December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I just dislike propaganda put out by certain people and then the expectation that everyone buy into the propaganda. I don't dislike the love of cold and snow. I love cold and snow. But a real discussion is often derailed by delusion. You see the situation clearly. Matt does as well. So does Jared. And, as I mentioned, I really like Rob's detailed analysis.

The bottom line is that things haven't really trended towards a meaningful pattern change at this point. We're a ways off still. The real story has been and will continue to be the filthy amounts of rain, either though it's understandably far less enticing a discussion to have.

Also, in looking at our wettest Decembers on record, there's really no clear signal. Big mixed bag of patterns the rest of the winter. Decembers like 1996, 1955, 1933, 1917, 1882, and 1867 really stand out for their rain and there's some huge contrasts there in JFM. 

• Like 1

I would say decent chance that several people on this forum (besides you) see snow in the next 10

It's snowing here right now. Thinking it will switch to rain by daylight tomorrow.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

PV breaks up. A least it will shake things up. We might score at the onset of that change.

Question is, will the tropical forcings still favor NPAC height rises by the time it breaks up (mid/late January)?

• Like 1

Never said that. Usually quotation marks are for quoting people.

You kind of implied it.

There is plenty of cold air sitting just to your north on these runs. The PV is not what's holding that from sliding a little further south.

Nice. Is this a cold air damming situation up there like the Hood Canal?

That looked to be the case by what the models were showing. The winds have been blowing ENE across the strait of Georgia all night. WRF showed negative 925mb temps hugging the east side of Vancouver island most of this morning.

It is snowing at The Dalles. 33 degrees. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

06Z GFS bottoms out at -7C on Christmas night... and the meteostar output shows precip at that time.    Although the operational run is sparse... there is a low offshore.  

It is sort of cool that the best chance of lowland snow in the next couple weeks does happen to land on Christmas.   :)

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=ksea

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/06/gfs_namer_210_precip_p03.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Precip is just starting to arrive in the Seattle area this morning as the models showed.     Roads are still totally dry.   

37 here with a dewpoint of 29 and dry.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Starting to accumulate now. Temp down to 33F. First snow I have seen in over a year. Hard to believe considering we average a little over 30".

Very cool... do you think it will stay snow as the precip gets heavier?   I am not sure how it works up there in this situation.  

Very cool... do you think it will stay snow as the precip gets heavier? I am not sure how it works up there in this situation.

Usually the heavier precip helps, at least until the upper levels warm or until a south wind scours out what cold air there is. Typically these are a rain to snow to rain situation. I was surprised it started as snow actually. Precipitation is modelled as being pretty light up here, looked like the 7-10am period might produce an inch or so. It's borderline, it's 40 degrees and raining only 5 miles from here and 500ft lower.

Usually the heavier precip helps, at least until the upper levels warm or until a south wind scours out what cold air there is. Typically these are a rain to snow to rain situation. I was surprised it started as snow actually. Precipitation is modelled as being pretty light up here, looked like the 7-10am period might produce an inch or so. It's borderline, it's 40 degrees and raining only 5 miles from here and 500ft lower.

Is the lake there at 500ft?

Yeah, this isn't responsible for the progressive nature of the pattern. Just a normal early-winter PV, correct? :rolleyes:

What a monster. (Image credit: Michael Ventrice/WSI)

image.png

• Like 1

Mid 40s and rain in Moscow this weekend and next week... typical Christmas weather there I assume.   :)

Low 60s and partly cloudy in London this weekend.   Just normal, pleasant May weather.  

Seems like the Western US is the only place cold at this latitude. 

6z GFS Ensembles 850mb mean temps about the same. The only changes I note were the new cluster of -5c to -10c after December 27th. Would like to see that increase and to get rid of the warmer members. 500mb anomalies a touch better.

Oh, I tried to ' like ' a few posts, but I got this prompt instead

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

-------------------------------------------

Now how am I supposed to show my agreement or like for other members comments, analysis, or whatever, if I can't do that. It'll be a rough day for me, but I'll get through this somehow. Onto 12z!

12z GFS in 44 minutes

12z GEM in 1 hours 44 minutes

12z ECMWF in 3 hours 6 minutes

• Like 1

It is snowing at The Dalles. 33 degrees. 

I like this

06Z GFS bottoms out at -7C on Christmas night... and the meteostar output shows precip at that time.    Although the operational run is sparse... there is a low offshore.  

It is sort of cool that the best chance of lowland snow in the next couple weeks does happen to land on Christmas.   :)

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=ksea

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/06/gfs_namer_210_precip_p03.gif

I definitely like this

Starting to accumulate now. Temp down to 33F. First snow I have seen in over a year. Hard to believe considering we average a little over 30".

Nice. I like this

Yeah, this isn't responsible for the progressive nature of the pattern. Just a normal early-winter PV, correct? :rolleyes:

What a monster. (Image credit: Michael Ventrice/WSI)

attachicon.gifimage.png

I like the knowledge, but I don't like the massive, consolidated PV

• Like 2

Dumping at the pass with I-90 covered down to 1,700 feet.

Should be a monster couple weeks up there. Perfect timing.

I just got done looking at the pass cams, gave me Goosebumps. So great to see after such a horrible past two years.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6z GFS Ensembles 850mb mean temps about the same. The only changes I note were the new cluster of -5c to -10c after December 27th. Would like to see that increase and to get rid of the warmer members. 500mb anomalies a touch better.

Oh, I tried to ' like ' a few posts, but I got this prompt instead

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

-------------------------------------------

Now how am I supposed to show my agreement or like for other members comments, analysis, or whatever, if I can't do that. It'll be a rough day for me, but I'll get through this somehow. Onto 12z!

12z GFS in 44 minutes

12z GEM in 1 hours 44 minutes

12z ECMWF in 3 hours 6 minutes

I know! Guess we need to petition Fred about an allowed number of "likes" increase!!

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Mid 40s and rain in Moscow this weekend and next week... typical Christmas weather there I assume.   :)

Low 60s and partly cloudy in London this weekend.   Just normal, pleasant May weather.  

Seems like the Western US is the only place cold at this latitude. 

China says hello.

A forum for the end of the world.

12z GFS no bueno. Offshore ridge is much weaker and less amplified. Downright wimpy, really.

So the Euro has been getting stronger with the ridge and amplification, and the GFS has been getting weaker?