January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

You made the call for the late January to mid February period way long ago as our best chance of a region wide event. You've spent so much time on this forum helping us understand more about weather. I hope all your hard work doesn't go to waste and the PNW sees its biggest region wide snowstorm since December 2008. You deserve to be right.

It looks like PDX may be left out of the "region-wide" event...

I wouldn't hang my hat on one runs snow map either way right now lol.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You made the call for the late January to mid February period way long ago as our best chance of a region wide event. You've spent so much time on this forum helping us understand more about weather. I hope all your hard work doesn't go to waste and the PNW sees its biggest region wide snowstorm since December 2008. You deserve to be right.

Thank you very much. Let's hope, lol.

• Like 1

It looks like PDX may be left out of the "region-wide" event...

It would be fitting in a way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not until you go at least 3 to 5 years with little to NO snow, while watching us get ours every year. Then you are allowed. As of today... NO, you have not earned it yet. ;)

Well said.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thank you very much. Let's hope, lol.

You're welcome. I remember around the same time last year you guys there on the East Coast were preparing for a Blizzard the first week of February. Even though it didn't affect me I tracked the event closely and was mesmerized at how much heavy snow was about to accumulate there. Flash forward to a year later and I'm hoping we will be able to experience something like that here in the PNW this coming week.

• Like 1

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

You're welcome. I remember around the same time last year you guys there on the East Coast were preparing for a Blizzard the first week of February. Even though it didn't affect me I tracked the event closely and was mesmerized at how much heavy snow was about to accumulate there. Flash forward to a year later and I'm hoping we will be able to experience something like that here in the PNW this coming week.

I'm rooting for you guys, especially the puget sound folks who've been shafted for 5 years now.

And yeah, that was a big one...3 feet in one day lol. I can't believe it's been a year already. The NWS employee living near me recorded 38". I measured about 35" but didn't clear the snowboard as often as recommended.

• Like 1

I'm rooting for you guys, especially the puget sound folks who've been shafted for 5 years now.

And yeah, that was a big one...3 feet in one day lol. I can't believe it's been a year already. The NWS employee living near me recorded 38". I measured about 35" but didn't clear the snowboard as often as recommended.

How often is recommended? 6 hrs?

How often is recommended? 6 hrs?

Yeah, that's the ideal frequency to account for compaction. Don't do it more frequently than once every 6hrs though.

I cleared mine once, then the snow really started pouring down and buried it and I couldn't find it. Same thing happened to the observers @ DCA, which is both ironic and hilarious.

• Like 1

Thursday afternoon through Friday evening. Moisture spreading south to north throughout the day

The precip looks real pathetic on basically all models. They seem to be implying that the models are underestimating the frontogenesis as the warm moist air runs into the dry cold. I doubt we see more than a trace.