The Winter Solstice Storm

Tom

All the models?

Yep, every last one, except the DGEX ofc..(j/k) I meant the big (3) globals. Some will say the GEM is puke. But it scores well, perhaps better on NW flow Clippers which are sometimes my bread-n-butter snow-makers like we've just seen. You can toss the GEM if you feel the need. Was speaking personally for mby

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

The GOM is open for business. I am seeing moisture building up down there. Something to keep an eye on the next few days.

It's great if we can get a load of it falling as snow in the next 7 days! 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Yep, every last one, except the DGEX ofc..(j/k) I meant the big (3) globals. Some will say the GEM is puke. But it scores well, perhaps better on NW flow Clippers which are sometimes my bread-n-butter snow-makers like we've just seen. You can toss the GEM if you feel the need. Was speaking personally for mby

gotcha.  Statistically the EURO still rules long term especially at 500 mb, but I do agree that the GFS is a nice model and the GGEM has its uses, though this setup up wouldn't be in its wheelhouse, but who knows this could be one of its coup's.

• Like 1

It's great if we can get a load of it falling as snow in the next 7 days! 

Right on! :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

After HR 84, 12z EPS members have quite the spread.  I'm still not convinced of a weak storm the 12z Euro op suggested.  For instance, the 12z Euro Control has a deepening storm as the wave from the south runs up the boundary and the storm seems to want to go neg tilt while a defo band forms across S/C WI.

Is the euro control like an average of all the runs? I never knew the difference between op Euro and euro control

The average would be the mean, not the control. As for the difference between OP and control, someone else can answer that.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Is the euro control like an average of all the runs? I never knew the difference between op Euro and euro control

I look at the Euro control as the "little brother" to the Euro Op.  Its one run, not an ensemble like the EPS.

Edit: Maybe its a higher resolution like the NAM models???  I'm not sure, maybe someone else can provide this info.

NWS GRB

The focus will continue to be on a potential winter storm, which
looks like it will be long-lived, impacting the region from
Wednesday night through Friday. The initial band of mainly light
snow is expected to arrive Wednesday evening and become focused
over northern WI. This will develop in the RRQ of an upper jet,
aided by WAA and mid-level frontogenetic forcing. RH timesections
show possible moisture concerns late Wednesday night into Thursday
morning, which could limit accumulations. The 12z ECMWF and GFS
both ramp the storm up on Thursday afternoon and night, as coupled
upper jets develop, and low pressure lifts northeast from the OK
Panhandle. The low has shifted farther south again, and is now
expected to track near Chicago/southern Lake Michigan. Suspect
that a band of 6 to 10 inches of snow will fall somewhere in the
forecast area, most likely from central into northeast WI, but
pinpointing the axis of heaviest snow is a low confidence forecast
this far out. Expect most of the precipitation to fall as snow,
though the ECMWF shows some minor dry slotting in our southern
counties, which could result in periodic freezing drizzle. This
storm has the potential to cause significant impacts on early
Christmas travel.

New nam way more south. And no i wouldnt be sitting confy. If euro had a good storm here and gfs didnt, i would pretty much feel like this aint happening lol.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Little tick north on the GFS compared to 12z it looks like. Weaker as well.

Tidbit from MPX:

The big point to make here

is that the operational GFS was near the top of the GEFS members

guidance last night, and now its near the bottom of the chart. So,

the GEFS members did not change much overall and the mean solution

still paints a 4-6" snowfall across much of southern MN and even the

southern and eastern metro area.

They also introduced snow mixed with freezing rain Wed night and Thurs. Wut?

• Like 1

Looks like unless there is a NW trend last minute, southern MN is going to steal yet another snow storm from my area. Still a while to go obviously, but getting closer to the event and the snow is getting further away. Guess we will wait and see what the king and GFS have to say at 00z. Surely a storm has to hit sometime, right?As a disclaimer this is a post talking of the major snows (6+), not any snow at all. Looking good for a couple as of right now around here.

12 GEFS - i counted only 5 of 21 members with enough snow for a white Christmas IMBY.  Not looking good.  Only a couple of the 21 members show any appreciable accumulating snow for my area from the Thursday system.  

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GEFS/2017121812/All_USANC_ASNOWIPER_sfc_174.gif

Interesting wording from DVN regarding the CMC and the storm it continues to show.

The overall flow pattern will undergo a significant change from what
it has been doing the past several weeks. Such a significant change
usually results in the development of a strong storm system. The CMC
global does develop such a storm while the ECMWF/GFS do not. The
ECMWF and GFS runs will need to be watched over the next 72 hours to
see if they start trending toward the CMC global.

why do you still have hope over this? 

Because why not? Why hope that the Huskers will be any better if they've sucked the past few years? It's because there is a chance, I don't care what anyone says. If we don't get it, that's fine. But like yesterday, NO ONE expected us to get snow in the morning, until the radar literally had snow falling. If we would have been cold enough we could've got like 3-4" out of that, and no one would have expected it. Remember 2 years ago, when Omaha got 8" on a random snow band that hovered over them? This is what I mean. Do I think we'll get anything like that? Nope. Neither does LNK_Wx. But we don't come here to be pessimistic, we come here because the potential for snow is there, and it's stupid to sit there and complain just to say "I told you so", versus being hopeful that there is something we can track.

• Like 7

Interesting wording from DVN regarding the CMC and the storm it continues to show.

Even the Mets are hoping that something comes out of all this mess. Maybe the Nam will throw us a bone, maybe for at least one run!

The fact that DVN is partially buying the CMC is certainly intriguing to say the least. Even if it was a semi-expected outcome, I still wouldn't put any stock in it. Especially when virtually all other guidance go against it.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Because why not? Why hope that the Huskers will be any better if they've sucked the past few years? It's because there is a chance, I don't care what anyone says. If we don't get it, that's fine. But like yesterday, NO ONE expected us to get snow in the morning, until the radar literally had snow falling. If we would have been cold enough we could've got like 3-4" out of that, and no one would have expected it. Remember 2 years ago, when Omaha got 8" on a random snow band that hovered over them? This is what I mean. Do I think we'll get anything like that? Nope. Neither does LNK_Wx. But we don't come here to be pessimistic, we come here because the potential for snow is there, and it's stupid to sit there and complain just to say "I told you so", versus being hopeful that there is something we can track.

I worked that morning not expecting more than a couple of inches and finally left when I realized, CRAP there's a lot more than that and it is still snowing! One of the weirdest sensations I ever had was driving in that snow. The plows hadn't made it out everywhere so I had to guess where the road was as the snow had covered everything in this perfectly even, flat blanket including over the curbs etc, so when you looked out your windshield, it was like one flat white landscape. It almost made you dizzy at times looking at it and just trying to drive straight ahead. You couldn't even see any tire tracks to follow. Made it the 4 or so miles through the unplowed streets, and then promptly got stuck at the beginning of my driveway at my house :D

• Like 2

Mkx has it all figured out....notging to see here folks, man their AFDS have gotten bad.

SHORT TERM... Tonight through Friday...Forecast confidence medium. The low stratus will continue to dissipate late this afternoon north of Milwaukee. Brisk swly winds and warm advection will continue tnt with a weak cold frontal passage to shift the gusty winds to wly on Tue, although sunshine and a drier airmass will make for mild temps. A sfc ridge and cooler temps will then return Tue nt. Middle to high clouds will increase on Wed with slight chances of light snow Wed aft-nt toward central WI as mid level frontogenesis begins. At the sfc, an inverted trough will extend nwd into WI for Thu with low pressure developing along the trough and tracking from MO to Lower MI. The low is not strong but a shortwave passage will occur Fri aft. The inverted trough will advect fairly mild air into srn WI producing a mixture of pcpn with more snow toward central WI and more rain toward IL. Also cannot rule out areas of freezing rain at times but believe icing will remain fairly minimal. .LONG TERM...Saturday through Monday...Forecast confidence medium. A mean longwave upper trough will set up from srn Canada swwd to the 4 Corners region and then gradually shift ewd. Shortwave troughs within this flow may bring light snow at times but only small chances for now. Cold advection will be ongoing with arctic air arriving around Christmas Day.

• Like 1