January 11-13 Major Winter Storm/Blizzard

Interesting that the UKMET gave me 2-3" (10-1 ratio) with this system when nothing else has shown more than an inch or so for a few days. At least it means I have to keep watching lol 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

The latest Euro is a bit messy with the energy, so it's kinda strung out until farther east.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

28 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The latest Euro is a bit messy with the energy, so it's kinda strung out until farther east.

Indeed.  Here's a comparison of the 12z Euro at 108 hrs and the 00z Euro at 120 hrs.  The 00z run was closed off and deeper.

500hv.conus.thumb.png.f8f698306c73e796d57a1b91f56da7b9.png

500hv.conus-1.thumb.png.c9d369f26156275bf23ebf78216b6427.png

At the same time, this results in an 11 mb change in surface low pressure between the runs... pretty substantial.

This isn't anything that can't change back in future cycles, so we just watch and wait.

trend-ecmwf_full-2024010812-f108.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.gif.36a6fbba2c5849ac98320ed589353ba6.gif

A little baffled why Kuchera is "stingy" in areas that are a couple degrees below freezing at the surface and no warmer layers aloft.  Kuchera is spitting out some sub 10:1 ratios in that environment, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  Not saying ratios will be outstanding or anything as wind will also be a limiting factor, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be more like 12:1 or so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bumblin Bman09 said:

My wife is headed to Philly on Friday for a Hockey tournament and my buddy is headed to Holland for a hockey tournament this coming weekend.  I already informed them to try and book travel earlier if possible.   

My nephew's hockey tournament is in Holland, MI this weekend...small world!

Had some time to flip through the 18z GFS in more detail, and man, that run is GHD level crippling for the southeast 1/2 of the LOT cwa.

Mixing depths would be questionable with inland extent, but areas within several miles of Lake Michigan would have a good chance to mix up to 850 mb at times, where 55-60 kt wind resides for a period of time.  Couldn't even rule out areas farther inland mixing like that on a more ephemeral basis.

Now, what can go wrong?  😜

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Had some time to flip through the 18z GFS in more detail, and man, that run is GHD level crippling for the southeast 1/2 of the LOT cwa.

Mixing depths would be questionable with inland extent, but areas within several miles of Lake Michigan would have a good chance to mix up to 850 mb at times, where 55-60 kt wind resides for a period of time.  Couldn't even rule out areas farther inland mixing like that on a more ephemeral basis.

Now, what can go wrong?  😜

yeah that run was insane. Drops 12-16” from Michigan down to NW Indiana into central/northern Illinois. *IF* this verifies could be one one of the more significant hits here since 1/6/14 or the infamous 2/13/07 blizzard. 

also it’s not like this storm is fantasyland, it’s  90ish hours away now. Crazy to think, I foresee minimal sleep this week.

15 minutes ago, Chambana said:

yeah that run was insane. Drops 12-16” from Michigan down to NW Indiana into central/northern Illinois. *IF* this verifies could be one one of the more significant hits here since 1/6/14 or the infamous 2/13/07 blizzard. 

also it’s not like this storm is fantasyland, it’s  90ish hours away now. Crazy to think, I foresee minimal sleep this week.

Starting to get into NAM range. 🫣

• Like 1

Just now, CentralNebWeather said:

Forecast has me with snow likely Thursday morning through Friday morning. We should have a nice glacier if it verifies on top of what we got today. 

That will make for some serious cold up there.  Local met has us with a high of 7 on Sunday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clinton said:

That will make for some serious cold up there.  Local met has us with a high of 7 on Sunday.

Local met. saying if we add another 3-7” with the next storm on top of what we have right now, lows may be -20’s with wind chills much lower. He even said there might be a day this weekend we stay below 0 for a high. Depends on how much we get later this week. Been a pretty good winter so far. 2 blizzards in the last two weeks. Hope you can score some of the drier snow this weekend. It is fun to watch it blow around. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Clinton said:

18z Euro Control and Mean

1705255200-QDAb38UNluE.png

1705255200-LF0tdIBzP6A.png

Nice to see 2" precip showing up in IN on the control.

Boy if this system could slow down even just a little.  I think that's what some of those earlier insane GFS runs were doing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

The NAM is having a tough time to say the least.  Hopefully it will suck a little less this time.

This may miss us to the north….again. Then we’ll get cold and the next storm will be suppressed. I can’t complain. A couple,of years ago we got bullseyed by several storms.

• Like 1

Barring wholesale changes, somebody is getting a blizzard out of this.  Surface low strength and timing of occlusion/rate of weakening are obviously important factors in determining how widespread those conditions will be, but it is increasingly likely.

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

3 minutes ago, Money said:

Looks like some good LE potential along Wisconsin and Illinois? 

Yeah, there'll be some.  Parameters aren't outstanding, but sufficient, and a completely ice free lake obviously helps.