February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

Jaya are your thoughts still the same for tonight and tomorrow?

I am not at work, so don't see as much info (tropical tidbits is all I have seen so far).  My last night numbers may be a tad high, but I'm still on board with the general thoughts. The details really won't be seen until things are actually happening. 

• Like 1

This is looking like the second winter in a row where SEA and PDX could handily beat DCA for snowfall. Always nice to see.

Funny you mention that, because we’re actually getting pasted right now. It’s the chowder variety stuff here though, so I’m not sure if it’s even sticking in DC.

And I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m feeling an 8-12” paste bomb sometime in early/mid March. Would fit Niña climo like a glove. Hell, I’ll take anything to ease the transition into swamp season.

ICON, NAVGEM and ECMWF all have a pretty similar track for the Wednesday low, they keep things quite a bit further west and over the water. This is what we need to win.

navgem_mslp_pcpn_nwus_20.png

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_40.png

ecmwf_T850_nwus_6.png

This is in contrast to the GFS and GEM that have a weaker low that is further east. Hopefully team EURO wins this.

Looking excellent!

• Like 1

I really like the consistency of ICON.  It will be interesting to see if it works out. 

I tried pasting an animated gif I created but could not get it to post.  It is created by going to tropical tidbits and the NW region for the ICON model. Go to 00Z Mon for the Snow total graphic. Create a trend GIF for the last 12 runs at that time.  Look at the consistency. You won't find that with the other models. Now it may be consistently wrong, but so far I've seen some potential for this model.  Meso models are really meant for convection and seem to over mix things. The UW WRF has some other issues. 

I tried pasting an animated gif I created but could not get it to post. It is created by going to tropical tidbits and the NW region for the ICON model. Go to 00Z Mon for the Snow total graphic. Create a trend GIF for the last 12 runs at that time. Look at the consistency. You won't find that with the other models. Now it may be consistently wrong, but so far I've seen some potential for this model. Meso models are really meant for convection and seem to over mix things. The UW WRF has some other issues.

Thanks for all your input. Hope the ICON is right!

Would be cool to have a big snow event when I am in dc in a couple weeks!

43 with moderate rain when I left the house an hour ago.

Probably a midnight high tomorrow.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The ICON has been consistent in showing big snow accumulations eastern PDX metro. Now it's moving more snow west. Everything is trending positively now. If everything goes well this coming week there could be some huge snowfall accumulations in and around PDX Metro.

Tomorrow and the coming week will be a pretty good test to see if the ICON is the real deal.

• Like 1

He was talking about the BC interior. Single digits would basically be unheard of for the I-5 corridor this late in the season, even if the cold air were moving in straight from the NE.

I was skeptical of the GFS cold outbreak as well but have been following Yukon temps and it is verifying and you can see the front marching south into central BC at the moment on satt.  I think it is going to be colder than most expect unless the slider pulls the jet further east, but it appears the arctic front has already pulled west of the rockies in BC so we don't have that protection anymore. 

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/cn/Temperature.html

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gfs_amer_12/TT_TT_PN_012_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gfs_amer_12/TT_TT_PN_048_0000.gif

Funny you mention that, because we’re actually getting pasted right now. It’s the chowder variety stuff here though, so I’m not sure if it’s even sticking in DC.

And I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m feeling an 8-12” paste bomb sometime in early/mid March. Would fit Niña climo like a glove. Hell, I’ll take anything to ease the transition into swamp season.

:lol: 70s to snow can't write a better scripture then that in a La nina

Hi-res 3km NAM looks very anemic for pretty much everyone between BLI and OLM, unfortunately. Shows very little snow for most places within 20 mi of the water. Can't imagine that scenario actually happening.

We see it nearly every time with these situations.  Going by past experience is best.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Both coasts get to score simultaneously, lol. When was the last time that happened? (Hope this isn’t too OT).

Just a taste of the bliss that awaits you guys.

VoCrob9.jpg

bwGX4PF.jpg

• Like 3

Two steps back today for monthly cold anomaly enthusiasts, ICON bailing on us, sunbreaks and a pretty pathetic front so far. Frustrating afternoon out there.

I sure don't see this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Winds have already shifted north almost down to the border.  This storm is very dynamic with some crazy winds being reported from various directions in many locations.  No reason to be disappointed about anything at this point IMO.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Two steps back today for monthly cold anomaly enthusiasts, ICON bailing on us, sunbreaks and a pretty pathetic front so far. Frustrating afternoon out there.

Don't stand by idle and let it happen. Resist! Air your frustrations on social media!!!

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.