home tomorrow as well, but I’d rather get back to school ASAP tbh. Out of precaution I’ll probably take another day .

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Have you gotten tested?

No, I don’t think it’s that bad yet. There’s a case near my house (which is concerning), but slowly I’m getting better. Should be able to finally get back to school on Friday. I honestly feel bad missing school— I don’t think I’m sick enough to deserve that privilege.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

This cold will not quit. My teachers recommended I stay home tomorrow as well, but I’d rather get back to school ASAP tbh. Out of precaution I’ll probably take another day .

I hope you feel better soon but seriously don't go back if you're sick and especially if you can't rule out COVID19. You might be fine but think about other people, especially the elderly and vulnerable. 

• Like 2