February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Ok I don’t know what it is, but the 23*F tonight in NY feels like about 10 in Bellingham. It’s beyond cold, and it’s windy too. I’m not sure I like the cold weather here. The snow piles on the sides of the road are disgusting too, reminds me of being in Anchorage in the middle of winter when it hasn’t snowed in a week. I’m staying on Staten Island right near the S.I. Ferry. The roads are filled with potholes from all the salt they’ve poured over here this winter. The new mayor has his hands full.

Haha, well tomorrow night you're going to be in the single digits. Have fun while the rest of us envy you. :D

Haha, well tomorrow night you're going to be in the single digits. Have fun while the rest of us envy you. :D

Honestly though, I could drive an hour from my very own home in Bellingham and see 18 inch snowfalls about 10 times a winter if it was THAT special... It takes 60 minutes to drive to Heather Meadows at Mt Baker... I don’t do it though because 18 inches of snow anywhere but in my home town isn’t that special. There is something about seeing the streets you see every day, the trees, the parks, all of the sites that NEVER HAVE SNOW ON THEM, covered in a massive blanket of white fluffy snow that is incredibly special. It transforms the world you know into something magnificent. . . I don’t know these streets, I don’t see these trees and sites every day, so seeing them all covered in snow is like seeing my backyard covered in grass.... The only thing I do enjoy about snow anywhere is watching it fall in street lights and hearing it crunch under my feet. The enjoyment of the actual snow on the ground is not the same anywhere but home.

• Like 8

Honestly though, I could drive an hour from my very own home in Bellingham and see 18 inch snowfalls about 10 times a winter if it was THAT special... It takes 60 minutes to drive to Heather Meadows at Mt Baker... I don’t do it though because 18 inches of snow anywhere but in my home town isn’t that special. There is something about seeing the streets you see every day, the trees, the parks, all of the sites that NEVER HAVE SNOW ON THEM, covered in a massive blanket of white fluffy snow that is incredibly special. It transforms the world you know into something magnificent. . . I don’t know these streets, I don’t see these trees and sites every day, so seeing them all covered in snow is like seeing my backyard covered in grass.... The only thing I do enjoy about snow anywhere is watching it fall in street lights and hearing it crunch under my feet. The enjoyment of the actual snow on the ground is not the same anywhere but home.

Well said.

I feel like a fair weather sports fan...  Rooting for the 49ers when you’re from Dallas... Is no worse than enjoying a snowstorm in New York when you’re rom the PNW lowlands. 

I definitely agree with you there. Nothing quite like snow in your own domain.

The comparison is like watching your favorite football team play in the Super Bowl, vs watching two teams that you don't give a rats a** about.

I feel like a fair weather sports fan... Rooting for the 49ers when you’re from Dallas... Is no worse than enjoying a snowstorm in New York when you’re rom the PNW lowlands.

Ha, you totally ninja'd me. Exactly what I posted. :P

Still, if I could choose to enjoy a blizzard or not enjoy one, I'd pick the former.

Ok I don’t know what it is, but the 23*F tonight in NY feels like about 10 in Bellingham. It’s beyond cold, and it’s windy too. I’m not sure I like the cold weather here. The snow piles on the sides of the road are disgusting too, reminds me of being in Anchorage in the middle of winter when it hasn’t snowed in a week. I’m staying on Staten Island right near the S.I. Ferry. The roads are filled with potholes from all the salt they’ve poured over here this winter. The new mayor has his hands full. 

It always feels colder in the city, the wind whipping down the streets. Hopefully when there is fresh snow you can take a stroll through central.

Yup. The thing that suprised me about the 30:1 ratios on Sunday night was that I figured that the temps right at the surface would be enough to compact it, either through melting or aggregation. Didn't happen.

that is amazing... All of this while Bellingham was getting clobered by 6:1 ratio. I can't even begin to imagine the consequences of that storm if everything was shifted 100 miles south. It would be a catastrophe in Vancouver BC.

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

You stated this just about as clearly as possible. So very true.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I agree... I feel that trying, to keep trying, is too trying... ;)  I am ready to move on and bring some spring and warm weather as we can all see where this is going. kinda sucks but we should be pretty used to it here now.  Well, we have a possible El Nino to look forward to. Gooo team!  <_<

I'm totally ready for spring. Watching everywhere else get pounded has pretty much stripped my soul away this winter. It's pretty ironic...I spend the summer and fall looking forward to winter and then by mid February I am so ready for the torture to be over. Right now I want to fast forward to May and be done with the steaming pile of crap weather that usually highlights March and April.

I would move tomorrow if a couple hundred thousand dollars fell from the sky and I was able to. I am 100% sick of this place.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Green Bay has been below zero 47 times this year, 48 is their all time record. By the end of the week they have a new record.

Nice to see that some places are still capable of getting a great old fashioned winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I've already told my wife I'm going to Fairbanks for a week next winter. I'm going to walk around outside until I'm a human popsicle and have gotten my fill of cold and snow for once. It's not like getting it at home, but with an El Nino next winter we're not going to get much here. At least we won't have to go through the pain of a million near misses. Just being able to go into a winter knowing we are screwed will be easier.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I've already told my wife I'm going to Fairbanks for a week next winter. I'm going to walk around outside until I'm a human popsicle and have gotten my fill of cold and snow for once. It's not like getting it at home, but with an El Nino next winter we're not going to get much here. At least we won't have to go through the pain of a million near misses. Just being able to go into a winter knowing we are screwed will be easier.

Jim, That is the funniest post you have ever done. I am right there with you. when we wait all year for winter to arrive and we get nothing it has to almost do brain damage. I have told my wife for 20 years we don't belong in this shithole.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Today was gorgeous.    

I am very glad to come home here and not to MN right now.   

Tim it would be like you waited for the sunny day you love all year and it never came. Imagine years and years of that crap. That's how Jim and me feel right now. I hate that i'm stuck here.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

You don't need to go to Fairbanks. Just go to Atlanta! At least you can have sweet tea down there while it snows!

FWIW, snowier then the Euro last night if I recall..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/batman7150/ecmwf_snow_24_seattle_24-1.png

Oh goodie a half inch of sloppy slush for my lawn-- Epic!!! Make it stop, I am overwhelmed in pure amazement!!!

Guest Monty67

I'll settle for the 12.6" it shows for me.

Well I would hope so.

I still had between 8 and 11" in my back yard this afternoon. Probably will still have some around when it starts snowing this weekend.

I guess I will continue the conversation. 4.4" here sounds great. If we could get that much snow it would be an amazing finish to the winter. Now we just have to hope it doesn't trend north.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Quite frankly I just don't care about the rest of this winter any more.  Just want it to be over.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You don't need to go to Fairbanks. Just go to Atlanta! At least you can have sweet tea down there while it snows!

Since I would have to buy the tickets in advance to get a good deal, I need somewhere that it's almost certain to be cold with snow on the ground at pretty much any time during an average winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9