November 2023 Weather in the PNW

Tyler Mode

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

What a dumpster fire. The world's premier model is NOT on board. 

It has the alaska ridge, just nudged a little East. Honestly not that bad. 

• Like 2

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

If this goes completely off the rails it's not surprising as the potential pattern change and cold pattern was 8 days out. So we look for trends. We had them in our favor for 24 hours or so. Now that may be backing off. The Canadian solution would be okay with me. The CFS is kind of similar with a big backdoor shot. The EPS held serve pretty much. At least the GFS gives us a decent Columbia Basin cold pool. This isn't over yet we could easily go back to cold solutions. Let's see what the 12z Euro and EPS show today. Ya gotta believe!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

If this goes completely off the rails it's not surprising as the potential pattern change and cold pattern was 8 days out. So we look for trends. We had them in our favor for 24 hours or so. Now that may be backing off. The Canadian solution would be okay with me. The CFS is kind of similar with a big backdoor shot. The EPS held serve pretty much. At least the GFS gives us a decent Columbia Basin cold pool. This isn't over yet we could easily go back to cold solutions. Let's see what the 12z Euro and EPS show today. Ya gotta believe!

Most solutions have the alaska ridge which we need for a cold shot. The placement of that will waffle, but as long as that keeps showing up I'd bet on some period of cold air for us. Now will we have precip? Who knows. 

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

9 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Most solutions have the alaska ridge which we need for a cold shot. The placement of that will waffle, but as long as that keeps showing up I'd bet on some period of cold air for us. Now will we have precip? Who knows. 

The problem is that ridge is expected to be centered way north, it looks like it's going to get undercut by weak storms from the west. 

Central/eastern US snow weenies are licking their chops right now at our expense. 

• Like 1

Just now, the_convergence_zone said:

These little baby volcanic eruptions are not going to move the needle. You need a massive eruption in the tropics. And even then it can backfire like what happened with Tonga causing warming instead of cooling. Maybe all that water vapor in the stratosphere will eventually go away…

If I recall, there was cooling from the last Iceland eruption a few years back.  All I'm looking for is something to hopefully mitigate the warming induced by all the water vapor ejected into the atmosphere by Tonga.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

These little baby volcanic eruptions are not going to move the needle. You need a massive eruption in the tropics. And even then it can backfire like what happened with Tonga causing warming instead of cooling. Maybe all that water vapor in the stratosphere will eventually go away…

I agree, we need another Pinatubo.

• bongocat-test 1

People around here act shocked when an advertised arctic blast at day 10 or so doesn't materialize.  We should know better.  We're like Charlie Brown expecting Lucy to let him kick the football.

Yes it does happen sometimes, and it may still, maybe just one of those 24 hour hiccups that happen in the models before an actual arctic blast does happen.  Or maybe one of those delayed but not denied situations.

But we've seen this so many times that I'm SMH wondering why people are so surprised.

We've seen the rug pulled out at 2-3 days let alone 7 days. There are hardly ever slam dunks, or "no questions about it" this far out.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Tiger, hang in there and never give up fighting for hope. You’ve made it this far and you will continue to get better. With advances in medical technology you are in good hands. Hoping you don’t have to move to Indiana since you have lots of friends here but always do what’s best for you. 

The family from Indiana is moving back here to Springfield so my family is stuck here. None of the rest of them like snow and cold sadly.

• Like 4

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

13 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Pinatubo was crazy for my family back home. I wasn't born until 6 years later but both my parents had to deal with the wet raining ash when a typhoon decided to join a big VEI-6 eruption for a double slice of hell. So the ash that was dispersed to the ocean got collected and brought all back to rain on Luzon. The pyroclastic flows from that eruption were scary textbook material. I wonder if I could ever head home and buy Pinatubo ashes for my garden lol 

• Like 5

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

10 hours ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Hows the numbness?  Have they Saud what kind if surgery?

Unchanged. And 2 options if the steroid injection doesn’t work. Option one is to shave off the part of the disc that protruding and burn it to close the wound (and burn the local nerves so I won’t feel pain there). It’s all arthroscopic and basically outpatient.

Option two is something I had never heard of before. Apparently I’m a candidate for an “artificial disc”, but that is more invasive and I doubt my insurance will cover that. Don’t want ti mess with that.

7 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

People around here act shocked when an advertised arctic blast at day 10 or so doesn't materialize.  We should know better.  We're like Charlie Brown expecting Lucy to let him kick the football.

Yes it does happen sometimes, and it may still, maybe just one of those 24 hour hiccups that happen in the models before an actual arctic blast does happen.  Or maybe one of those delayed but not denied situations.

But we've seen this so many times that I'm SMH wondering why people are so surprised.

We've seen the rug pulled out at 2-3 days let alone 7 days. There are hardly ever slam dunks, or "no questions about it" this far out.

It felt flukey to me from the start. Almost bought into the hype, but the 00z runs saved me.

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

An interesting statistic year by year would be the number of winter cancel posts.  Which one do you think had the most?  2020-2021?

I couldn't even begin to remember which "storm" had the most number of winter cancel moments?  Gotta be one that trended north at the end.

I remember this forum had a major meltdown in January 2011, I think models snatched away 3-4 feet of lowland snow inside 3-4 days.

40 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

We need Yellowstone to pop off a VEI8. And then Toba and Krakatoa to add to it. 🤞

@TT-SEA always gets upset at me when I say this, but we all know it’s the truth.

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Unchanged. And 2 options if the steroid injection doesn’t work. Option one is to shave off the part of the disc that protruding and burn it to close the wound (and burn the local nerves so I won’t feel pain there). It’s all arthroscopic and basically outpatient.

Option two is something I had never heard of before. Apparently I’m a candidate for an “artificial disc”, but that is more invasive and I doubt my insurance will cover that. Don’t want ti mess with that.

The newer artificial disc's are the next generation ones and are much longer lasting than the first generation ones.  They often didn't last more than 10 years and would have to be taken out and a fusion procedure would be done.

My fusion was minimally invasive, 4 small incisions that healed quickly. And I spent only 1 night in the hospital. It's going through the muscles that causes a lot of discomfort and stiffness.

If I had the option of an artificial disc, I would have done that.  And probably I could have had that done if I had more time to ask other surgeons, but due to my dropfoot, I didn't have time to waste.

Not an easy choice, and I guess if the simpler surgery doesn't work, the artificial disc would be an alternative.  My concern with your first option would be that, even if you didn't feel pain, that you would still have numbness because the nerve is still being compressed.   That's the question I would ask of my surgeon.  And of course 2nd opinions are important too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

We need Yellowstone to pop off a VEI8. And then Toba and Krakatoa to add to it. 🤞

@TT-SEA always gets upset at me when I say this, but we all know it’s the truth.

Imagine anyone saying this ever out in public.

• Like 2
  • lol 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024