March 2024 Weather in the PNW

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

If I were him I would retire and live in the perfect climate.

It's complicated.  Now is not the time to retire, business is booming and growing again, parents own the land my business is on which is also there retirement from the lease payment I pay them for land and building.  When the time is right. When I find another house I will probjust work 2 days a week and run shop from home as far as estimates and parts ordering goes.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's complicated.  Now is not the time to retire, business is booming and growing again, parents own the land my business is on which is also there retirement from the lease payment I pay them for land and building.  When the time is right. When I find another house I will probjust work 2 days a week and run shop from home as far as estimates and parts ordering goes.

You only live once.  Don't be like me and regret not living where you really want to.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Sell. Retire. Buy again the next bear market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

You only live once.  Don't be like me and regret not living where you really want to.

I already am like you. I regret that I didn't move years ago. Here I am 51 years old I hate this climate even more. 

• Sad 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Ended up with a chilly 44/36 day to kick off March, and meteorological spring. The low so far today was set in the late morning as a decent slug of precip moved through, with lots of wet snow mixed in. A couple sunbreaks later on popped the temp into the mid -40s.

Currently mostly cloudy with some spots of rain, and 38. Light east winds. Flow has turned offshore for the time being, ahead of the low moving in overnight. Too bad the low/mid levels aren’t just a bit colder, would be a decent snow setup down to low elevations tonight.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Let's hope this Monday morning thing keeps getting built upon.  Looks like the best shot for King County snow.  Could be something tomorrow morning too the way things are trending.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I already am like you. I regret that I didn't move years ago. Here I am 51 years old I hate this climate even more. 

And you will continue to hate it even more.  Thankfully the good times do come every once in a while.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Jesus how the heck can you even make a forecast for Monday.  Every model and run is different.  I swear these models have got worse last few years

I'm just looking for the best shots we have.  The Monday morning thing seems to be getting some consensus.  

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, DeepFriedEgg said:

I got the joke bro. I was just making a related comment.

I think Tiger is already down enough about where he lives.  I kind of know how he feels.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I think Tiger is already down enough about where he lives.  I kind of know how he feels.

You guys are definitely in a very  tight race to the bottom in terms of glass half empty takes on our winter climo.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

13 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Lol I think Redding has more snow than tiger since 2021 😂

Sounds like that’s the spot for winter weather weenies now. Both Jim and Jesse have been advising people lately to move for better weather…

• lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Probably last year.

I just looked at the data and Redding actually had 7" of snow in Feb/Mar last year (5" and 2") which I didn't realize! I'm still amazed at how well that late February trough worked out for Portland and also the coast and California.

• Like 3

More Seattle stats from 1894 to 1947 (Seattle):

TLDR: 

*Measurable snow on 50 (of 1643) days in March and 10 (of 1590) days in April. 

* Highest single day total in March for this period: March 11, 1903: 5.2"

*Highest single day total in April for this period: April 14, 1924: 1.5"

*Latest snow recorded in Seattle history April 19, 1927: 0.2"

1894: March 1: 0.5" and March 2: 0.6" and March 16: 0.5" and March 17: 0.1" and March 18: 0.7" 

1895: March 12: 2" and April 4: 1"

1896: March 6: 1.2"

1897: March 9: 0.1" and March 11: 1.5" and March 13: 2" and March 21: 0.8"

1898: March 7: 0.7" and March 24: 0.6" and March 25: 2.9"

1899: March 12: 0.5" and March 13: 0.5" and March 21: 0.4" and March 22: 0.5"

1900: April 7: 0.6"

1902: March 14: 0.2" and April 8: 0.5"

1903: March 8: 2" and March 11: 5.2" and March 12: 1" and March 14: 0.4"

1904: March 1: 0.7" and March 2: 0.6" and March 12: 0.8" and March 14: 4" and March 21: 0.1" and March 23: 2.1" and March 25: 0.1"

1913: March 12: 0.1" and March 19: 3" and March 24: 0.1"

1916: March 1: 0.4" and March 2: 0.7" and March 5: 0.1"

1917: March 25: 0.6" and March 29: 0.2: and March 30: 0.1" and March 31: 0.1"

1920: April 1: 1.4" and April 2: 0.5" and April 3: 0.5"

1921: March 14: 0.4" and April 3: 0.5"

1923: March 2: 0.5" and March 13: 0.2"

1924: April 14: 1.5"

1927: April 19: 0.2"

1932: March 2: 1.8"

1935: March 25: 0.2"

1936: March 27: 1.1" and April 1: 0.9"

1939: March 4: 0.2" 

1944: March 12: 0.2"

1946: March 26: 2.0" and March 27: 1.0" 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

its their own D**n fault for driving through an area expected to get multiple feet. Like, there was no surprise to this. idiots. 

You would be amazed at the number of people who don't ever check the weather than isn't showing up on their phone. And if they're traveling, that phone forecast may or may not update on a time frame they look at. Talked to my sister about her in-laws making a huge road trip around the holidays crossing multiple mountain passes. They didn't even look at the weather on their route to plan which days they may want to avoid the mountains. And they're elderly and should NOT be driving in adverse weather conditions. It's crazy.

48 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Who knows how how that coin will go. It cycles between 60k and 30k the last few years.  That coin has a much larger short term return than the stock market.

If I were you I would liquidate those Bitcoin while they are worth $millions.

Yes, Uncle Sam will zing you with income tax but (a) you still get to keep most of it (top marginal tax rate is 37%), and (b) stick it somewhere safe and boring and you can retire now and live off the interest. 3% interest on 1.7 million is still over $50K/year.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

37 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

that's the one thing I've managed to do in life. lived in 7 states across the country in all 4 time zones.  Only regret I have at this point is not living somewhere Internationally yet.  There's still time though, will be 50 next Jan.

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Yes, Uncle Sam will zing you with income tax but (a) you still get to keep most of it (top marginal tax rate is 37%), and (b) stick it somewhere safe and boring and you can retire now and live off the interest. 3% interest on 1.7 million is still over $50K/year.

yep and when he retires, if he's at 62 he can get SSI on top of it, full amount SSI if he waits until 67 to 'retire' but I'd ahead and do it now and live off the interest of the loot until he officially 'retires'

38 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's a gamble to make a move somewhere that you really want to live. It was for us when we moved here almost 11 years ago. My wife is a RN with a lot of experience so it was easier for her to get a job, though we knew it would pay less than in Bellingham.  And my job was in a unique company, so I would have to find something completely different.  Took awhile, but we're glad we did.

But waiting is also a gamble.  Especially as we get older, if we wait too long, we may not be able to really enjoy where we end up at.  Or the economy could completely tank and moving becomes harder.  Lots of things could go wrong and you end up wishing you had done it sooner 

• Like 4

https://truckeetahoeairport.com/webcam

This is one of my favorite cams.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

45 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Theres not much point in waiting. Move when you still can.

What's your ideal climate? How does snowy and cold with lots of sun for winter, sunny spring with occasional warm days and some rainy/snowy days here and there, sunny summers with temps in the upper mid 80s lows in the 40s and a handful of thunderstorms/cloudy days, and a sunny cold/warm fall with occasional rain, but sadly a lot of smokey days in summer sound to you? If that sounds great, you should move out here! 

• Like 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

8 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Could you imagine dragging your family across the most rugged unknown part of the country for months in a wagon only to make it to the final mountain pass and get stuck in one of these storms. You’d have to be thinking wtf is this bull sh1t we must have been heading north the whole time or  something 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 1

10 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Could you imagine dragging your family across the most rugged unknown part of the country for months in a wagon only to make it to the final mountain pass and get stuck in one of these storms. You’d have to be thinking wtf is this bull sh1t we must have been heading north the whole time or  something 

Just turn on the heated reins, make sure the horses are in 4 hoof drive, chain up the wagon wheels, and go for it! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

47 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

If he holds onto them for a little longer he’ll probably have millions more.