March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Found a climate even more consistent than da lat. London! (In kiribati, not the UK)

Screenshot_20240311-191212_Chrome.thumb.jpg.43cbcd548e1c5aa6090874b35533a31a.jpg

• Sun 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

1 minute ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Found a climate even more consistent than da lat. London! (In kiribati, not the UK)

Screenshot_20240311-191212_Chrome.thumb.jpg.43cbcd548e1c5aa6090874b35533a31a.jpg

April offers all kinds of variety there!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

16 minutes ago, Mercurial said:

I have never even heard of Whitetail lol.  Whitefish, however, is packed to the gills with Canadian-owned second homes.  Mostly from Calgary.  We are Baja Alberta.    

The internet says the population of Whitetail is 9.  😂. They have 120 acres that they lease to a large farm next door. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That’s super sad to hear. The trees are being cleared because of tourism? Seems like that would give incentive to preserve the natural environment more too.

I don’t want to get too political in this but a lot of it is because of political reasons. Outside of the main capitals per provinces, the country is technically still a 3rd world country and is a communist nation. Many of these resorts and attractions are funded by China and Russia oligarchs, while employing poor  Vietnamese citizens. These oligarchs then take in the money from tourism. You’ll be shock at how many Chinese and Russian directions you see at these resorts and attractions. They don’t care about preserving the environment when the country isn’t theirs. Of course, the Vietnamese communism goes along with this because they also get their shares with business booming. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

I don’t want to get too political in this but a lot of it is because of political reasons. Outside of the main capitals per provinces, the country is technically still a 3rd world country and is a communist nation. Many of these resorts and attractions are funded by China and Russia oligarchs, while employing Vietnamese citizens. These oligarchs then take in the money from tourism. You’ll be shock at how many Chinese and Russian directions you see at these resorts and attractions. They don’t care about preserving the environment when the country isn’t theirs. Of course, the Vietnamese communism goes along with this because they also get their shares with business booming. 

Fascinating dynamic. But also quite sad. It always amazes me how much is going on in the rest of the world that we’re totally unaware of in our American bubble.

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Guessing this is not about personal preferences... but the downvoting of every single post from anyone mentioning enjoying nice weather.    People end up cheering against the downvoter.   :(

You have more issues than everyone on here, have a good night everyone!!

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 4

4 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Hoping to see that come down a few notches further. Three days in the 70s peaking at 73-74 on Saturday would be perfect.

KGW’s forecast is the same on Saturday but they’re 3 degrees warmer on Sunday. Either way it’s gonna be great weather and a taste of summer.

IMG_3086.jpeg.84e7700944bd079fa255c2489563b755.jpeg

1 minute ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

KGW’s forecast is the same on Saturday but they’re 3 degrees warmer on Sunday. Either way it’s gonna be great weather and a taste of summer.

IMG_3086.jpeg.84e7700944bd079fa255c2489563b755.jpeg

Let’s hope. Those temps would be heavenly in July and August.

• Facepalm 1

Amazing weather forecast! Have picked up about ½" snow today, nothing special. Season total is up to 83", after this AMAZING warm stretch coming up, the next pattern will pobably drop enough snow to bring the total close to 100"

Screenshot_20240311-201511_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

45 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

There’s a pretty funny book called The Sex Lives of Cannibals that is set in Kiribati albeit on a different island. If you like Bill Bryson’s books you’ll probably like it.

Also, IIRC whether that rainy season occurs at all in a given year depends heavily on ENSO.

• scream 2

12 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

You have more issues than everyone on here, have a good night everyone!!

You would be all over me even more than you already are if I was downvoting 400 times a day.   😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I don't let emojis control my emotions..................... think about that.

I don't either... think about that.   I sort of enjoy it.   But lots of people mention it.  

55 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Talk about hell on Earth.  Yikes!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Talk about hell on Earth.  Yikes!

Or true paradise to some.  It's on the equator in the Pacific.   And imagine the entire planet with that climate... that is kind of what it was like during the PETM when there were crocodiles and palm trees in the arctic.   It was the climate optimum for life.   Probably why we are here today discussing this.  😀

• Like 2

Incredibly the 18z ECMWF AI caved to the GFS.  Pretty D**n crazy!

Looks like we have a shot at seeing some  chilly continental air later in the month.  Not easy to pull off here this late in the season.  Might be an interesting average low this month for some places.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like we have a shot at seeing some  chilly continental air later in the month.  Not easy to pull off here this late in the season.  Might be an interesting average low this month for some places.

The AI version of the ECMWF flips around more than I was expecting.   But all the models seem to show northerly flow after the short warm spell.

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That would be Dallol, Ethiopia.

IMG_0939.jpeg

Good Lord.   That is the worst climate I have ever seen in those Wikipedia charts.   No rain ever and near or above 100 degrees every day all year long.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

An 18z euro model that goes out to hour 360 awesome 

• Excited 3

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

IMG_0939.jpeg

IIRC, this data comes from a 1960-66 POR or something like that. Most likely it is even hotter now.

This place is actually a tourist attraction in Ethiopia.

Travel Monday: A Photo Trip to Ethiopia's Danakil Depression - The Atlantic

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Does it flip more or less than the GFS

After about day 8 or 9 it's about as volatile.   

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Or true paradise to some.  It's on the equator in the Pacific.   And imagine the entire planet with that climate... that is kind of what it was like during the PETM when there were crocodiles and palm trees in the arctic.   It was the climate optimum for life.   Probably why we are here today discussing this.  😀

Exactly, humans evolved right near the equator where the weather was consistent along with the sunrise and sunset. This was optimal for human life and allowed our race to flourish. 

“Modern humans are believed to have originated just north of the equator in Africa, a region with a nearly constant 12-hour day and night. As modern humans migrated out of Africa and into a range of latitudes, they encountered seasonal variation in the length of daylight.”

https://www.genome.gov/27559632/humans-adapted-to-life-at-different-latitudes-by-tuning-their-circadian-clocks

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

IMG_0939.jpeg

5 straight months averaging over 109 degrees and two months with lows over 101 is diabolical. Especially since I'm sure AC is very rare there. Can't even imagine living in that.

• Sun 1
  • Sick 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just now, Omegaraptor said:

IIRC, this data comes from a 1960-66 POR or something like that. Most likely it is even hotter now.

This place is actually a tourist attraction in Ethiopia.

Travel Monday: A Photo Trip to Ethiopia's Danakil Depression - The Atlantic

It's completely uninhabited now.   Not sure if hot springs add to extreme air temperature.

2 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Exactly, humans evolved right near the equator where the weather was consistent along with the sunrise and sunset. This was optimal for human life and allowed our race to flourish. 

“Modern humans are believed to have originated just north of the equator in Africa, a region with a nearly constant 12-hour day and night. As modern humans migrated out of Africa and into a range of latitudes, they encountered seasonal variation in the length of daylight.”

https://www.genome.gov/27559632/humans-adapted-to-life-at-different-latitudes-by-tuning-their-circadian-clocks

Yet most of the great civilizations of the world later evolved in more temperate latitudes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Good Lord.   That is the worst climate I have ever seen in those Wikipedia charts.   No rain ever and near or above 100 degrees every day all year long.   

Phoenix without a monsoon season.

• Sun 1

3 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

5 straight months averaging over 109 degrees is diabolical. Especially since I'm sure AC is very rare there.

I think it’s essentially a ghost town at this point. But yeah, some of those hot climates around the Red Sea and Persian Gulf are absolutely crazy.

6 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

PETM was also a much wetter global climate. 

Screenshot_20240311-210144_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

On the other end...

vostokstation.thumb.png.e3efef7f1f8e405158fc6840e09e95ad.png

• lol 1
  • Sun 1
  • Snow 1
  • Shivering 2