March 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Really interesting situation tonight.  A number of runs have shown snow for the area between Seattle and Olympia.  The problem is none agree where the sweet spot will be.  The airmass is colder than yesterday so that's very helpful.  Another huge help is the south wind will be dying out soon in places that it hasn't already.  Also some possible atypical convergence on the table.

Souths winds have been gusty down here this entire event. One reason snow has had a lot of trouble sticking in much of a meaningful way below 1,000’

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Snowlova said:

As I typed this post snow pellets started immediately wow

In Bellevue you have to be at least 20 feet or so.  Not sea level. 😀

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Up to about 4" of fresh snow since I cleared the snowstick at noon, we were supposed to have about .1" so far! Surprise snow is the best snow!

mylivecamerafeed (4).jpg

• Like 3

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Souths winds have been gusty down here this entire event. One reason snow has had a lot of trouble sticking in much of a meaningful way below 1,000’

Last night I had a pretty heavy mix coming down at 34 degrees.  I've seen it snow and stick at that temp if no south wind was blowing like it was.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

45 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

200w.gif

Where did I say anything like that? There is a middle ground between alarmism and denial. Tough for some people to grasp, though.

It was disingenuous for convergencezone to act like the winter MN just saw is somehow becoming the new Midwest normal with climate change - when obviously the biggest reason they blowtorched was the same reason they did in almost every other strong Nino.

Totally agree.  They could well be super cold next winter.

• Thanks 1
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Very happy to see the 18z sticking with the short lived ridge solution. Let’s keep building on that and see where it goes…

Yep, this is not the time to cheer for warm weather just for personal gratification or just so you can sit outside with shorts on. I'm wishing for cool trough weather so we can keep up the mountain snowpack. Nothing more.  Getting a warm ridge could kill a bunch of that snow the mountains just got, its to early to start the melt. There will be plenty of time for warm weather in late spring and summer where and when it belongs. I love warm sunny weather, i have cars that can only be driven in nice weather so i would never wish for cold and stormy all year but i would really like it in the season it does best in.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Pretty nuts that bowerman field in hoqiuam is 33 and snow currently. The mid afternoon snows out on the coast today have been impressive. Gives me a little hope here if we can get some meaningful precipitation. 

If we can get a good band in the area snow should be a good bet but it is hard to look at radar and see what will happen. The trough is moving east right over us, you can see the rotation.

• Like 1

41F with some light rain.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

8 hours left... ECMWF shows entire precip area sliding off to the southeast by around midnight or 1 a.m.   

Yup.  We'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds on the radar and in our back yards.  The GEM, ECMWF and a couple of other models have shown some interesting possibilities for the Central /South Puget Sound.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Already down to 35 after a high of 44.

Still some snow at home! Wasn’t sure if it would make it through the heat of the day but some of it did! 

IMG_3284.jpeg

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Yep, this is not the time to cheer for warm weather just for personal gratification or just so you can sit outside with shorts on. I'm wishing for cool trough weather so we can keep up the mountain snowpack. Nothing more.  Getting a warm ridge could kill a bunch of that snow the mountains just got, its to early to start the melt. There will be plenty of time for warm weather in late spring and summer where and when it belongs. I love warm sunny weather, i have cars that can only be driven in nice weather so i would never wish for cold and stormy all year but i would really like it in the season it does best in.

Nature's gonna do what nature's gonna do.   Doesn't matter who enjoys what.   Don't play the forced moral outrage game that he plays every day of his life.   Its so truly pointless.   

• Popcorn 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yup.  We'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds on the radar and in our back yards.  The GEM, ECMWF and a couple of other models have shown some interesting possibilities for the Central /South Puget Sound.

ECMWF doesn't show much getting up here... but southwest King County looks much more favorable.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some decent looking showers moving up toward the area now.  There is supposed to be some convergence developing later so that's the big wild card.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Some decent looking showers moving up toward the area now.  There is supposed to be some convergence developing later so that's the big wild card.

I think its deformation on the north side of the trough and not convergence.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF doesn't show much getting up here... but southwest King County looks much more favorable.  

It will be interesting to see exactly how it pans out.  I had more precip than modelled last night, but it fell as a very sloppy mix.  The air mass has a bit more of a snap to it today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I think its deformation on the north side of the trough and not convergence.  

If you look at the wind maps they show some crazy convergence in SW King County or so.  Very weak, but it's there.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It will be interesting to see exactly how it pans out.  I had more precip than modelled last night, but it fell as a very sloppy mix.  The air mass has a bit more of a snap to it today.

I think things will start moving more to the NW in our area as the evening goes on and the trough rotates through SW WA.  

9 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Looks like you might just be far enough west. Theres more bands developing down south that look promising hopefully they can get up this way without falling apart. 

Gonna miss me to the west. I hadn’t been paying much attention today and happened to look out the window and… woah. 

IMG_9111.jpeg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Nature's gonna do what nature's gonna do.   Doesn't matter who enjoys what.   Don't play the forced moral outrage game that he plays every day of his life.   Its so truly pointless.   

Game? i have no idea what you are talking about, This has been how i have always felt. Nothing more nothing less.  Jeez.

• Thanks 1

Radar looks pretty good south of the Sound. Maybe we'll squeeze out a W during the last opportunity.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Radar looks pretty good south of the Sound. Maybe we'll squeeze out a W during the last opportunity.

Definitely coming together as a band solid precip.   ECMWF shows it holding together all the way up to Seattle over next couple of hours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Getting kind of dark outside

Here as well!! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Definitely coming together as a band solid precip.   ECMWF shows it holding together all the way up to Seattle over next couple of hours. 

Unless it stalls and keeps strength I doubt anyone in Seattle below the high points of KSEA and the watertower are gonna get anything measurable. Maybe we SCORE a mix though!

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Absolutely demonic snowfall rates happening just south of me.   I’d be more annoyed if it was still winter.  
 Heard reports the cells over southern Vancouver island dropped up to 1” of hail in parts of Langford earlier   That band turned to Snow as it lifted north  

IMG_8249.jpeg

• Excited 1