February 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just now, snow_wizard said:

We'll see.  There are a lot of things going on right now.  Not sure how anyone can be comfortable writing this month off.

Not writing off entire month.  But follow the EPS after day 7 for sure.   When it starts showing something then you are in business. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This decade has been pretty wild.

Just the June 21 heatwave and this last cold snap alone put up some big numbers.  Even the cold wave last winter delivered a HIGH of 21 here.  21 last winter and 20 this winter.  No easy task.

At 2pm on this day I snapped the pic it was 17 degrees in Port orchard. That 15 was legit, I have a weather station at work right across from the fire station in pic.

20240112_164539.jpg

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

37 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Looks like Spring to me.  but everyone says its 'fake spring' so you know how that goes

I’m not sure if those are cherry blossoms.  Could be ornamental plums.  Hard to tell the difference in the photos.  Victoria is the sunniest place on the BC coast and it’s surrounded by water so generally pretty mild.  The only freezing low temps in the heart of the city came with the arctic blast this winter.  

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

I’m not sure if those are cherry blossoms.  Could be ornamental plums.  Hard to tell the difference in the photos.  Victoria is the sunniest place on the BC coast and it’s surrounded by water so generally pretty mild.  The only freezing low temps in the heart of the city came with the arctic blast this winter. 

The big old Yoshino cherry out in front here is still quite dormant. My vote is for ornamental plums.

It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The big old Yoshino cherry out in front here is still quite dormant. My vote is for ornamental plums.

I found out from you last year that the trees around the outlet mall here are ornamental plums and not cherries.   Those bloom in late February or early March here every year.   Even in 2019 they were blooming by March 10th with remnant snowbanks nearby.    The cherry trees in North Bend seem to bloom almost right in sync with the UW cherry trees.  I am not sure what @MR.SNOWMIZER has but all cherry trees are totally done blooming in April around here.   I have never seen one come remotely close to starting to bloom in mid May.   That sounds like northern Minnesota.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I found out from you last year that the trees around the outlet mall here are ornamental plums and not cherries.   Those bloom in late February or early March here every year.   Even in 2019 they were blooming by March 10th with remnant snowbanks nearby.    The cherry trees in North Bend seem to bloom almost right in sync with the UW cherry trees.  I am not sure what @MR.SNOWMIZER has but all cherry trees are totally done blooming in April around here.   I have never seen one come remotely close to starting to bloom in mid May.   That sounds northern Minnesota.

The ones that bloom in May are usually crab apples. There are varieties that have been bred for their flowers.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I found out from you last year that the trees around the outlet mall here are ornamental plums and not cherries.   Those bloom in late February or early March here every year.   Even in 2019 they were blooming by March 10th with remnant snowbanks nearby.    The cherry trees in North Bend seem to bloom almost right in sync with the UW cherry trees.  I am not sure what @MR.SNOWMIZER has but all cherry trees are totally done blooming in April around here.   I have never seen one come remotely close to starting to bloom in mid May.   That sounds northern Minnesota.

I’ve seen plums as early as January in Victoria. 

The Kwanzan cherry seem pretty popular up here and I’ve seen them into early May    Though I think Shawnigan Lake is colder than snowmizer’s location.  Our averages are 44/32 currently.

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

sometimes in May here, plums are usually in may.  I expect them earlier this year though

Amazingly the GFS shows the same ridiculous NAO block the EPS control had.  Interesting potential coming up.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was at the Seattle Center today and noticed several varieties of trees and shrubs blooming. Ones with yellow blooms. Those cherry varieties that have darker pink blossoms (not sure what they are) are always super early. Definitely an early year but I think both 2015 and 2016 were probably earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I have no idea but some of the reason it blooms late is the shady spot it is in. I believe that makes a huge difference. 

7 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I have no idea but some of the reason it blooms late is the shady spot it is in. I believe that makes a huge difference. 

Probably a crabapple.  

Prairifire_Crabapple_tree_2_FGT.jpg

• Like 1

How long would it take after the start of the SSW, until we would have a shot at some cold or snow? My guess is 9-14 days but I honestly do not know.

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

20 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

How long would it take after the start of the SSW, until we would have a shot at some cold or snow? My guess is 9-14 days but I honestly do not know.

Who knows.  Sometimes the pattern that triggers the SSW is essentially the same pattern that is responsible for delivering the cold air.  Lots of uncertainty if we even see one.  Models show the PV taking some hits but it never gets taken out.  Still alive and well at the end of the GFS. 

IMG_8118.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think Sapporo is the only major city that experiences snowfalls like that on anything approaching a routine basis. No US or Canadian major city does.

Does Sapporo get those crazy totals in such a short amount of Time?   Perhaps Buffalo NY could pull it off in extreme lake effect events. 

• Snow 1

10 hours ago, Randyc321 said:

You guys that are bagging on our climate need to reread this.  We have some of the best weather in the country.  Also in a great place for future global warming.   Many places are already almost non-livable.

If you are honestly hating on the climate where you live, you need to move.  Life is pretty short and to dislike where you live makes it pretty shltty.  I loved growing up ion SoCal.  Great waves, punk rock clubs, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, and SOO many tourist girls.  I wouldn't change it for the world, but after I quit surfing it lost something.  Then it got more overcrowded, and hotter.  I bailed.  I love it here.  Been here since 2005 and won't ever move.  The farthest I would go would be the coast.

You cannot be happy if you don't like where you live. 

But, I think a couple of you are just basically unhappy people and that wouldn't change even if you moved.

a1.jpg

I also grew up in SoCal, and while I love the beaches and everything that is there. I am happier here. I love having weather, seasons, long and short days. Yes every once in a while I miss having consistent weather to grow food or to just go for a walk without feeling like I took a cold shower with clothing on, but I wouldn't go back.

• Like 3

Imagine... 🙌

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

My brother in law stopped by this afternoon. He was telling me about the Japanese side of the family. I guess my wife’s grandmother had 3 kids in Japan before coming to the US and having 6 more with my wife’s  grandfather. Two of the kids in Japan died in infancy during an extreme winter weather event apparently, this would have been during or immediately after WWII. Not quite sure where they lived at the time, but I know it was northern Japan. The surviving brother is still alive living in Japan and the six American have siblings have never met him, though his kids came to the US a few years ago for a reunion. Interesting stuff with a weather related component. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Pinpoint Forecast for Mount Ritter CA, it had the highest numbers I could find. I think we all need to go there if we want snow.

Screenshot_20240203-200248_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0421756a969d621463efe98f41927343.jpg

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

14 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Maybe if a strong convergence zone forms.

C650731E-6058-4F11-A253-EB4430DF3489.png

Needs to trend ⬆️

• Sick 3
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

11 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I always find it funny that the people who root for San Diego weather year round here make fun of frost for being so boring 😎 

Spot on,  they probably plant palm trees as well. If I was a millionaire I would drive around and pay people to remove those trees from the landscape.  They're a beautiful tree in the setting they belong but they look terrible against our landscape imo.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Needs to trend ⬆️

Needs to trend south, stronger, and to stall for longer than forecast, that would make us Oregonians VERY happy!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sad 1