March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Nice day!

Really is a nice day... surreal feeling with everything shutting down while the sun is shining and nature coming to life. Quite the juxtaposition.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Really is a nice day... surreal feeling with everything shutting down while the sun is shining and nature coming to life. Quite the juxtaposition.

Indeed, still normal out this way but I expect the hammer to drop tomorrow on closures.

But I did shoot a 38 early this afternoon under mostly sunny skies and 53 degrees.

2-3" is looking good for higher areas away from the water in the Portland metro. Timing is favorable with the heaviest rates coming from 4am-11am.

Would you say 2-3" could be possible for my area? (1000 ft in the West Hills close to Downtown Portland)? Or do you think there will be a very defined east/west or north/south gradient?

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Would you say 2-3" could be possible for my area? (1000 ft in the West Hills close to Downtown Portland)? Or do you think there will be a very defined east/west or north/south gradient?

Tons of maps have been shared. look at them.

If you live in the west hills at 1000 feet. You're gonna do just fine assuming the models are correct.

• Like 2

Look at RGEM, GEM, GFS, EURO, UKMET, NAM 3KM and even the crappy ICON. Every single model is showing a few inches for areas with some elevation and we are under 48 hrs out. You're in good shape IMO. 2-4 inches is a solid bet. 

Trace to 2 inch for the rest of the metro.  Among the low elevation areas, would expect amounts on the higher end for the places along the coast range from cold air damming and upsloping east winds. 

• Like 1

What are your thoughts? Better agreement with the models since your last "forecast". Surely you have something new to say.

Surely a lot of people will “see” snow. Accumulations are going be very dependent on exact timing and intensity. Upslope spots are gonna be in the best shape for that.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I think one reason the rivers are so low is the generally cool weather has the snow still locked up  in the highlands, which is a good thing. But obviously the lack of normal rainfall at this time of year is also playing a role. Praying for a snowier pattern in the mountains late March into April.

This time of year (mostly in April) we get snow coming off the mid to high elevations but this Feb-Mar there has been only small bounces in the rivre's (Clackamas and Sandy) due to rain and very little snow in the 2-4K elevations.  It's been a while since we've had more than .5" for the week.    The coastal streams like the Trask and Wilson have also been on the low side but not as bad as the inland streams.  Snow runoff always is a good thing and that will come later.  In the meantime, we need good ol' rain in the watershed.  With the limited moisture coming in this weekend, the Sandy will barely bounce (thats because precip will fall as snow in the hills)

I prefer the Sandy to be between 10' and 11'.  I can squeak by at 9.5'

I can't run my sled on the Clackamas below about 12.6".  I can bank fish it down to about 11.8, barely.  It's very fishable up to 14'. 

I prefer the Sandy, though and I need rain up in them there hills!

sndo3_hg.png

esto3_hg.png

• Like 2

This time of year (mostly in April) we get snow coming off the mid to high elevations but this Feb-Mar there has been only small bounces in the rivre's (Clackamas and Sandy) due to rain and very little snow in the 2-4K elevations. It's been a while since we've had more than .5" for the week. The coastal streams like the Trask and Wilson have also been on the low side but not as bad as the inland streams. Snow runoff always is a good thing and that will come later. In the meantime, we need good ol' rain in the watershed. With the limited moisture coming in this weekend, the Sandy will barely bounce (thats because precip will fall as snow in the hills)

I prefer the Sandy to be between 10' and 11'. I can squeak by at 9.5'

I can't run my sled on the Clackamas below about 12.6". I can bank fish it down to about 11.8, barely. It's very fishable up to 14'.

I prefer the Sandy, though and I need rain up in them there hills!

I drove along the Clackamas today. Pretty far upriver and was surprised at how low it was. I was debating doing the Sandy on Saturday but 35 degrees with wet snow falling all day doesn't sound like fun to be out in.
  • Like 2

I drove along the Clackamas today. Pretty far upriver and was surprised at how low it was. I was debating doing the Sandy on Saturday but 35 degrees with wet snow falling all day doesn't sound like fun to be out in.

Well up past North Fork? I was up at Harriet Lake last Monday and the river at that time was still a bit high.

Had some light hail showers in Victoria this morning. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, feels like it's been awhile since we've seen anything this cold at the upper levels at this time of year. Then again, with sun and no snow cover even a February blast can end up only slightly below normal, the low level cold has a lot to overcome.

• Like 1

I am getting withdrawal symptoms not able to post in either of my Facebook weather groups. By the way, anyone who is in my PDX WX Analysis group, if you could pass along this message I would appreciate it.

"Good job everyone holding down the fort keeping the group active and interesting. I appreciate it. I can still read comments and messages I wish I could post right now with the possibility of snow Saturday morning. It's crazy that we're even talking about this potential at all. Think Cold and SNOW!!!! C'MON!"

I am getting withdrawal symptoms not able to post in either of my Facebook weather groups. By the way, anyone who is in my PDX WX Analysis group, if you could pass along this message I would appreciate it.

"Good job everyone holding down the fort keeping the group active and interesting. I appreciate it. I can still read comments and messages I wish I could post right now with the possibility of snow Saturday morning. It's crazy that we're even talking about this potential at all. Think Cold and SNOW!!!! C'MON!"

Done

• Like 1

Lose a bet?

00z GFS still onboard

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_7.png

Brought back some more intense snow as well. I think hills may get a sloppy half inch or so, I'm confident.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark is still saying it'll likely be conversational snow, but this is exactly what he did say during the March 2012 event...

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

33 here. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The best hope for snow in PDX comes from the NWS completely downplaying this:

Rain with this front will reach the coast late Friday morning then
inland in the afternoon. This is a cold system and snow levels will
rapidly lower down to near 2000 feet by Friday evening. Models
indicate that the front will move inland Friday evening. Then much
colder air moves inland Friday night and Saturday as the surface low
lingers near the region, and snow levels are expected to be around
1500 feet. Instability increases Saturday afternoon and night as the
cold pool aloft moves over the region. This may support heavier
showers that will bring the colder air aloft closer to the surface,
and the best chance of snow levels lowering below 1000 feet. Even the
lowest elevations could see snow mixing in with rain Saturday evening
and night.

Really odd to me that they are focusing on Saturday PM as the best shot for low elevation snow. Every single model shows the heaviest precip late Friday night into Saturday AM and that is when the best chance for snow is. 

• Like 2