December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I'm seeing a huge blank spot for snow here on Thursday on most of the models. Just a little impatient is all.

Dude... go frame by frame on the 00Z ECMWF snow maps every 6 hours for the next 10 days. Its crazy. It keeps snowing.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Things sure have been pushed back a lot, I'm not entirely sure whether that's a good thing or bad thing but based on the forecast outcome it looks promising. It doesn't mean there won't be other goodies like the prospects of strait effect/upslope snows as cold air is drawn to the approaching low. It also gives the cold air in our interior outflow sources more time to deepen before it hits; that in itself will make it harder for the low to slam ashore, though it could get directed north (well offshore) or south around it (rapidly weakening). Currently cloudy at 30F with a 12F dewpoint here in Victoria.

• Like 2

Dude... go frame by frame on the 00Z ECMWF snow maps every 6 hours for the next 10 days. Its crazy. It keeps snowing.

I know.  I'm happy with the pattern overall.  It just seems like the details always go against this particular area is all.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I know.  I'm happy with the pattern overall.  It just seems like the details always go against this particular area is all.

You will not be saying that next week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Seattle is the new Juneau.

If the pattern evolves close to what the Euro is showing, everyone from Salem north will see plenty of snow. No sense worrying about downsloping or precip shadows at this point. The major players are in place, just need that low to stay weak enough and south enough.

A forum for the end of the world.

Things sure have been pushed back a lot, I'm not entirely sure whether that's a good thing or bad thing but based on the forecast outcome it looks promising. It doesn't mean there won't be other goodies like the prospects of strait effect/upslope snows as cold air is drawn to the approaching low. It also gives the cold air in our interior outflow sources more time to deepen before it hits; that in itself will make it harder for the low to slam ashore, though it could get directed north (well offshore) or south around it (rapidly weakening). Currently cloudy at 30F with a 12F dewpoint here in Victoria.

The airmass has sure dried this evening down there. It was still pretty saturated up here this afternoon, even some patchy fog. Looks like a good chance Victoria sees their biggest snowfall since 2012 on Friday

I took this picture late this afternoon looking west. Pretty cloudy afternoon with light flurries. High of 33F

IMG_0411.JPG

• Like 2

If i had to guess i would say we are looking at a 1996 and a 2008 hybrid. Been ahwile since we have seen the battle of the northern and southern stream over us.

They did some pretty serious battle in Jan. 2011, Jan. 2012, and late February 2014. The Southern Stream just largely won.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Here is what the 00z KING EURO EPS is showing for highs/lows for next Tue to Thu for Seattle, Yakima, Portland and The Dalles. BRRRRRR!

SEA: 33/28

34/25

34/27

YKM: 17/9

14/3

17/5

PDX: 34/28

32/25

34/24

DLS: 20/16

15/9

18/10

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Listening to the Fraser start to rev up again overnight. The steady outflow "hum" is back, and the last few gusts have rattled the windows.

26° as of 1am with gusts around 30mph.

I enjoy your reports up there! Hopefully that NE persists for the better part of the next couple weeks.

Confession:

The only Star Wars movie I've seen start to finish is the one that came out last Christmas.

Lol, I haven't watched a minute of Star Wars. You're fine.