November 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Gradient Keeper

They brought it back about a month ago. Buggy and slow but it gets the job done. :)

Very interesting!   

That was the main reason I went to WeatherBell.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It finally managed to drop to 32 here last night just before the wind kicked in. I had a gust to 33 here just a little bit ago.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 12z ECMWF ensemble looks pretty nice. Robust -NAO -PNA around day 10. The 11 to 15 day period has improved with a weak -PNA continuing.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The CFS is getting more consistent in portraying a GOA / Aleutian block for December. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Euro weeklies are looking very promising. The control and ensemble mean look good for a warning shot beginning later next week through the end of the month. That is followed by ridging the first half of the December then at the very least modified arctic air floods the region around the 20th with plenty of valley snow for the region.

Have to give huge props to Snow Wiz if this all becomes reality as I think this is the general progression of things that he has been forecasting for months now.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

No question the models are getting more bullish about a GOA ridge beginning next week. Looking pretty decent right now. that should also bring the PDO down a bit.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Euro weeklies are looking very promising. The control and ensemble mean look good for a warning shot beginning later next week through the end of the month. That is followed by ridging the first half of the December then at the very least modified arctic air floods the region around the 20th with plenty of valley snow for the region.

Have to give huge props to Snow Wiz if this all becomes reality as I think this is the general progression of things that he has been forecasting for months now.

Are you looking at the same weeklies I am?

I see a big NPAC vortex/+WPO/+PNA through the entirety of December. Not that I agree with it.

I can see that being a realistic progression. "Warning shot" last week of November -> ridging for the first week or two of December -> retrogression of said-ridge causes cold/snow last half of December. Seems logical if everything plays out right.

I could see something like that unfolding. I'm confident there'll be a notable -EPO burst sometime in December, but I'm not sure how exactly it'll unfold, and whether or not it'll coincide with a SSW event.

February 1989 is the last example of the ideal strat/tropical synchronization.

18z GFS also shows much colder air finally making it to our side of the Hemisphere moving pole ward into Alaska. It's not historic cold or anything, but it's nice to see. Definite steps in the right direction. It's coming. Get ready. Be prepared. Subject to change: Slight chance, but it is the Drunk Uncle after all.

Extracted Data

Barrow, AK http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=pabr

Fairbanks, AK http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=pafa

Anchorage, AK http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=pamr

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2016111818/gfs_T850_ak_41.png

• Like 3

Today is the last day of sunlight for Utqiaġvik, Alaska (formerly called Barrow).

65 days without sunlight starting tomorrow.

I think most people will still call it Barrow since the real name looks unpronounceable.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Probably the NAM in general... she is kind of a S**t too

Shouldn't that be faced?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Are you looking at the same weeklies I am?

I see a big NPAC vortex/+WPO/+PNA through the entirety of December. Not that I agree with it.

Ha, I sure hope I am!

The weekly control run from yesterday showed a pretty nice block from December 13th - 23rd timeframe. Not the best looking block ever but we don't need that to see snow. Sometimes it's better so we can get more moisture into the area. The ensemble mean is also giving the area snowfall in that same timeframe. Maybe not quite arctic but good enough.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Ha, I sure hope I am!

The weekly control run from yesterday showed a pretty nice block from December 13th - 23rd timeframe. Not the best looking block ever but we don't need that to see snow. Sometimes it's better so we can get more moisture into the area. The ensemble mean is also giving the area snowfall in that same timeframe. Maybe not quite arctic but good enough.

Oh, yeah the operational control run is on board with a modified event of sorts during week 4. I prefer to look at the ensemble mean, which I think offers better predictability at that range.

Always risky to rely on a single operational run once out several weeks. Huge swings occur within 10 days, let alone four weeks.

Chilly out there today. Only got to 42F for a high here today.

55 here with offshore flow.    It was really windy down in the valley but much less so up here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'll go with the North America view. It paints the best picture. And btw, it's flurrying in Redmond at the moment. Temp sitting at 32.4

Oh, yeah the operational control run is on board with a modified event of sorts during week 4. I prefer to look at the ensemble mean, which I think offers better predictability at that range.

Always risky to rely on a single operational run once out several weeks. Huge swings occur within 10 days, let alone four weeks.

Agreed.

Definitely not depending on it but at the same time it is the most accurate long range operational model in the land so it shouldn't be discounted completely.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Wind Advisory

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
624 PM PST FRI NOV 18 2016

EAST PUGET SOUND LOWLANDS-

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM PST SUNDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY FOR EAST PUGET SOUND LOWLANDS... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM PST SUNDAY.

* TIMING...STRONGEST WINDS WILL OCCUR THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

* WINDS...EAST TO SOUTHEAST 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH. HIGHEST WIND SPEEDS AND GUSTS WILL BE NEAR THE CASCADE GAPS.

* IMPACTS...WIND SPEEDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE CAN BREAK TREE LIMBS THAT FALL ONTO ROADS...VEHICLES...AND ROOFTOPS. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.