April 2024 Weather in the PNW

yeah turning on irrigation about a month early this year this coming weekend.  new sod is already mostly green (this is a species that browns in winter).  supposed to cool down and be rainy the next 3-4 days though

Up to 73 in North Bend now... much warmer than I was expecting this afternoon.    I thought it would start crashing before the peak of daytime heating.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

yeah turning on irrigation about a month early this year this coming weekend.  new sod is already mostly green (this is a species that browns in winter).  supposed to cool down and be rainy the next 3-4 days though

We have to re-sod our lawn this year.   Probably going to wait until early May though since I am still on crutches and don't want to deal with watering yet.   Really should have irrigation system installed but that is pretty expensive. 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We have to re-sod our lawn this year.   Probably going to wait until early May though since I am still on crutches and don't want to deal with watering yet.   Really should have irrigation system installed but that is pretty expensive. 

I decided not to water the backyard at all last summer and large patches just died. My daughters dog being here September through December didn’t help. Probably just needs to be resodded but it’s a huge space and im not paying for a sprinkler system. Hoping a wet spring might revive it a little at least. 

• Like 2

There are pictures of houses laying on their sides coming out of Ashland/Boyd County, which is where @Timmy Supercell lives.

Hope he’s alright, last time he posted was right before it hit.

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

12z EPS shows another major ridge after about 5-6 days of moderate troughing, with no real end in sight to the warmth or dryness in the long range right now. Pretty disappointing to see.

IMG_1836.png

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

12z EPS shows another major ridge after about 5-6 days of moderate troughing, with no real end in sight to the warmth or dryness in the long range right now. Pretty disappointing to see.

IMG_1836.png

It’ll last a week or so.

Considering the vast majority of post-niño springs are warm in the PNW, I wouldn’t be complaining. Things could’ve been so much worse.

• scream 1

El Niño forcing is still healthy (augmented by MJO & ERW for the last several weeks). The fact the region hasn’t torched this spring is pure luck, brought about via fluky timing of higher frequency/subseasonal elements.

What happened in January was similarly lucky. Can’t expect that to hold out forever.

• Popcorn 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

No wonder Timmy’s been knocked off the grid.

Also lmao :lol: 

Wow, I’m glad her behind absorbed the fall and not her head. Her backpack likely absorbed some of the impact as well. If nobody told me where this video was from I would have guessed it was a major land falling hurricane! 😱 

• Windy 1

Just yesterday we had @Front Ranger saying the EPS was basically cold for the entire run.   I was saying I could see signs of another ridge on the 500mb mean maps for the few days now.    Its pretty obvious when its coming into view.  

6 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

PDX up to 73 as well now. Troutdale up to 75. Pasco leading the way up to 80.

IMG_3182.jpeg.a9f95ee6f4878a50b407c14efb3efbdb.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg.f3bbc4655bec0057d36f195204f654f5.jpeg

Definitely getting a pre-frontal bump up here... its much cooler near the water.  

On days like this you can notice changes in the leaf out progression just during the course of the day. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Wow, I’m glad her behind absorbed the fall and not her head. Her backpack likely absorbed some of the impact as well. If nobody told me where this video was from I would have guessed it was a major land falling hurricane! 😱 

Looks like she’s in one piece. 😂 🌪️ 

IMG_1151.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excited 2
  • bongocat-test 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Going to be a full on summer look by the end of next week if the next warm spell verifies.  

Will be interesting to make some comparison pics between mid-April last year and mid-April this year.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just yesterday we had @Front Ranger saying the EPS was basically cold for the entire run.   I was saying I could see signs of another ridge on the 500mb mean maps for the few days now.    It’s pretty obvious when it’s coming into view.  

It’s more the EPS clusters came into agreement w/rt how they handle the MJO coming out of the IPWP. At least half bifurcated it into 2 separate CCKWs east of the dateline, which was suspicious given the augmented MC following the dynamic final warming.

But the ridge in question could still easily end up centered offshore or inland depending on other factors manipulating the wavetrain. Multiple failure modes are present in any attempt at a +TNH pattern going forward, so it wouldn’t shock me at all if the ridge ends up lasting only a couple days before folding over.

• scream 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’s more the EPS clusters came into agreement w/rt how they handle the MJO coming out of the IPWP. At least half bifurcated it into 2 separate CCKWs east of the dateline, which was suspicious given the augmented MC following the dynamic final warming.

But the ridge in question could still easily end up centered offshore or inland depending on other factors manipulating the wavetrain. Multiple failure modes are present in any attempt at a +TNH pattern going forward, so it wouldn’t shock me at all if the ridge ends up lasting only a couple days before folding over.

Ridging never last long.   Then it's onto looking for the next one!

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’ll last a week or so.

Considering the vast majority of post-niño springs are warm in the PNW, I wouldn’t be complaining. Things could’ve been so much worse.

Not a lot of complaining here lately. And of course this is a little ironic coming from the guy who’s been complaining nonstop about phantom heat that hasn’t even happened yet 🤣

• Popcorn 1

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The general ridging the last six weeks has been way more significant than the spells of troughing in between. And it looks to stay that way.

Relatively speaking, I strongly disagree.

Cold air is lacking thanks to the niño base state, but the default trough position has been in the West. This is true when averaged over the last 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days.

At some point the other shoe has to drop. And I highly doubt there will be much green/blue anywhere on this map as we head into summer. Torching looks like the rule for 90% of the CONUS through the remainder of 2024.

Just an awful, terrible, no-good-very-bad low frequency setup this year. And I think it will get substantially worse before it gets better.

IMG_1153.pngIMG_1154.pngIMG_1155.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Troll 1

So far it's been almost a perfectly climo spring.   And we have had a nice alternating pattern.    Won't be much complaining about climo.   Spring 2022 though?   That was worthy of complaints.    That was pretty rare though. 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Not a lot of complaining here lately. And of course this is a little ironic coming from the guy who’s been complaining nonstop about phantom heat that hasn’t even happened yet 🤣

You mean in January when it was 81 degrees? I’m certain you would be complaining too.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You mean in January when it was 81 degrees? I’m certain you would be complaining too.

Lucky for us that ice age should be around the corner any month now!

• Excited 1
  • Troll 1

37 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just yesterday we had @Front Ranger saying the EPS was basically cold for the entire run.   I was saying I could see signs of another ridge on the 500mb mean maps for the few days now.    Its pretty obvious when its coming into view.  

I said there was no strong signal for warmth. That has changed today.

Models and ensembles are, of course, all over the place past day 8.

• scream 1

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I said there was no strong signal for warmth. That has changed today.

Models and ensembles are, of course, all over the place past day 8.

And I mentioned the signs were there.  That is how the other warm spells evolved in the models.  Lately... any time the EPS loses the troughy signal in the west in the long range it turns into a warm spell.    It starts slowly and then just comes into focus at about a week out.

5 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Getting a nice southerly breeze here and bouncing between 63 and 64. 

Dropped to 73 out here... breeze starting to pick up.   Rain incoming.   Tomorrow should look even more lush with rain following warmth.

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Dropped to 73 out here... breeze starting to pick up.   Rain incoming.   Tomorrow should look even more lush with rain following warmth.

Quite breezy here now. Had to add a layer to continue lounging on the deck. 

• Sad 1
  • Windy 1