January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

Another reasonably chilly day today.  I ended up with 39 - 29.  Let's hope the yearly average never goes above normal in 2018!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WPO really starts to tank at the end of the 18z GFS.  The ECMWF ensemble is trending that way also.  That would be a huge help for us.  As much as I hate to see an Aleutian trough it might be what we need to shake things up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WPO really starts to tank at the end of the 18z GFS. The ECMWF ensemble is trending that way also. That would be a huge help for us. As much as I hate to see an Aleutian trough it might be what we need to shake things up.

Your optimism keeps this place going man. Thanks.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Your optimism keeps this place going man. Thanks.

I still have high confidence in this winter.  There have been many great winters that didn't even get started until the second half of January.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Any improvements seem to disappear in the long range like a fart in the wind....

There pretty good reason to think something will start to pop on the models very soon now with the MJO wave.  If that fails it will be time to worry.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WPO really starts to tank at the end of the 18z GFS. The ECMWF ensemble is trending that way also. That would be a huge help for us. As much as I hate to see an Aleutian trough it might be what we need to shake things up.

Indeed. I think we're looking at a 3-4 week period at a minimum for offshore blocking to really return with much fervor. But Nina forcing should favor us a lot more by February.

• Like 2

Indeed. I think we're looking at a 3-4 week period at a minimum for offshore blocking to really return with much fervor. But Nina forcing should favor us a lot more by February.

Groundhog Day regional blizzard? I could live that day over and over.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

18Z=same old stuff. Ridge moves too far east, some back door and cold pool action at best.

Baby steps and notches in the right direction though!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I could be wrong again, but I’m seeing another round of deepish eastern troughing late in January following the shake-up during the middle of January (which I originally thought would be an Arctic opportunity in the west, but..lol).

Then I think the switch into a classic Niña/-QBO regime in February is still on track. Maybe something like 2007/08 or 2005/06 or maybe 2011/12. Hard to know the specifics, but I’d lean towards +EPO/-PNA and cool NW flow.

I could be wrong again, but I’m seeing another round of deepish eastern troughing late in January following the shake-up during the middle of January (which I originally thought would be an Arctic opportunity in the west, but..lol).

Then I think the switch into a classic Niña/-QBO regime in February is still on track. Maybe something like 2007/08 or 2005/06. Hard to know the specifics, but I’d lean towards +EPO/-PNA and cool NW flow.

So we should put our sleds and snowblowers away until February?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

So we should put our sleds and snowblowers away until February?

I think February will definitely trend towards warmth and ridging in the eastern US, and with the -QBO taking over in the tropical Pacific, the -PNA should be easier to sustain albeit at the expense of the -EPO.

Then I think the switch into a classic Niña/-QBO regime in February is still on track. Maybe something like 2007/08 or 2005/06 or maybe 2011/12. Hard to know the specifics, but I’d lean towards +EPO/-PNA and cool NW flow.

Welp, those anal logs can basically put to bed the hopes for a decent event for the C and S Valley. I think 08 had one onshore snow event for Eugene that melted by the next night. We shall see but I'm not very optimistic, even though Jim is.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

It would be awesome if it could start in late January though.  Events that start in January and go into February are often the best of the best.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The temp has already dropped 3 degrees from the max of 39.  The atmosphere is VERY decoupled right now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So you’ve officially abandoned the idea of any arctic air affecting us this month? That might be just the reset we’ve been needing. ;)

There’s one wild card left, IMO. The mid/late-January wavetrain (Aleutian Low/Alaska Ridge/Euro Ridge) is the perfect WAFz conduit to the stratosphere. So there’s a chance we could pull off a full-fledged SSW event in late January.

If so..then who knows what could happen in February.

The temp has already dropped 3 degrees from the max of 39.  The atmosphere is VERY decoupled right now.

Maybe in your neighborhood.   Not here and not in Seattle... sunny and breezy today.   Very well mixed.    Just perfect out there... air feels very dry.  

Grass is also quite green for the dead of winter.  :)

26173530_1550388908362645_31522074641159

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

So you’ve officially abandoned the idea of any arctic air affecting us this month? That might be just the reset we’ve been needing. ;)

No, but it’s looking less likely IMO.

And lol, maybe.

You can also see that air mass was well mixed in Seattle today... very clear with no haze.    My favorite kind of winter day... the only thing better would be adding some snow on the ground.  

sea_1_1_18_2.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Maybe in your neighborhood. Not here and not in Seattle... sunny and breezy today. Very well mixed. Just perfect out there... air feels very dry.

Grass is also quite green for the dead of winter. :)

Make sure you get those mountains in the background

Even up this way. February 06 and 08 were pretty lame. Tim and Andrew would be able to enjoy though.

February 2006 gets marginalized because it was a dry hump but that mid month air mass was very formidable though. 504dm thicknesses made it to Spokane for the only time since December 1998.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Welp, those anal logs can basically put to bed the hopes for a decent event for the C and S Valley. I think 08 had one onshore snow event for Eugene that melted by the next night. We shall see but I'm not very optimistic, even though Jim is.

Dec 2008 was much better than that down here. We had a 3 - 4 day stretch with solid snow cover and cold temps.  It just wasn't historic like much of the PNW was north of here, 

February 2006 gets marginalized because it was a dry hump but that mid month air mass was very formidable though. 504dm thicknesses made it to Spokane for the only time since December 1998.

I remember that well... we were up in Bellingham house shopping with my parents and it was crystal clear but cold with a screaming NE wind.  

Maybe in your neighborhood. Not here and not in Seattle... sunny and breezy today. Very well mixed. Just perfect out there... air feels very dry.

Grass is also quite green for the dead of winter. :)

33 here currently.

33 here currently.

I think your area is mixed but you are on the edge of the Fraser outflow.    It was only 34 in Bellingham today.   There was a good north wind all the way down the Sound today.  

We had downsloping from the outflow through the pass out here so it was a little warmer.    There are some areas that don't get northerly or easterly flow in this pattern and those areas are stagnant.   

SEA was 44/31 today.   Respectably chilly but well mixed.  

I didn’t know that. Just looking at the climate records, it resulted in some sunny frosty days here. Similar to today.

I didn’t know that. Just looking at the climate records, it resulted in some sunny frosty days here. Similar to today.

It was a worst-case scenario from a low level perspective. From mid February sun angles to the backdoor trajectory to the void of any kind of transition event, it wasn't much to write home about.

The 70” in early February had a very Erie Pennsylvania feel to things on southern Vancouver Island

Yates street in downtown Victoria that February

attachicon.gifE7FAF152-68C8-4136-AF24-3FA42FAA4E57.jpeg

That is so frickin cool.  

It was very impressive, -14c 850mb temps over us.

2005-06 was generally interesting from mid February onwards. The early March trough was also impressive.

• Like 1

I still have high confidence in this winter. There have been many great winters that didn't even get started until the second half of January.

I'll bet those winters didn't have a gigantic west Pacific warm pool to contend with, though...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

I'll bet those winters didn't have a gigantic west Pacific warm pool to contend with, though...

I think the famous last words pool is more of a factor. The latent heat release from Phil and Jim's forecasting hubris is definitely a factor.