Friday night / Saturday snowfall trend the last 4 GFS runs. Clear slow trend South but no cave yet to the other models way South in Oregon.

trend-gfs-2024011018-f078.snku_024h-imp.us_nw.gif

• Like 8

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

For Seattle... 7.6 inches on 00Z run... 5.2 inches on 12Z run... and now 3.1 inches on 18Z run.

Its not collapsing.   Its slowly caving.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

At least we can rely on HAARP to make some snow since big government will give us some…IMG_8004.thumb.png.da8a9b8e3bff3aaccc6e68004fdf5b47.png

Time to charge your phone Double R Ray! 

• lol 1
  • Storm 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

For Seattle... 7.6 inches on 00Z run... 5.2 inches on 12Z run... and now 3.1 inches on 18Z run.

I expect most models to either cave to the Euro or the Euro to slightly shift north. The shift of some models this suite was interesting-- that being said I still think the sweet spot for the weekend is the central valley.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

I expect most models to either cave to the Euro or the Euro to slightly shift north. The shift of some models this suite was interesting-- that being said I still think the sweet spot for the weekend is the central valley.

Seems like the best bet right now.   The time for big jumps is over.   Now its small adjustments to meet in the middle.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yup. What a difference between yesterday 18z and today 18z. Joke of a model tbh. Two years in a row this happened on the GFS. What ever "upgrade" they did made it a lot worse

11020245.png

11020244.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Yup. What a difference between yesterday 18z and today 18z. Joke of a model tbh. Two years in a row this happened on the GFS. What ever "upgrade" they did made it a lot worse

11020245.png

11020244.png

I would be thrilled with a 2.8” accumulation at this stage! 😂 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's Even More Over.jpg

1.png

• Like 2
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 minute ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

Gotta hand it to you Seattle folks, there is no quit in you despite overwhelming evidence you are going to get skunked.

Our turn will come soon enough with a raging SSW. But honestly I wasn't expecting much this year and was happy with looking forward to next year. 

• Like 1

195572.png?1673757432

Ow... by any indication this'll be further south next run 

zr_acc-imp.us_nw.png

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

Gotta hand it to you Seattle folks, there is no quit in you despite overwhelming evidence you are going to get skunked.

https://youtu.be/E_3C-vsPLII?si=Lmc-2QM86Vhqiuhi

• Excited 1

5 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

I wouldn't say that. Decent chance many of them get something tomorrow evening.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

8 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

11020245.png

11020244.png

One thing to keep in mind when the models show this. Your talking about a once in 50 or 100 year storm here with 20 inches in Seattle with one storm so chances for that to happen was maybe 1%. Even out here a storm bigger than 15 inches at once is very rare.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

17 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Comes ashore around Astoria it appears.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_12.png

Somebody called this exact track like 2-3 days ago when everything was diverging…can’t remember who lol, but kudos if it hits 🍻 

• Like 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

2 minutes ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Somebody called this exact track like 2-3 days ago when everything was diverging…can’t remember who lol, but kudos if it hits 🍻 

That was Snowmizer I think.  A  hundred miles north of there would be nicer.

• Like 2

Just now, RaleighHillsRunner said:

I said between Astoria and Long beach.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

I don’t think the low position is all that important. This is more about the lift/interaction associated with the low level air mass.

I know analogs only go so far as to predictive accuracy, but would you say there are any semi-recent events that this upcoming one could emulate?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Just now, Deweydog said:

I don’t think the low position is all that important. This is more about the lift/interaction associated with the low level air mass.

I can see even with the Astoria land fall the precip might really struggle overcoming this dry and cold air up in the sound area.

Big overrunning event on Wednesday looks to be all rain for western Washington per the GFS.  I have to believe it will start out as snow in many places.  Crazy GFS is usually calling for snow in all marginal cases but not this time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Gfs is about 6-7 mb stronger than gem and euro

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

Big overrunning event on Wednesday looks to be all rain for western Washington per the GFS.  I have to believe it will start out as snow in many places.  Crazy GFS is usually calling for snow in all marginal cases but not this time

Models are always too quick to scour out the cold air. 

3 hours ago, Prairiedog said:

He has flip flopped on this more than a hotdog with too much slippery mustard on it.  I like Rod but he's been all over the place.  I'm sure you've seen his other "updates".  One day he had our coldest day at 35 for a high then in the 40's shortly after that.  I'm glad he's back to a colder solution but holy cow batman.  I'm not faulting him as this has been a challenging forecast but he's been all over the place. 

It’s a hard forecast. Models are all over the place. Both him and Mark have snow/ice for PDX Friday into Saturday. When they’re both onboard it usually happens. Just how much snow and/ice we get remains to be seen. Rod seems to favor the GFS though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Gfs is about 6-7 mb stronger than gem and euro

It’s not irrelevant, but the north side dynamics with the system are going to be more dependent on mid level shenanigans. For instance, this about when frontogenesis was really getting going on 2/6/14. It’s not a perfect analog since that was considerably deeper air mass…

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_201402061800_1256_149.png

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It’s not irrelevant, but the north side dynamics with the system are going to be more dependent on mid level shenanigans. For instance, this about when frontogenesis was really getting going on 2/6/14. It’s not a perfect analog since that was considerably deeper air mass…

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_201402061800_1256_149.png

Here is what happened.

ssm_depth.2014020718.0.800.450._13377.446._12871.1346.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png