August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

November is my favorite month. Highest windstorm potential, snow potential, just big storms in general potential! 
July is my second favorite. Summertime weather without the smoke yet. Third is December! 

Did you say windstorm? I love windstorms my top favorite weather event, Thunderstorms second and snow third.

• Like 1

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

Tuesday looks exciting. Seattle is in a great spot to maximize lift and instability. Storms should be #whet too and with the rain coming immediately afterward, fire concerns should be limited.

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Really too bad the calendar doesn’t say it’s winter. 

IMG_4453.png

At face value that would just be frustrating warm rain with the cold air being blocked.   😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, MossMan said:

November is my favorite month. Highest windstorm potential, snow potential, just big storms in general potential! 
July is my second favorite. Summertime weather without the smoke yet. Third is December! 

Feb-Apr is the best time of year. :D 

• Sick 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You are a walking jinx dude.   😀

That’s Jim. Otherwise late July would’ve been 115°F. 🤞🙏

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s Jim. Otherwise late July would’ve been 115°F. 🤞🙏

If these runs verify then it’s countdown time until the rain complaints/anxiety outpace all heat complaints this summer by about a hundred-fold.

I see it’s already starting…

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

39 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

Did you say windstorm? I love windstorms my top favorite weather event, Thunderstorms second and snow third.

Me too!! Though not many others on here like windstorms…Especially Jim! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

43 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Really too bad the calendar doesn’t say it’s winter. 

IMG_4453.png

This would still be wonderful. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

15 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

If these runs verify then it’s countdown time until the rain complaints/anxiety outpace all heat complaints this summer by about a hundred-fold.

I see it’s already starting…

😀

You are starting early this year!   I am sure next warm season won't humble you again.    

Side note... there were almost no complaints from anyone all of last winter.   Lots cold and snow and sun mixed in with the rainy periods   Look it up and take a break from your annual attack mode.   Nature will just punish you again.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Weather round up for the past few days. Ended up with a 92/62 yesterday, hot with hazy and smoky skies and large pyrocumulus from the Camp Creek fire visible to the east at times.

Low of 60 this morning, now 72, hazy and partly cloudy. Maybe a notch or two cooler today than yesterday, then temps move more decidedly downhill going into the work week.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

12Z ECMWF still looks good.   Also shows lots of lightning around Vancouver Island on Monday.    And the 70+ streak definitely ends Tuesday.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-lightning_density_last6-1693137600-1693288800-1693353600-20.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_3hr_inch-1693137600-1693278000-1693371600-20.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-3375200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-3353600.png

• Like 3

One-two punch to knock out the fire season in western WA with another system rolling though on Thursday with highs even cooler than Tuesday.   Wednesday looks like really nice (smoke-free) day in between with highs in the mid 70s and partly cloudy.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_6hr_inch-3526400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-3526400.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Total rain per the 12Z ECMWF through Friday morning.   This should be the end of the smoke for this year.   In stark contrast to last year when the worst was just getting started in early September.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-3569600.png

• Like 7
  • Excited 1
  • Rain 1

27 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Total rain per the 12Z ECMWF through Friday morning.   This should be the end of the smoke for this year.   In stark contrast to last year when the worst was just getting started in early September.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-3569600.png

I’m sure September will have some days in the 70s-low 80s but overall fall is seeming to show up earlier than normal this year. Much different than last year. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I’m sure September will have some days in the 70s-low 80s but overall fall is seeming to show up earlier than normal this year. Much different than last year. 

For sure... makes sense given that summer started about 2 months earlier this year.

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

November is as dynamic as it gets. March and April are pretty lousy months here. It's still too cold to be comfortable for many outdoor activities but almost never snows and tropical origin systems are pretty much done by then. I'll be in Palm Springs in November this year so I'm expecting there will be a blizzard while I'm away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

November is as dynamic as it gets. March and April are pretty lousy months here. It's still too cold to be comfortable for many outdoor activities but almost never snows and tropical origin systems are pretty much done by then. I'll be in Palm Springs in November this year so I'm expecting there will be a blizzard while I'm away.

Totally agree about March and April... usually my least favorite months.   I don't mind November as expectations are low and days are very short.   We will also be in Palm Springs in November.   Weather will still be warm but the sun goes down very early even down there.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Just for fun... total rain over next 10 days per 12Z ECMWF.    Might be enough to salvage some fall color.   Last year was the worst year I can ever remember for fall color.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-4001600.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Omegaraptor said:

I am noticing some deciduous trees already beginning to turn. Probably because of the remarkably consistent warmth and dryness since late April.

Leaf out was late again this year... then we went right from winter to summer in late April.   I was expecting leaves to hang on longer again this year but they are probably giving up now after so much warm/dry weather.  

Damn I’m an an outcast here, I love Mar/Apr.

Always dynamic even in the most tame years. Severe thunderstorms, snowstorms, and high winds. Sometimes all in the same day.

September is 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 by comparison.

12 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

The best skiing of the entire season is often in March. I take it you’re not into winter sports?

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Totally agree about March and April... usually my least favorite months.   I don't mind November as expectations are low and days are very short.   We will also be in Palm Springs in November.   Weather will still be warm but the sun goes down very early even down there.  

This will be my first time in Palm Springs. It looks like the weather in November there is really similar to what we typically get in July.

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Leaf out was late again this year... then we went right from winter to summer in late April.   I was expecting leaves to hang on longer again this year but they are probably giving up now after so much warm/dry weather.  

Mother in law already activated the passive aggressive leaf removal notification system. Very early.

Speaking of mothers, today is mom’s 70th birthday!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

21 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

IMG_4880.jpeg

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • bongocat-test 1

9 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

This will be my first time in Palm Springs. It looks like the weather in November there is really similar to what we typically get in July.

Temp is usually July-like but doesn't feel like it with the sun coming in from the side rather than from above.

• Like 1