August 2022 Observation & Discussion

7 minutes ago, Andie said:

Not too far north of the Texas line.  
Get ready for cold front and hot as hell! Loads of weather.  

That's what I am counting on! Bring it on. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

Happy Friday!  #TGIF...things are going change around here and the Monsoon will dry up for a little while next week as we warm up into the mid/upper low 100's.  TBH, I'm ready for a change and to see lower humidity levels.  I gotta tell ya, it wears on you when temps are around 100F and DP's in the 60's each and every day.  You can't even enjoy the pool bc you don't get that "cooling" effect as I'm used to when the DP's are much lower.  Having said that, a stretch of hotter days is welcomed and I can deal with it. 

It also gives you a taste of the climate in Texas/Oklahoma in summer.  No such thing as “that cooling effect” unless you’re standing under an a/c vent right after a shower!!

For the new imported residents to Texas it is quite an adjustment.   Once the economy and political scene iron themselves out many will leave.  It’s been that way for decades.  

We’re at 73     (dp 71…there ya go!)

Heading for 92 today.  Not bad at all.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'm not liking the trend for the weekend.  Models are trending toward good rain in central Iowa Saturday night into Sunday morning, but it hits a brick wall and little rain makes it into eastern Iowa.  Then, everything moves out to the east and we shift into a very dry pattern for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm not liking the trend for the weekend.  Models are trending toward good rain in central Iowa Saturday night into Sunday morning, but it hits a brick wall and little rain makes it into eastern Iowa.  Then, everything moves out to the east and we shift into a very dry pattern for the foreseeable future.

This scenario wont surprise  whatsoever.  The mid range models have stunk for my area all summer.   Even the short range haven't  been that good.  Rain from north  dies approaching  my area,  nothing at all from west  or south (as can be common from sw).  And when it jumps the Mississippi  river it blows up!    A friend says Kaj Omara says that its the driest start to any year since 1988 at OTM!!  I know  the 2012 and especially  the 2017 june, july and aug periods were drier than now but but this almost  constant  severe lack in precip back to late aug 2021 is becoming  almost without precedent!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, had my first 90 degree day since early August. Now 72 and a gully washer thunderstorm!

That was a nice short lived heat!

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The local met's are upping the ante on temps touching 110F mid next week.   The Euro is not shying away but the other models are not really on board.  I think we have a good shot at topping out at 110F given the pattern setting up in the SW.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.27.06 AM.png

• Sun 2
  • scream 1

Yesterday was yet another great late summer day with an official H/L of 78/63 at Grand Rapids. There was officially 0.03” of rain fall and there was 47% of possible sunshine. This has been a great summer in much of the area. In fact, Grand Rapids, Holland, Saginaw, Alpena, Houghton Lake Milwaukee, Madison, WI Chicago will all have very near average mean temperatures for meteorological summer 2022. There are some locations that will be warmer than average such as Lansing, Detroit, Flint. While The Sault will end up just below average.

• Like 2

Hot and sticky weekend in western MO. good rain chances ahead especially Sunday night.

Tab2FileL.png

Models are really struggling like they have will almost every chance of rain this summer.  The I-35 corridor from KC to Minneapolis seems to be the hot spot on most models.  GEFS looks like this as of this morning.

qpf_acc-mean-imp.us_mw.png

• Like 7

Low 90’s this weekend but Mon-Wed we’ll have 80’s and rain.   

We’re in the pendulum time of year.  
Sure beats this summer!  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 80/57 for yet another great late summer day. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 54% of the time. The official overnight low at GRR was 59 here in MBY I had a overnight low of 62. For today the average H/L is now down to 79/59. The record high for today is 94 set in 1952 and again in 1953. The record low is 41 set in 1986. It was hot last year on this date as the high/low was 92/73.  Today looks to be very warm and more humid with a chance of some showers later in the day.

I May not be able to get any rainfall, the storms that were coming my last night collapsed before they got to me, but it has left an outflow boundary along I-40 with a Marginal risk of severe storms to boot.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Today will definitely be hotter than Friday. There might not be any storms to save our bacon in northeastern KY for a little bit.

And uhh, nice, I see the regional airport is not observing temperatures right now. lol Guessing the temp in this climate is hard to do.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The trend of dud rain events for my area continues.  All the rain yesterday and overnight was west and north.  All the good rain today is east.  I have picked up only 0.11".  Since August 8th, I've only received 0.60".  The first half of September looks bleak for rain.  🙁

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The trend of dud rain events for my area continues.  All the rain yesterday and overnight was west and north.  All the good rain today is east.  I have picked up only 0.11".  Since August 8th, I've only received 0.60".  The first half of September looks bleak for rain.  🙁

Just a horrible pattern for many on here. 0.23” since July 28th with 0.17” yesterday. 97 degrees on August 28th as the unending summer continues with little to no chances of rain for another 15 days. Gotta hope for some kind of massive pattern change. 

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Same old story here. Huge deficits continue.  A lite rain once every 10 to 20 days. Ottumwa  easily 15 inches below avg precip for 2022. But I did pick up .46 this am in several showers. Absolutely  zero severe weather is beyond odd!

And Aug is sitting at 1.80 which is  the driest month yet! And it still got sunny and 86F this pm evaporating   what fell! Demoralizing  beyond belief to keep seeing 1.5 to 4 inches fall repeatedly  not far away.

20220828_121647.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up 2.11" at  KDSM (2.25" at mby 20 min W of DSM) The airport is  nearly at normal now for Aug  ( 97% of normal) and "only" 5.6" below normal for the year and 3.48" since July 1st. Amazing what just one good rain event does too eat into a  large negative deficit...

• Like 4
  • Storm 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:53 PM, Timmy Supercell said:

Well, had my first 90 degree day since early August. Now 72 and a gully washer thunderstorm!

That was a nice short lived heat!

Your climate is so much better than mine. :lol:

Last 4 days have all been 90+, 13 days total so far this month. Will be adding many more over the next 2-3 weeks as well..summer never seems to go quietly here.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bryan1117 said:

Another nice round of showers and thunderstorms rolled through the Omaha metro this morning. I picked up another 0.65" of rain in my backyard and finally we got some good, consistent downpours with this activity. Keep it coming Mother Nature! 

Only had .21” IMBY.☹️

Been watching the forecast temps for this week and into the weekend and they keep creeping up. We’re going camping over by Iowa City for Labor Day weekend and the forecast highs are up 5 degrees and the latest forecast discussion mentions dews returning to the 60s.

Even today was initially supposed to stay below 90, but the highs were bumped up to 93, and I hit 94.1 IMBY and one of the more humid days in quite a while led to a heat index as high as 104.

The rest of the week and the holiday weekend now shows highs well into the 80s and probably some 90s.

I’ve averaged 89.7 degrees so far this month for highs IMBY, the warmest month ever in my 4 years of records with my weather station!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

There were some severe storms that rocked the northern burbs yesterday afternoon back home and more are supposed to fire up early this afternoon.  Boy, this summer has def delivered action in our area across the lower lakes.  

The threat today has my attn and I told my brother and his wife to keep an eye on the radar as they are driving up from the Ozarks today!

day1otlk_1200.gif

• Like 1
  • scream 1

The Heat is On and we are underneath and Excessive Heat Watch that starts on Tuesday...let's see if we manage to top 110F.  I'm actually looking forward to the Heat without the Humidity.  I've seen plenty of Monsoon storms since I've been out here and I'm rather pleased with what I've seen.  It's been a hellova ride this summer for the entire valley so its nice to get a break for an extended period.  

WeatherStory2.png?7ddbab1c24cbaec390f91a

• Like 2

Yesterday was a warm late summer day with a H/L at Grand Rapids of 86/59. Before midnight there was a total of 0.97” of rain fall and that will be the new 5th most for any August 28th during the day there was 57% of possible sunshine. Here in MBY I had a total of 1.08” of rain fall up to 7AM this morning. The official overnight low at GRR was a warm 71 the low here in MBY was 69 and that is the current temperature. After a warm and somewhat humid day today it will turn cooler for most of this week.

• Like 1

Ottumwa is finally getting a strong storm this morning.  DMX has issued a severe warning and radar suggests some hail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, someweatherdude said:

GFS predicting the latest ever 100+ reading for Minneapolis.  Not to mention the first 100+ September day since 1931.   I'll eat my hat if this happens.  The GFS has been crazy with the heat predictions this year.  I know it's been hot, especially in Texas. But the GFS has been out to lunch quite a bit this summer.  gfs_T2m_us_59.png

I pretty much take about 10 degrees off the highs on the GFS😂

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Ottumwa is finally getting a strong storm this morning.  DMX has issued a severe warning and radar suggests some hail.

Not hardly  severe  my place. Maybe a little south of me. But probably  the most lightning  in many months. I got .23. This am and .46 yesterday  am. So .69 so far this system.  2.03 for Aug. Still slight chances this pm.  But in general  my area here no end in sight to horrid drought  conditions. 

The rain has now let up here. The big line of storms was not as bad as the pre storms that rolled thru here before. The main line had heavy rain but not as heavy and the first wave. There was some wind with the main event but not too much and just a little lightning (there was a couple of close strikes with the first storm) I just took a rain fall  measurement while the 1st storm dropped 0.55" in less than 20 minutes the 2nd one only added 0.23" for a total of 0.78" but that is added to the 1.08" from last night. That is 1.86" for last night and today. There is some very light rain falling at this time with a temperature of 70.

• Like 1