December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Rain has ended just in time for another dry day here with rain returning after dark again.    Offshore flow cranks up one more time this afternoon.    Good timing so far with the precipitation.    Tomorrow will not be so lucky.

Good dump of snow at Snoqualmie Pass last night!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

More maps!   Tomorrow is looking warmer again.  Still might be some 60-degree readings in places.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/wa_tsfc.33.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sun shining brightly here and 42 degrees with a dewpoint of 30 and a brisk east wind again.     

All 3 days this week so far have featured rain at night and pleasant daylight hours.

http://s7.postimg.org/46glya3xn/Untitled8.jpg

Nice...

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120212!!chart.gif

Sun shining brightly here and 42 degrees with a dewpoint of 30 and a brisk east wind again.

All 3 days this week so far have featured rain at night and pleasant daylight hours.

http://s7.postimg.org/46glya3xn/Untitled8.jpg

Nice! Drizzle here.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice...

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120212!!chart.gif

That does look quite nice! Any improvement on the 850's from last nights run?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice...

If only there was some colder air up North to tap into.

Nice...

That will spin up an unreal amount of tropical moisture into Texas.

It's respectably chilly, -5 to -6c at 850mb with 525 or so thickness and light offshore flow.

That would be good enough for frozen precip. And lots of time for things to improve as well.

If only there was some colder air up North to tap into.

The thing is, it would be cold enough for snow here (WA at least). Temps in the 30's during the day and below freezing at night. Not epic cold but that is sometimes the best setup for the most snow around here. PLUS it is in la-la-land in the world of weather so a lot will change either way. I also would not be surprised if it gets pushed back from run to run as this is common, but we shall see. 

• Like 1

Yes, i am lokking forward to see how much my cabin gets uip near republic. They look to get a big dump later this week. Not to often do i get a 12 inch snowfall there, most of time just many 5 or 6 inch storm thst keep adding up.

Are you heading up there again soon?

That map shows 850mb temps. You should be able to tell.

Thank you so much Jesse. However I was asking the difference between today's 12z and last nights 0z.

Thank you so much Jesse. However I was asking the difference between today's 12z and last nights 0z.

No link on your phone?

I think it would benefit you to at least know how to find/read some maps on your own, considering you seem to be such a die hard weather junkie and long time forum user. :)

No link on your phone?

I think it would benefit you to at least know how to find/read some maps on your own, considering you seem to be such a die hard weather junkie and long time forum user. :)

I can barely see the lines on my phone let alone be able to scroll between two different maps. Especially the Euro maps. Anyway I didn't realize there were rules against asking a question about a map that was posted. Won't make that mistake again. Happy Holidays!
  • Like 1

I can barely see the lines on my phone let alone be able to scroll between two different maps. Especially the Euro maps. Anyway I didn't realize there were rules against asking a question about a map that was posted. Won't make that mistake again. Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays! :)

Are you heading up there again soon?

I now have a complete solar system i assembled. Total cost was 1700. I have 2500 watts of clean energy. Pretty cool to have a remote location and walk in and turn on the tv and lights and know its all from the sun.Last weekend it got down to 4 degrees.

• Like 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Since no one else seems to want to answer, yes, the new 12z is a bit colder at 240 hours. It's not a big change however, and it's also 240 hours out so not worth sweating over. For future reference, on your mobile, hold your finger down on the image and select "open image". This will allow you to zoom in on the image to see the finer details. I threw together a comparison real quick of yesterdays 12z and todays 12z. They are both at 240 hours rather than being the same day, but I just wanted you to see the differences. Try to open the image and zoom in, it will help a lot. Happy Holidays! 

http://i.imgur.com/GM8Tqwg.gif

• Like 6

Since no one else seems to want to answer, yes, the new 12z is a bit colder at 240 hours. It's not a big change however, and it's also 240 hours out so not worth sweating over. For future reference, on your mobile, hold your finger down on the image and select "open image". This will allow you to zoom in on the image to see the finer details. I threw together a comparison real quick of yesterdays 12z and todays 12z. They are both at 240 hours rather than being the same day, but I just wanted you to see the differences. Try to open the image and zoom in, it will help a lot. Happy Holidays!

http://i.imgur.com/GM8Tqwg.gif

Justin already replied.

But thank you for going into more detail explaining that to him. If I weren't on MY phone right now I might have as well!

Justin already replied.

But thank you for going into more detail explaining that to him. If I weren't on MY phone right now I might have as well!

He must have replied between me seeing the initial post and me actually responding once I got to my laptop. My bad

• Like 1

Glad someone brought this up. Fairly typical of El Nino around its peak... Arctic air bottled up, regardless of 500 mb pattern.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a near nation-wide green Christmas. The Arctic Oscillation Index is likely going to stay positive for the rest of the month, meaning the arctic air is not going to come down.

While the AO is important for NH mid-latitude cold in general, the EPO is more important for getting Arctic air into the lower 48. And right now all models keep the EPO quite positive through the next 10 days, though it may fall after that.

The AO is actually forecast by some models to drop near neutral or even go a little negative in the long range, but of course that's of little value at this point.

A forum for the end of the world.

The ECMWF seems to be locked onto the idea of a gigantic and very deep trough over the western half of the country later next week.  That deep trough dredges up some ridiculously warm air and forces it over the eastern third of the country.  Pretty interesting pattern over all.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9