February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Dramatic ENSO cooling as of late due to the strengthening Walker Cell:

The Nino could be in trouble.  The 30 day SOI is at 14 now.  I'm pretty stunned at the recent turn of events.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow... this is what Sunday looks like now???

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam/00/nam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif

:lol: uh oh

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Along Lake Washington Blvd as well... and in downtown Bellevue.

Not surprising a bunch of California yuppies would plant palms.  We just need a good old fashioned January to take care of it.  This cold snap will probably take out a few.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not surprising a bunch of California yuppies would plant palms.  We just need a good old fashioned January to take care of it.  This cold snap will probably take out a few.

I doubt it Jim.

They will be just fine.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Could the cold be suppressing the precipitation further south? Or is that not how it works over here? Sorry, I know our weather is much different than yours, that's why I'm asking.

Exactly what the models are showing... no warm air push and therefore no precipitation over the weekend.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The Nino could be in trouble. The 30 day SOI is at 14 now. I'm pretty stunned at the recent turn of events.

What Niño are you referring to, exactly? We've been dead neutral for a few years.

The big transition beginning in the stratosphere right now will allow the MJO/tropical circulations to "unload" this summer, aided by the Solar maximum..forcing us into a weak or moderate El Niño by October or November 2014.

This graphic explains why the QBO is so important in regards to uplift/instability in the tropics, hence the MJO:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7809/z90g.jpg

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

Actually... the NAM shows the temperatures moderating after tomorrow.

NAM MOS which has been running cold has SEA at 30 tomorrow... then 36 on Friday... and then all the way up to 41 on Saturday.

The cold is peaking now.  

The dewpoints stay low... in the 20s... but the air temperature starts to moderate.

00Z RGEM is very different from the NAM. Has snow starting in the Willamette Valley by 7AM tomorrow, and then continuing almost nonstop throughout the run, even as far north as PDX. Flurries get as far north as the Canadian border, although there isn't a huge amount of accumulation north of OLM.

http://i.imgur.com/j7CpD18.gif

Actually... the NAM shows the temperatures moderating after tomorrow.

NAM MOS which has been running cold has SEA at 30 tomorrow... then 36 on Friday... and then all the way up to 41 on Saturday.

The cold is peaking now.  

The dewpoints stay low... in the 20s... but the air temperature starts to moderate.

I don't buy what you're selling.

Tim = Someone I could do without anymore on this forum.

Listening to him constantly think he is the god of everything is so tiring. You can call him out on something he is wrong about and he tries to twist it into a lie.

I remember my first beer!! I was 12. This is how Tim acts.

• God, I'd give anything for a drink. I'd give my god-damned soul for just a glass of beer.

Tim = Someone I could do without anymore on this forum.

Listening to him constantly think he is the god of everything is so tiring. You can call him out on something he is wrong about and he tries to twist it into a lie.

I remember my first beer!! I was 12. This is how Tim acts.

:lol:

Rough.

I said 30-35 for the parade about 20 times on here.   It was 32 in downtown Seattle today.    Can't twist that.

Tim is a joke to this forum. Can't believe he is married. Must be one tolerant woman. Don't pass the know it all crap to your kids please.

Really?    Throwing personal insults.    Real nice.      

BH - please delete this crap.   

It's not what you're saying.  Rather, it's the way you do it.  Almost taunting the board at every opportunity.  You're a smart guy--you know what I mean. 

That was nothing more than information with the NAM MOS.      I hate having to filter model data on here to protect sensitive people.    Just report what it shows.    It is what it is.