1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

15 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

Picked up 5” in three hours so far! 

IMG_3058.jpeg

Probably around 4”. Snowing as hard now as ever, with bands coming up from the south and moving east to west. Looks like they will merge into a nice heavy band. Wind is really increasing. My wife went to the grocery store and had the truck in 4x4. She said visibility decreased from when she left until now  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

It’s just ugly and stupid, the short term models seem to be showing the warm air fetch into East Central Nebraska and Western Iowa… this is going to cut into our totals big time. Still have some hope to make at least 6”, but it’s definitely dwindling.

i think you peeps over there will do better.  But - for sure - trends down along I-80 to DSM. But I don't trust HRRR/RAP past 6-9 hours as clintbeed said. He is right on. Why people post HRRR / RAP maps out so far is beyond my pay grade.

Stick with radar now. And Common Sense.

Hope you do well!!!

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

It seems like most morning models show another 4-7 inches here with the main system, which aligns very nicely with the NWS forecast. I have a feeling we might be on the lower side of that range given the slight ESE movement with the heavier totals up here (moreso aligning with NW IA) but with roughly 8 inches on the ground already I'm feeling pretty D**n good no matter what happens from this point. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

That being said, I'm really pulling for the more southern folks to score! I've experienced countless last minute rug pulls in the PNW so I know the feeling of everything seemingly falling apart 24 hours before the event starts. Looks like there are some extremely last minute slightly more favorable trends for down there so I'm crossing my fingers for you guys. Best of luck!!

The models certainly increased my totals from yesterday. Too bad I’m riding that line. Not sure I buy those totals for here. I’m more interested in the storm after this one for here….but it may trend north in the coming days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Half of this would be one of the biggest surprises ever.  I like the trend

The models sure moved this south. I’d be happy with 2-3 inches at this point. 

• Like 1

The latest from here...my county has now been added to the WSW calling for 5-8 inches. I probably have picked up an inch so far but there has been melting with temps above freezing. My current temp is 35.1. So far I have avoided the dry slot but generally only light to moderate snow has been falling recently.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Omaha situation certainly looking a little dire early on here but note that NWS Omaha updated the WSWarning around 11:15 AM and left forecast totals unchanged; one would think if they saw serious issues there would have been at least a minor shift. Also, as the storm system begins to really ramp up, already seeing strengthening returns in far SE Nebraska moving northwards ... think early melting might dent totals, sure, but several inches still a very realistic outcome.

• Like 2

If I get over an inch from this I will be shocked. Dry air is being a b!tch. The previously good areas of SW MN might get screwed here, too.

The fact that Euro is the only model still on my side isn't encouraging 

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

This seems like a big adjustment upwards for KC. What are you expecting from yesterdays runs? 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

image.pngHRRR comparison showing our little adjustment for tomorrow morning. Perhaps my ceiling is now an inch? 

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

i think you peeps over there will do better.  But - for sure - trends down along I-80 to DSM. But I don't trust HRRR/RAP past 6-9 hours as clintbeed said. He is right on. Why people post HRRR / RAP maps out so far is beyond my pay grade.

Stick with radar now. And Common Sense.

Hope you do well!!!

It’s puking snow now, no more mixing issues. Nothing is really sticking to the roads yet, however we are finally over an inch on hard surfaces… the snow should really start to stack up these next few hours.

• Like 4

Milwaukee going with 9-14. Seems high 

National Weather Service Milwaukee/Sullivan WI
209 PM CST Mon Jan 8 2024

WIZ046-047-051-052-056>059-062>064-067>069-090415-
/O.CON.KMKX.WS.W.0001.240109T1200Z-240110T0900Z/
/O.CON.KMKX.WW.Y.0001.240109T0300Z-240109T1200Z/
Marquette-Green Lake-Fond du Lac-Sheboygan-Sauk-Columbia-Dodge-
Washington-Iowa-Dane-Jefferson-Lafayette-Green-Rock-
Including the cities of Montello, Westfield, Oxford, Neshkoro,
Endeavor, Berlin, Princeton, Markesan, Fond Du Lac, Plymouth,
Sheboygan Falls, Howards Grove, Oostburg, Baraboo, Reedsburg,
Prairie Du Sac, Sauk City, Portage, Columbus, Lake Wisconsin,
Lodi, Beaver Dam, Waupun, Mayville, West Bend, Germantown,
Hartford, Dodgeville, Mineral Point, Barneveld, Madison,
Watertown, Fort Atkinson, Jefferson, Darlington, Shullsburg,
Benton, Belmont, Argyle, Blanchardville, Monroe, Brodhead,
Janesville, and Beloit
209 PM CST Mon Jan 8 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS
EVENING TO 6 AM CST TUESDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO
3 AM CST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...For the Winter Weather Advisory, snow expected. Snow
  accumulations of 1 to 3 inches. For the Winter Storm Warning,
  heavy snow expected. Additional snow accumulations of 8 to 11
  inches for a storm total of 9 to 14 inches. Winds gusting as
  high as 35 mph.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Even a subtle shift means tons in a setup like ours.

True.  My expectations are really low locally (3-4" with most of it melting and a tiny bit of wraparound) so anything better than that would be a win in my book.

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Easily an inch on the ground.  Snow sticking to the roads which surprised me.  Absolutely puking snow atm.

I would say an inch on the ground here with a temp of 32.2 degrees. Heavy snow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gimmesnow said:

Looks like NWS expects this to go north? 9-14 in the WSW for Portage (north of Madison), 8-11 for the WSW around Lake Geneva.

Just a farther north expansion in qpf but not in the low itself

WSW extended from 6AM to Noon tomorrow, I would assume due to blowing and drifting snow concerns. Still calling for an additional 2-4 inches. 

Looks like we will have another band rotate through in the next hour or two. Most models shows snow picking up to moderate intensity after 6PM, which is when we receive the bulk of the remaining expected amounts, and then tapering off early tomorrow morning.

• Like 2