1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

4 minutes ago, East Dubzz said:

Just went to the grocery store and it took me a minute to figure out why it was so insane there. Man people are ridiculous when it comes to a snowstorm haha

I like to watch them panic as I'm driving to go snowboarding lol

How does this happen. I’m located where 80 & 39 in Illinois so I am right on the border or bureau and Lasall county. Which DVN handles counties to the west LOT has the counties to the east. DVN has our local airport forecasted 6-12” and LOT has the same location 2-4”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sciascia said:

And heavy snow continuing at the end of the run.

IMG_8093.png

IMG_8092.png

Would be solid in just about all of northern IL.

As for my area, it's all about maximizing amounts through about 10z-12z Tue.  Maybe could extend that an hour or two if things break favorably (like HRRR), but afterwards it's likely to non-accumulating snow and then rain before maybe a little more snow as the def zone swings through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakjen said:

How does this happen. I’m located where 80 & 39 in Illinois so I am right on the border or bureau and Lasall county. Which DVN handles counties to the west LOT has the counties to the east. DVN has our local airport forecasted 6-12” and LOT has the same location 2-4”

This is nowcasting. Even though we are close to the storm the models aren't in much of agreement with track. Latest runs now say it's coming in south. Nothing is really confident in where this is heading.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlgamer said:

Just got my Winter Weather Advisory for 2-4". Yay..............😒

Better than my 1-2 .  Garys forecast looks better for ya.  Good luck it still wouldn't surprise me if you end up doing well out of this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Better than my 1-2 .  Garys forecast looks better for ya.  Good luck it still wouldn't surprise me if you end up doing well out of this.

That's a pretty conservative forecast it seems, especially up north. The 18z ICON did come back south enough to give me 7.1" (12z 2.3") so maybe that's the start of the trend back south we've been looking for...lol! And maybe we'll come out better with the late week system if this one flops...lol.

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

NWS Hastings afternoon disco:

Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning, model guidance indicates a pretty heavy snow band that will set up over our central and west forecast area, and snowfall will likely be quite heavy over that area late Monday morning into Monday evening, with snowfall rates of 1"-2" per hour at times. Some of this snow is expected to be convective in nature, and areas of slightly stronger instability will only serve to enhance those snowfall rates...which would also increase snowfall amounts. As this system moves through, winds will become northerly and increase Monday afternoon through Monday night, with gusts of 35-45 MPH expected across the entire forecast area, with a few areas seeing gusts as strong as 50 MPH. This will cause near- blizzard conditions due to falling snow as well as blowing and drifting snow. Elected not to issue a Blizzard Warning at this time, but winds will definitely be strong enough and there will be enough snow...but not sure that the visibility will be reduced quite low enough to meet that criteria. That being said, travel conditions will be extremely hazardous late Monday morning through Monday night due to the snow and blowing snow...and the strong winds themselves may make travel dangerous, especially along W-E roads, including Interstate 80. Snow is expected to taper off overnight Monday night and into early Tuesday morning, but reduced visibility and difficult travel conditions are expected to be concerns throughout the day Tuesday before winds finally diminish Tuesday evening.

• Like 4

Just now, jcwxguy said:

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
349 PM CST Sun Jan 7 2024

IAZ043-055-056-069-NEZ015-030>034-042>045-050>053-065>068-078-
088>093-080600-
/O.CON.KOAX.WS.W.0001.240108T1200Z-240109T1800Z/
Monona-Harrison-Shelby-Pottawattamie-Thurston-Boone-Madison-
Stanton-Cuming-Burt-Platte-Colfax-Dodge-Washington-Butler-
Saunders-Douglas-Sarpy-Seward-Lancaster-Cass-Otoe-Saline-
Jefferson-Gage-Johnson-Nemaha-Pawnee-Richardson-
Including the cities of Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, Pawnee
City, Fairbury, Norfolk, Wisner, Omaha, Schuyler, La Vista,
Crete, Lyons, Nebraska City, Table Rock, Harlan, Lincoln,
Ashland, Onawa, Bellevue, Decatur, Tekamah, Winnebago,
Plattsmouth, Oakland, West Point, Woodbine, Beatrice, Sterling,
Albion, Wilber, St. Edward, Papillion, Logan, Fremont, Columbus,
Dunlap, Yutan, Milford, Mapleton, Wahoo, Walthill, David City,
Pender, Blair, Macy, Stanton, Seward, Auburn, Tecumseh, and Falls
City
349 PM CST Sun Jan 7 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY TO NOON
CST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 6 and
  9 inches. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest and west central Iowa and east
  central, northeast, and southeast Nebraska.

* WHEN...From 6 AM Monday to noon CST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions
  could impact the Monday morning and evening commutes. Gusty winds
  could bring down tree branches.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency. The latest road conditions for
the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

$$

• Like 2