May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Weather like that is historically pretty typical for the first half of May. It’s definitely becoming less common though, so people are adjusting their expectations.

Saturday looks like a day that could be pretty exceptional for early May by historical standards. Both for temps and precip.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

18z GFS makes me actually so mad. Saturday's system clouds us up while cutting off the rain right across the sound. Hate you too, mother nature. No sun OR wetting rain! Amazing. Worst of both worlds 👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

18z GFS makes me actually so mad. Saturday's system clouds us up while cutting off the rain right across the sound. Hate you too, mother nature. No sun OR wetting rain! Amazing. Worst of both worlds 👍

January 13, 2024 spring edition.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

All guidance has some fairly prolific PSCZ activity over Seattle next week, under strong, cool NW flow. From experience these PSCZ's are usually overdone by global models, hopefully we get one to sit overhead and even the deficit just a tad. The front ahead of next week's airmass is rain shadow-y weak sauce so it'll be up to the postfrontal convection. Never a good sign to rely on that.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

23 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I’m older than most here and my first visit to Yellowstone was in the late 1960’s. There were plenty of idiots trying to hand-feed the bears. Got to see more than a few. (There were enough idiots hand-feeding bears out of their car windows that the bears learned to associate roads with food, and would hang out along them awaiting handouts. The practice only stopped when the Park Service killed all the habituated bears and cracked down hard on visitors feeding bears. I think this happened circa 1980.

Here’s one photo I trolled up from a quick web search. Looks very familiar. And it is easy to find hundreds of such photos.yellowstone-history-bear-feeding-5-860944257.jpg.474b0a4ac0a4e1438ee8a2800f26e6dd.jpg

Smokey Bear 🐻 was just trying to spread his message to the tourist.

IMG_3337.thumb.jpeg.a73b664fa8f45404e7a3cbb91f37a27f.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Totally agree... if its going to be cloudy and 50 degrees in May it might as well be pouring rain.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

38/67 for the day. Warmer than I expected this afternoon given the chilly start this morning.

Truck thermometer said it was 70F this afternoon while I was driving around.  Probably more likely 68 or 69.  Pretty warm given the frosty start this morning 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

Euro looks a bit wetter for the weekend at least. 

• Like 2

Ended up with a 61/44 spread here. Overnight rain then partly to mostly sunny skies through early afternoon, followed by another band of showers from the NNE that brought moderate rain mid afternoon. 

Clearing out nicely this evening though, with cool temps. 49 degrees currently.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Off topic....

Keep it classy Florida..  🙄

sociopaths sure know how to have fun!

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Off topic....

Keep it classy Florida..  🙄

That video is being talked about everywhere in the boating forums right now, hopefully these D-Bags are identified…Not that much would happen but with this video becoming so viral hopefully they will be at least massively publicly shamed. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

First leg done. In the Denver airport and it’s a nice airport I gotta say. Flight for NOLA leaves at 7AM.

• Like 8
  • Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

So close to getting some drought relief, but it is increasingly looking like the Seattle area will get skunked this weekend. 

IMG_2364.png

Its essentially a deformation zone tomorrow on the north side of the ULL to the south... and deformation zones often end up farther north than the models indicate.  

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

So close to getting some drought relief, but it is increasingly looking like the Seattle area will get skunked this weekend. 

IMG_2364.png

I’m in the darkest shade of grey! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It’s essentially a deformation zone tomorrow on the north side of the ULL to the south... and deformation zones often end up farther north than the models indicate. 

We’ll see. Light precipitation events in spring almost always go the opposite way, the models have over predicted every single storm this spring at my location. The bigger one in late April was the only one that came close to the forecast. 

39 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Spectacular morning! 

Agreed, glorious and cool out there. Rain looks to start early afternoon for us, curious to see how wet tomorrow ends up. Happy Friday all!

IMG_2844.thumb.jpeg.fa527a5a9cbf54100a354e50aa802dfe.jpeg

• Like 6

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

15 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Saturday looks like a day that could be pretty exceptional for early May by historical standards. Both for temps and precip.

Let’s see what actually happens that day.

• Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Next weekend looks warm.

Definitely going to be different!  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5385600.png

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Wild. Not many times PDX sees 2"+ of rain and SEA sees around .10" from the same storm.

Bellingham might get totally skunked.  

• Sick 2

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Bellingham might get totally skunked.  

6z Euro continued to be more generous for the Seattle area at least, compared to GFS. But the GEM also moved drier with the 12z run, so good chance the Euro does as well.

24 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Next weekend looks warm.

Finally! 

• Like 1
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

6z Euro continued to be more generous for the Seattle area at least, compared to GFS. But the GEM also moved drier with the 12z run, so good chance the Euro does as well.

Still a ton of spread in the ensembles. Initially it looks like the frontal band will struggle to make it past Olympia but eventually KSEA could get a decent soaking. Still a few EPS members in the 1” range but I think 0.5” remains the most likely outcome at least for the airport. 

I would love at least 0.3” out of this, that will be enough to get everything nice and wet again. The sunnier spots in my yard are starting to look dry. 

• Like 2

There hasn't been much to talk about down this way lately as April was very dry. But that looks to change with our snow totals increasing for tomorrow's storm. Now up to 6" for lake level. Will this be our last snow until next winter? It's looking that way on the long range models. Hopefully everyone scores some wet thunderstorms this summer!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Meanwhile a beautiful morning here with lots of sun ahead of the incoming system. Partly sunny and 59 currently.

Hit a chilly low of 41 this morning with even some dense fog around. I think the downpours before sunset last night followed immediately by clear skies set us up perfectly for some late spring fog.

• Like 1