August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I was going to make a joke about the highest point in Maryland but it's higher than I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoye-Crest

Even more strange because Phil has places very close to him that are so much higher than my area.   He even pretended to live in McHenry MD for a couple years at 2,500 feet.   😀   

My house is only 800 feet higher than Phil's house.    And he lives in a swamp.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm just glad we are all getting along today. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, Tyler Mode said:

Marine air and low clouds already pushing onshore much stronger than yesterday.  Currently 87, down 13 from this time yesterday.

Yeah marine air is on the move inland…Shelton maxed out at 88 down to 82 now. Olympia hit 91 and now it’s 88 with a SW breeze. 

Add another 90F burger on…

E5E07B03-DB78-40ED-A0FA-44E533AFFB82.jpeg

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Officially 91 for a high at SEA. 

4th consecutive day of 90+.  Not sure how many times that has ever happened but it's pretty rare.  The annual average is only 3.   I know the record was 5 until last summer when SEA had 6 consecutive days at 90+.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, Dave said:

New track for Hilary out. Bummer that Timmy_Supercell left because this could get interesting in southern Oregon.

234623_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Looks like the NHC thinks Hilary will keep it’s tropical characteristics when it hits Southern California. We’re still in the cone that we have to be on alert up here west of the Cascades.

27 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Officially 91 for a high at SEA. 

4th consecutive day of 90+.  Not sure how many times that has ever happened but it's pretty rare.  The annual average is only 3.   I know the record was 5 until last summer when SEA had 6 consecutive days at 90+.

Screenshot_20230817-172702-448.png

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

4 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

Screenshot_20230817-172702-448.png

They must be using a low threshold for extreme heat for Seattle.   The 2009 event list there had a high of 84 right in the middle of that 10 day period and 83 on the last day.    

I am sure @Skagit Weather can tell me how many times SEA has been 90+ for 4 consecutive days.  

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

They must be using a low threshold for extreme heat for Seattle.   The 2009 event list there had a high of 84 right in the middle of that 10 day period and 83 on the last day.    

I am sure @Skagit Weather can tell me how many times SEA has been 90+ for 4 consecutive days.  

He definitely should have clarify what he means with extreme heat

☥𓂀✡️

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That Don Sutherland guy is an east coaster and hardcore climate change alarmist...just saying. 

And yeah, strange threshold for "extreme" heat.

A forum for the end of the world.

47 minutes ago, Dave said:

New track for Hilary out. Bummer that Timmy_Supercell left because this could get interesting in southern Oregon.

234623_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

That's actually crazy how California and Oregon (and probably WA soon) got onto a hurricane's forecasted cone before Florida in mid-August. 

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

18Z ECMWF shows some morning low clouds around Seattle tomorrow but clearing quickly and high of only 77.    That is going to be so nice.   Unfortunately after the trough passes by to the north by Saturday the flow turns to the NE and the smoke comes in quickly and Sunday might be pretty bad.   Hopefully the next ULL which parks itself offshore by Monday will help return SW flow and clear the smoke out on this side of the mountains.   

2 hours ago, FroYoBro said:

Can you guys imagine Phil sneaking into Tim's bedroom in the middle of the night and whispering into his ear "I heard you like it hot"?

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Omg :lol: 

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

yes, Phil says no though

i think its a good one and a dud in these parts, oh well.  I've already accepted it

Phil can be wrong sometimes. I’m due for a bust.

9 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

you saying his data is wrong?  what's your beef.  keep spewing BS

He is obviously using at least 83 or maybe lower as the threshold for extreme heat because that is the only way the 2009 event could be 10 days long.     That seems like quite a stretch to use the term extreme heat considering the average in Seattle gets up to about 80 in the summer.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

He is obviously using at least 83 or maybe lower as the threshold for extreme heat because that is the only way the 2009 event could be 10 days long.     That seems like quite a stretch to call it extreme heat considering the average in SEA gets up to about 80 in the summer.  

Screenshot_20230817-175634.png

☥𓂀✡️

1 minute ago, ChristheElohim said:

Screenshot_20230817-175634.png

Thanks.

That must be an old post because the record of 5 has been broken now.    But it does put in context how rare this current heat event was for SEA.  

55 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Looks like the NHC thinks Hilary will keep it’s tropical characteristics when it hits Southern California. We’re still in the cone that we have to be on alert up here west of the Cascades.

That would surprise me.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Thanks.

That must be an old post because the record of 5 has been broken now.    But it does put in context how rare this current heat event was for SEA.  

Found it here

https://climate.washington.edu/climate-events/2009heatwave/

☥𓂀✡️

Fires all over the place in southern BC spreading smoke to the east this afternoon.   Also an active fire in the middle of Vancouver Island.    Not hard to see why it will get smokey down here when the flow switches to NE.  

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-subregional-S_British_Columbia-truecolor-00_56Z-20230818_map_noBar-18-1n-10-100.gif