March 2024 Weather in the PNW

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I had a feeling we might see some gross trends for next week at some point. The setup driving the supposed retrogression looks pretty tenuous. Let’s hope the ensembles and Euro are better.

Gross.   🙄

Trying to keep silly hyperbole words out of the analysis.    Everyone has different opinions.   It is what it is.  

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Without the extreme blocking the pattern becomes seasonally variable on the GFS.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1710331200-1710720000-1711368000-10.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GEFS trending towards a more consolidated ridge by the middle of next week over the last few runs as well.  

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-1710331200-1710892800-1710892800-10.gif

• Like 4

Some sun breaking through here now... only 43 in North Bend.    Probably won't rain again until next Wednesday at the earliest.    

• Like 1

ECMWF runs have become very chaotic since the upgrade and time change.   It used to come out frame by frame from 9:50 through 10:55 with no exception.   Now it doesn't start on time and then comes out in massive chunks with some regional maps updating and other maps not updating.   It does seem to finish by 11 a.m. and p.m. though.   

• Popcorn 1

Its 10:20 now and the ECMWF is barely starting on WB with the precip map out to hour 2 so far.   Normally it would be out to 120 hours at this point.  

56 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Without the extreme blocking the pattern becomes seasonally variable on the GFS.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1710331200-1710720000-1711368000-10.gif

Time for the plow to come off! Reminds me, I need new blades for the mower deck. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

ECMWF just updated through 216 hours.    It keeps the ridging in place through Tuesday and then breaks down the ridge much quicker than the GFS or GEM with a lobe of the vortex over Canada swinging through similar to its 00Z run.    Dry through Wednesday with highs around 60 in Seattle that day and then some showers on Thursday and clearing on Friday and looks like highs in the low 50s.  Different 500mb pattern but not all that different in terms of weather compared to the GFS and GEM.   Pretty tame transition back to seasonal weather.  

• Like 1

ECMWF is much stronger with the ridge over the north Pacific later in the run compared to the other models.   But did shift east quite a bit with the really cold air by day 10.   

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1710331200-1710849600-1711195200-10.gif

• Popcorn 1

12Z ECMWF quite dry but by day 10 shows a large plume of moisture overriding the ridge over the Pacific into BC.   This could evolve into a wet pattern eventually.   

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-qpf_anom_10day-1195200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-toa_brightness-1195200 (1).png

• Rain 1

Just now, Cloud said:

Hi, 

Anyone excited for spring-like weather this weekend? 🙌

I know I am!

• Like 2
  • Excited 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

The next precip in Seattle per the 12Z ECMWF is next Thursday afternoon... so that would be an 8 day dry spell.    

• Sun 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Gross.   🙄

Trying to keep silly hyperbole words out of the analysis.    Everyone has different opinions.   It is what it is.  

why can't his own personal opinion be hyperbolic?  Hyperbole is extremely common around here.

As you said, everyone has different opinions, including hyperbolic ones.  We are way past the point where this thread only contains unbiased observations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got to do a PHP and MySQL upgrade in the coming days. Forum might be up and down for a bit this weekend.

One of these days I'll containerize the place and put it on top of postgres, and these instance downtimes will be a thing of the past, but I dont make enough money to do that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Gross.   🙄

You can just block him. Should make your viewing experience better.

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

I've got to do a PHP and MySQL upgrade in the coming days. Forum might be up and down for a bit this weekend.

One of these days I'll containerize the place and put it on top of postgres, and these instance downtimes will be a thing of the past, but I dont make enough money to do that.

Have you thought about doing a member owned kind of setup?

• Snow 1
  • Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

why can't his own personal opinion be hyperbolic?  Hyperbole is extremely common around here.

As you said, everyone has different opinions, including hyperbolic ones.  We are way past the point where this thread only contains unbiased observations.

Fair enough.  Every time I inject excited hyperbole for something I like it ends up causing huge backlash from a couple of people so I just try to avoid it since its not worth the hassle.    I am sort of just skipping past the ridging now and focusing on the break down because everyone already knows I will enjoy this weekend.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iFred said:

You can just block him. Should make your viewing experience better.

That would be silly.   

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Have you thought about doing a member owned kind of setup?

Agreed... I would contribute.  

48F and mostly cloudy. Lot of college basketball right now so I'll be checking in sporadically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

48F and mostly cloudy. Lot of college basketball right now so I'll be checking in sporadically.

Go Cougs!  

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I was gonna let you know… apparently there’s some kind of tournament this month.

• Like 2
  • Excited 2
  • Downvote 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Nah. I was involved with two different forums that required some kind of donation drive or squabbling over things like adverts and memberships. The bills average ~150 a month and I can cover it without any issue, so that can rule out a lot of drama. The real reason why some of the upgrades have dragged on or why @hawkstwelve doesn't have SSH access yet is that my time seems to be feast or famine, especially with a kid, a job at FAANG Co, and a side project/startup/fever dream.

I still have a kanban board with the following:
- recovering deleted posts from the April 2023 forum hack
- merging westernwx.info forum
- cleaning up storage (unlimited storage is the largest driver of costs, thats why I don't like it when Phil uploads a 40 minutes 8k iPhone video of flurries)
- setting up YVR/SEA/PDX High Res WRF and local Graphcast
- write a "Looking back on 10 years" post

I'll get to this sooner or later.

That all sounds great as far as eventual goals. But I wouldn’t feel too rushed with them, the lack of free time is understandable. It’s just appreciated that you keep this place running period.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

EPS is still showing troughing across almost all of the country in the long range.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1476000.png

• Shivering 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

EPS is still showing troughing across almost all of the country in the long range.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1476000.png

I can already see the flurry of self proclaimed professional storm chasers readying their drones and twitter quips on why it was ok for them to do 90 in a 35.

• Like 3
  • Excited 3
  • lol 2

16 minutes ago, iFred said:

Nah. I was involved with two different forums that required some kind of donation drive or squabbling over things like adverts and memberships. The bills average ~150 a month and I can cover it without any issue, so that can rule out a lot of drama. The real reason why some of the upgrades have dragged on or why @hawkstwelve doesn't have SSH access yet is that my time seems to be feast or famine, especially with a kid, a job at FAANG Co, and a side project/startup/fever dream.

I still have a kanban board with the following:
- recovering deleted posts from the April 2023 forum hack
- merging westernwx.info forum
- cleaning up storage (unlimited storage is the largest driver of costs, thats why I don't like it when Phil uploads a 40 minutes 8k iPhone video of flurries)
- setting up YVR/SEA/PDX High Res WRF and local Graphcast
- write a "Looking back on 10 years" post

I'll get to this sooner or later.

I respect this, I've felt the same about not wanting to deal with revenue streams from side projects. Then it becomes a "side hustle" which makes it feel too much like work to me, with obligations and deadlines and stuff. 

It's awesome what you have accomplished...I have bits and pieces of code written for various climatological analyses that I have done but have never gotten around to turning it into something organized that can run in the background. 

• Like 2

This is a legit multistep final warming. Just wish it could’ve happened a month earlier.

PV started off strong in Nov/Dec but it became increasingly disheveled under +WAFz. Interesting evolution.

IMG_0600.jpeg

• Like 3