December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Worst Euro run in years tonight!

Decades really...not sure I can go on knowing that Euro run is now out there in computer land for all to see.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Marys Peak @ 4000 ft in the coast range just dropped to 19 degrees (-7C).  Current modeled temps are -3C at 925mb and -1C at 850mb.  Upslope effect, more or less consistent with adiabatic lapse rate from our 29F in the valley.

Hoping this means the cold air is deeper than modeled, more snow, less ice...

• Like 2

Big blast headed for the NW on day 9 with building heights in the SE and Midwest.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It looks like it might try to do something at day 8. Similar to what the GFS was hinting at.

Looks like the beginning stages of a +EPO vortex to me. Euro loves to torque troughs SW along mountainous terrain so maybe it pulls one of its BS stunts in that regard but overall, right from day one I don't like the look of the run.

Need to amplify that waveguide to dig the trough. Otherwise it's a flatter wavetrain, more progressive US trough, and a quicker/easier return to a +EPO/+AO as 120E forcing takes over. Bad run.

I still like the direction it headed in days 4-5, compared to the 12z. Came closer to tilting the ridge, as dewey pointed out will be necessary to get more of that PV air west.

I mean, it's well established the models are all over the place right now. I'm just looking for some sort of trend here, and all 0z runs moved in a better and somewhat similar direction in the mid range.

A forum for the end of the world.

I still like the direction it headed in days 4-5, compared to the 12z. Came closer to tilting the ridge, as dewey pointed out will be necessary to get more of that PV air west.

I mean, it's well established the models are all over the place right now. I'm just looking for some sort of trend here, and all 0z runs moved in a better and somewhat similar direction in the mid range.

Well, I think it moved in the wrong direction all around. Right from the beginning, the macroscale waveguide across the Pacific was flatter. That's a dagger every time, no exceptions.

Just perusing the 00z Euro I agree with this take.

Looks like the beginning stages of a +EPO vortex to me. Euro loves to torque troughs SW along mountainous terrain so maybe it pulls one of its BS stunts in that regard but overall, right from day one I don't like the look of the run.

Yeah you were right about the Arctic Blast headed into the Midwest next week when the EURO first showed it giving us an epic blast. Though this time around looks like there is better model agreement with the GFS and GEM that it might be different this go around.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Certainly gets things cold at day 9. -13C for SEA. -16C for Vancouver.

Yeah, not bad. But block doesn't hold and SE ridge is pretty weak, but it's day 9... As you say, best we can do at this point is look for some sort of trend.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

:mellow: :huh: :o

Sorry, lol.

Flat waveguide --> shift in EA-NAMT ratios -> NPAC jet breaks through (day 9) --> SE ridge gets blown apart --> transition into zonal regime.

Pretty hard to be unhappy with tonight's model runs. Very interesting possibilities.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Fun to see the goodies within the range of the WRF. Pretty deep cold spell and then a big snow and about to get colder again at the end.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yep ... but been there done that.

As I say...as long as that mega block is there we have a great shot.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Down to 22now

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The hugeass!

Best forecast model ever that wasn't actually a model.

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/WeatherManKevin

He got his own ED page now. I wonder if he actually made any real money off his stunts.

Edit: Reading that was an awesome distraction from writing haha It's a bit over the top might violate the all audience friendly rules of the forum though(no obscene images however)

The updated run of the 00z EURO operational actually has some pretty cold temperatures for PDX. Even if we just get a glancing blow, this just goes to show you know bitter cold the Arctic airmass is going to the Midwest.

Highs next ten days.

Thu: 32/30

Fri: 34/30

Sat: 44/33

Sun: 44/37

Mon: 43/36

Tue: 41/32

Wed: 32/25

Thu: 31/27 - Snow/Ice storm (3-6" PDX Metro, up to 10"-12" Columbia/Cowlitz County)

Fri: 36/27

Sat: 23/14

The updated run of the 00z EURO operational actually has some pretty cold temperatures for PDX. Even if we just get a glancing blow, this just goes to show you know bitter cold the Arctic airmass is going to the Midwest.

Highs next ten days.

Thu: 32/30

Fri: 34/30

Sat: 44/33

Sun: 44/37

Mon: 43/36

Tue: 41/32

Wed: 32/25

Thu: 31/27 - Snow/Ice storm (3-6" PDX Metro, up to 10"-12" Columbia/Cowlitz County)

Fri: 36/27

Sat: 23/14

SCORE! The updated run of the 06z GFS shows an Arctic Blast arriving on Tuesday and snow/ice storm for PDX next Thursday, the same day as the EURO! Then a reload at day 9 with more snow! Check out the snow totals through day 10!

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/132/850th.us_nw.pnghttp://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/174/prateptype_cat.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/216/500h_anom.na.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/216/prateptype_cat.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/240/850th.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/240/prateptype_cat.us_nw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016120806/240/snku_acc.us_nw.png

• Like 1

I have a confession.

I'm really excited about tonight.

Admittedly those of us in the northern reaches of this subforum have had less of a rollercoaster ride with respect to the model runs, although our snow amounts have continued to plummet with each run. I've been quiet lately because I didn't want to post that I'm so excited about this event since it looks to be mostly snow up here.

I'm more of a conservative forecaster, and these overrunning events are certainly tricky, especially with the local effects due to our complex terrain.

I'm admittedly not very confident for areas south of say Arlington. I can see why the NWS is a little clueless. That's not to say that a surprise won't be in store, but I think the dynamics are going to hinder any potential widespread 4"+ which is kind of my subjective floor for a decent "event". I think the usual areas with beneficial local effects could make it, but I'm not optimistic for the metro areas. But the models have been terrible, even in the short range. I'm more interested to see some of the hi-res models like the HRRR and RAP, as shitty as they are, to latch onto a solution, at least as far as precip type goes. Small tweaks could make all the difference. This really is a thread the needle type of scenario--naturally. I swear the life expectancy for weather weenies in the PNW has to be lower from all the anxiety.

But to shed some optimism, I don't see the cold air scouring out anytime soon. There have been hints of the arctic air extending this far west on and off for some time, and the frequency of those colder runs continues to grow. I find the models are usually pretty awful with scouring colder air masses on the periphery. Although I don't see a strong signal to guarantee that the cold air holds, I wouldn't be surprised to see "warm ups" that remain decently cold, followed by more waves of arctic air.

Not a climatologist, so going out on a limb here, but I'd say:

-Colder than normal temperatures remain for the next two weeks, with the week prior to Christmas being potentially record breaking

-Above normal snowfall over the next two weeks

-Last week of December is a total toss up between slightly chilly or majorly cold

-Early January will remain below normal

-Rest of January will return to a wetter, milder pattern

Keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about :) But I do think the December is going to remain a solidly cold month and I would bet on at least one major snowfall (6"+) for most posters in this sub. I do think that metro Vancouver/Bellingham will have an opportunity to majorly cash in, which is something I haven't said in a really long time.

• Like 3

And my thoughts on snow for the Thursday night-into the weekend period...

I'm looking at 5" for the Vancouver/Bellingham areas into early Saturday. The real question for me is how the low behaves Saturday into Sunday. This is where the northern sub has a real chance to score in major (snow totals nearing a foot), or get totally screwed. I think the Canadian suite is a little too aggressive, but I don't buy into the drier/milder NAM/GFS solutions. Wet bulb is really going to help hold off on the transition, and I don't see any significant WAA in the upper levels to screw these areas prematurely.

My call for the northern sub areas: 8" for metro Vancouver/Bellingham by Sunday night. I just don't see the changeover happening quickly, if at all. Barring some variance due to local effects like shadowing or dry air scouring the onset of precip.

• Like 1

And my thoughts on snow for the Thursday night-into the weekend period...

I'm looking at 5" for the Vancouver/Bellingham areas into early Saturday. The real question for me is how the low behaves Saturday into Sunday. This is where the northern sub has a real chance to score in major (snow totals nearing a foot), or get totally screwed. I think the Canadian suite is a little too aggressive, but I don't buy into the drier/milder NAM/GFS solutions. Wet bulb is really going to help hold off on the transition, and I don't see any significant WAA in the upper levels to screw these areas prematurely.

My call for the northern sub areas: 8" for metro Vancouver/Bellingham by Sunday night. I just don't see the changeover happening quickly, if at all. Barring some variance due to local effects like shadowing or dry air scouring the onset of precip.

Works for me! :)

Pretty insanely good ensemble support for the insanely good 06z.

I'm still skeptical.

Yeah, would be an awesome morning for nerds to wake up to if not for the NWS loosing confidence and HRRR not looking bullish. 06z nam and gfs weren't bad.

Both the 06z GEFS and 00z EPS improved the pattern in the middle and long range, and bring the Arctic air closer to the PNW overall. The 00z EPS looked nothing like the 00z ECMWF operational so that was a relief, though I'd still like to tweak it somewhat.

6z... Good one. It's always had a good sense of humor.

Why can't the 12z ever lighten up and have a sense of humor like the 6z does? I hate having my mornings at work continually ruined by that grumpy old bastard.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!