September 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

The transition from spring to summer can take 4-5 months but the transition to fall can be done in about a week. All of our seasons seem to be very gradual slow changes but fall usually hits fast. 

2022-23 will go down as an extremely odd bookended cold season. It took us approximately one week to go from summer to winter late last year, and then it took about the same amount of time to go back from winter to summer this April/May.

• Like 4

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/sep/07/very-strong-el-nino-moving-up-oregon-coast-to-bring-warmer-winter-with-scorching-ocean-water-for-marine-life/

I wasn't aware that El Ninos "moved" up the West Coast. Guess the PNW coastal waters are a tropical ENSO region now.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • lol 1
  • Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/sep/07/very-strong-el-nino-moving-up-oregon-coast-to-bring-warmer-winter-with-scorching-ocean-water-for-marine-life/

I wasn't aware that El Ninos "moved" up the West Coast. Guess the PNW coastal waters are a tropical ENSO region now.

Well, if it’s in The Columbian it’s ABSOLUTELY true.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

So many news outlets knowingly publish blatantly false information and the sad thing is that many people are too stupid to actually research or know anything about said information. 

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

2022-23 will go down as an extremely odd bookended cold season. It took us approximately one week to go from summer to winter late last year, and then it took about the same amount of time to go back from winter to summer this April/May.

Yeah, went from abnormally warm with smoky air in late October to some places getting lowland snow just a week later. 
 The switch flipped pretty significantly at the end of April as well. Another year I can think where the seasons changed pretty rapidly was March 2019. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Yeah, went from abnormally warm with smoky air in late October to some places getting lowland snow just a week later. 
 The switch flipped pretty significantly at the end of April as well. Another year I can think where the seasons changed pretty rapidly was March 2019. 

The winter —> summer transition taking a long time is what I’d expect with the giant Pacific Ocean immediately upstream, but the switch flip from summer to winter is funny/weird.

I figure it has something to do with the equator/pole thermal gradient..exactly what I’m not sure.

IMG_6560.jpegIMG_6559.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

So many news outlets knowingly publish blatantly false information and the sad thing is that many people are too stupid to actually research or know anything about said information. 

I wasn't even aware El Nino is a "tropical weather system" and it's pretty much where I stopped reading after the dumba** headline. 

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Thanks!  

Just something I track.    Last summer it was only 4 months with the late start.

That also means it's okay for ppl to be excited when the rainy season starts right?! You got 6 months worth of boating season. Though with a Nino, you might as well boat all year! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

That also means it's okay for ppl to be excited when the rainy season starts right?! You got 6 months worth of boating season. Though with a Nino, you might as well boat all year! 

Yep!   I got my money's worth this warm season.    Let's go with winter now!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yep!   I got my money's worth this warm season.    Let's go with winter!

Dude, any ideas on how to keep squirrels out of the garden? This is our first year growing corns and all of our matured corns are getting break into by D**n squirrels, so we have to break down our corns. We'll try again next year but need to figure out how to  keep the squirrels at bay. :(

25 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Dude, any ideas on how to keep squirrels out of the garden? This is our first year growing corns and all of our matured corns are getting break into by D**n squirrels, so we have to break down our corns. We'll try again next year but need to figure out how to  keep the squirrels at bay. :(

Squirrels are tough!   Can't keep them out with a fence.    For some reason we never have issues with squirrels.   Our area might have enough natural predators to keep them down.   Deer on the hand would destroy our garden in a day if given the chance.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, the_convergence_zone said:

☠️ 

IMG_0914.png

Eh, verbatim that’s not too different from a midwinter nor’easter up there. But the hype will be insane if that verifies. 😂 

Beautiful and not a cloud in the sky. 84F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 hours ago, the_convergence_zone said:

☠️ 

IMG_0914.png

We instituted a policy that posting model outputs more than 48 hours out requires a license or a certification in meteorology. Joe Z on Twitter, sure you’ve heard of him, had suggested as much last winter.

Please refrain from any further speculation.

• lol 1
  • Snow 1
  • bongocat-test 1

I’m surprised models aren’t more bullish on a strong autumn/early winter pacific jet. It’s very consistent signal across analog pools but LE guidance simply ain’t having it.

EPS seasonal is drier than average across most of BC/WA every month from September to (at least) March.

2 hours ago, iFred said:

We instituted a policy that posting model outputs more than 48 hours out requires a license or a certification in meteorology. Joe Z on Twitter, sure you’ve heard of him, had suggested as much last winter.

Please refrain from any further speculation.

I prefer not to associate with that guy. In any case, we decided a few pages back that posting wild deterministic output is “fun” and I agreed to find all of the wind storms. 

• scream 1

I've never understood the rage around posting long range weather maps. It's not like most people get their weather info from random snow weenies online, let alone the weather service.

I love the bright colors. They decorate the place nicely.

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024